JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dish PVR/DVR and 811 Tip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assumptions:

I understand that a "function" is somewhat like a programming variable in that it has an arbitrary name and it serves as an identifier used to associate with an additional identifier, an EFC number, which is associated with the acutal pulse sequences sent to the remote. I understand that Buttons are non-arbitrary names that are the actual names of buttons on the remote, and that a button name from the remote should be assoicated with a function name, which has been assigned to an EFC, which is associated with a IR pulse sequence. Is this correct?

I understand that (in my past experience) to create an unknown remote code, I took a remote with unknown code, played each key into a learned key on my JP1 remote, and wrote down what key I was pressing for each learned key. I then opened IR, downloaded from remote and wrote down the Protocol/Device/SubDevice/EFC from all the learned keys and from that, built a function table in KM of the functions I had written down with the associated EFCs (after first selecting the Protocol/Device/Subdevice on the KM Setup menu that was the same I had seen all learned keys). I then went to buttons and assigned each function to the button I wanted.

Problem:
This method worked fine until I was forced to change my second Dish remote to an altered code remote code and found it uses both Device 0 and 1. At a total loss, you were kind enough to send me the example KM upgrade for this remote that might work with the dual device codes. I tested it and it did not seem to work (or I did something wrong?) I then started looking at functions in KM and noticed that none of the EFC #s assigned to the functions in your KM file were close to what I had seen in the "learned keys" section, so I assumed that maybe I needed to correct the EFC numbers. This was assumed after first testing the new upgrade code and finding nothing was working. However, I am not sure what is going on with using this advanced method because the coding there is way over my head. Maybe you were setting something via the complex other options on the "manual" remote code?????

Where should I go from here? Thanks! (again!!!)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One point of clarification (as you didn't mention this in your last post). When you enter the data for functions, as you described, you have the choice of entering them using EFCs or OBCs. If the functions in Jon's file appear to use codes vastly different than the EFCs you were expecting, did you first check that he had selected EFC as the button style in KM's Setup sheet before you changed them?

Also, when dealing with the Dish protocols, it's generally a good idea to work with OBCs rather than EFCs. This is because the UEI executors keep changing, and the EFC values associated with a given command sometimes change when the unit code changes.

So, go back to your list of data taken from the learned commands and compare the OBCs with the ones in Jon's file.

If you come across a Dish file where the codes have been entered using EFCs and you want to change them to OBCs, use KM's "SWAP" button.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Tried again - still failing Reply with quote

OK, this time I took the original upgrade you sent me (above) loaded it into KM, then attempted to copy it into IR. I first copied the S3C8 protocol block into IR by selecting protocols/add and pasted it in there. It added that protocol with name of "Protocol $0002". I then copied the entire "upgrade block" into clipboard and pasted into IR by selecting devices/add. The code added OK and it requested a device name but it came in as DVD/VCR rather than PVR (I assume since the 8810 does not have PVR button) and I assigned it to my unused CABLE botton. You are right, now I see that DVR/VCR 1775 does not seem to override my pre-existing SAT 1775 in the devices list in IR.

However, when I uploaded this to my remote, the test addition, PVR 2 (CABLE) does not respond to any of the commands and now PVR 1 fails to respond to any commands when I use SAT (this worked before I uploaded new protocol and new DVR/VCR upgrade code).

Still stumped .....
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don - Which model DVR are you using? I just created two new KM files for my two receivers. One is for a 721, the other for an 811. (They're based on two exisiting files in the Yahoo files area, with some functions added or changed, and remapped to my 2116.)
I believe the 811 file would work with a 50x/510, I'm not sure about a 522.
The 721 file is set for remote address 1, and the 811 for address 3. (I use both receivers at the same location.)
I will be uploading them to Yahoo either today or tomorrow. Maybe they'll help you.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me how jon's upgrade should work? Is OV the value that controls if Device 0 or Device 1 is being sent and if so, should the OBC/EFC match exactly what I saw with the learned keys and should the OV be the flag that makes it the correct device?

Also, in KM, when I enter an EFC, the OBC changes automatically?
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, with this altered protocol, the EFC does not match what was read from the learned keys but the OBC does match and jon assigned all the correct OBC number it looks like. However, (sniff, sniff) it still doesn't work Sad
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary I have a DVR522 on unaltered remote code and a DVR 508 on a remote code 11 but I don't have to use 11, I would be happy to change it to 1 if your code will work for me. I know when I use remote code 11, the learned keys show that 2 device codes (0,1) are used instead of 1 (0) which is the norm for an unaltered remote. Let me know and I will test yours when you have time to upload it. Thanks!
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This following applies to protocols that use single byte hex commands.

EFC, OBC, and Hex are (for the most part) different representations of the same information. For reasons known only to UEI, the EFC is an encoding of the Hex. The OBC is the Original Button Code, and there are different ways of converting the OBC to Hex depending on how the protocol is written. Sometimes the OBC is less than a full byte. When this happens, the ov (overflow) field in KM changes to show that the value of the extra bits in the EFC and Hex that the OBC doesn't contain.

In this case the OBC is only 6 bits, so there are 2 more bits in the EFC/Hex command that cannot be represented in the OBC.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just modified the original file (same link) to use OBC's. The problem is that when you swap EFC/OBC you loose the "ov" data. Using OBC, this is now entered in the byte 2 column. I have already done all that.

I also changed it to PVR/1780. So in IR you should change the cable device button to device type VCR (this allows more directly assigned buttons than CBL) and setup code 1780.

I just looked at the commands that you learned and all the OBC's in this upgrade map to exactly the same functions as the ones you learned.

As a number of people have mentioned in the case of Dish the EFC's for the 8811 will vary. If you dig into it there would be 4 valid EFC's for each OBC -- any of the four would work. Unfortunately that is understandably confusing. So forget EFC just use OBC.

This device upgrade should work. Assign the buttons where you want them in the buttons tab.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still failing. Started from scrach. Reloaded my remote with original image of previously working IR file. Tested using SAT (customized 1775 code) to control PVR1 - worked OK. Loaded source "Manual 1780 file" from previos page into KM. Copied protocol from KM to IR protocols. Copied device code from KM to IR devices. It came in as a VCR/DVD code 1780, asked me what button to assign, I gave it CABLE. CABLE button would not control PVR 2 (alternate remote code 11). Also, it killed all my previously working PVR 1 functions (using SAT to altered device code 1775).
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the file saved in IR from this latest attempt. It sounds like you didn't change the Cable Device Button (where you assigned setup code 1780) to type to Type=VCR in the General Tab of IR.
donphillipe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the IR file: WalmartDS5
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - I've posted the 811 KM file set for address 3 and the 721 file set for address 1 in the files/device codes/satellite folder on the JP1 Yahoo Group. They probably both work for most Dish models, since they use the same protocol. I haven't tested them as such. If so, they should be a good fit for anyone with two Dish recveivers in the same room.

The buttons are logically mapped to the 2116/2117 for extreme ease-of-use. And because the two files are different addresses, work well with the two receivers that I have sitting next to each other. (I assigned the 721 file to the SAT device, and the 811 file to the CABLE device on my 2116.) Both files are button-mapped identically, BTW.

I will attempt to link here, but no guarantees. Yahoo folder links are notoriously untrustworthy:

gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garypen wrote:
I will attempt to link here, but no guarantees. Yahoo folder links are notoriously untrustworthy:

You have not created the links correctly. Please see the link in my sig. about how to do it.

The corrected links are:
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know. I did read it. And it didn't really click with me. I'll read it again, though.

In the mean time, if the reader simply right clicks on the link, and chooses "save target as", he/she can save the KM txt file just fine. (Your links seem to work the same way, so I'm wondering what the diff is?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: