JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6131 : Keymove problem with device combiner protocol.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdwheaton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: URC-6131 : Keymove problem with device combiner protocol. Reply with quote

URC-6131 : Keymove problem with device combiner protocol.

Hey all,

I am NOT using any extenders at this time with the URC-6131.

Using RM, and the DeviceCombiner protocol, I successfully created a protocol combining the following protocols :

Dishplayer(old)
NEC1
NECx1

Now, I have 4 devices that are using this protocol.

1. Dishplayer 522 (Dishplayer(old))
2. DVD portion of a Zenith home theater in a box (NECx1)
3. VCR portion of a Zenith home theater in a box (NEC1)
4. Tuner portion of a Zenith home theater in a box (NECx1)

I created the protocol because I had a large number of keymoves to accomplish the tasks of being able to control many of the aspects of the Zenith home theater in a box from all devices.

I now find that almost all the old keymoves are no longer necessary and work fine.

However, after all the changes, I still require a few keymoves because I want to use the PIP, SWAP, and MOVE keys to toggle my Zenith home theater in a box from VCR / DVD / Tuner modes. Using RM, I assigned the function buttons to the PIP, SWAP, and MOVE for my DVD and my VCR devices. Since those buttons are not part of the button suite for those two devices, they show up as keymoves.

That would be OK with me, however, they don't seem to work.

When I try to select one of those buttons defined by those keymoves, the "send" light comes on and stays on permanently.

Are these keymoves possible, or do I need to upload my files to see what I've done wrong ?

Thanks all,
mw
Herbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably the usual problem with unextended 6131 keymoves. The 6131 stores its keymoves differently, so you can't enter them in the usual fashion from IR (unless you're using the extender, which uses the "regular" format).

You should be able to do the keymoves manually on the remote.

Do a search on "6131 keymove" and you should find TONS of explanation and workarounds, etc.
mdwheaton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: URC-6131 : Keymove problem with device combiner protocol. Reply with quote

Quote:
This is probably the usual problem with unextended 6131 keymoves. The 6131 stores its keymoves differently, so you can't enter them in the usual fashion from IR (unless you're using the extender, which uses the "regular" format).

You should be able to do the keymoves manually on the remote.

Do a search on "6131 keymove" and you should find TONS of explanation and workarounds, etc.

Yep, understood, the issue comes in that these "keymoves" are actually internal keymoves since the function is defined in RM and assigned to a button. The keymoves are automatically generated in RM. I am not creating them in IR.

This method works fine when not using the DeviceCombiner protocol, and without having to do manual keymoves on the remote.

If I have to do keymoves, then I need to put the original ones on keys that are in the suite of keys for the VCR, or I need to add them to another device that I only assign to a device button temporarily for the keymoves.

Anyone else see any reason why the DC in RM with keymoves should be defunct ?

Thanks,
mw
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the unextended 6131 remote, you cannot use key moves from any 2-byte protocols like the DC. We have not yet determined if they're supported, or, if they are, what the actual data format is. You should be able to use DC key moves with the 6131 extender, since it supports the "normal" key move format.

You might be able to do them directy on the unextended remote. First, you would need to create an upgrade that mapped the codes you want to key move to standard key map buttons, and then assign that code to a device button. Then do a 994 key move from that device to your DC device. I don't know if this will work, but I think it's worth a shot.
mdwheaton

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might be able to do them directy on the unextended remote. First, you would need to create an upgrade that mapped the codes you want to key move to standard key map buttons, and then assign that code to a device button. Then do a 994 key move from that device to your DC device. I don't know if this will work, but I think it's worth a shot.

Thanks Mark, that's what I was *trying* to say in my last post Smile.

I've done that before, assigning them to real keys in a device, moving them, then not assigning the device to any device key.

I'll give it a try...and, if no-go, on to the Extender !

I'll probably go to it anyway, as I believe I can get better "Home Theater" support with it ?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, and I know you are using the DC for the Zenith, Rob recently put together a single byte protocol upgrade for Dish Network (fka Dishplayer (old) protocol) that allows one device upgrade to do all the Dish commands.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others have said, you can't use 2 byte keymoves with the un-extended URC-6131 (yet), but there's a REALLY simple solution that I'm surprised nobody has suggested yet.

If there are built in setup codes that work the basic functions for all of the devices that you have combined, you can still create keymoves using those setup codes. Alternatively, you could create mini-upgrades for those setup codes if they're not built into the remote. Finally, what mark suggest will work, you can create another upgrade that contains all the buttons that you want to program via keymoves, then you can keymove them onto real buttons. If you know the keycode of the button thet holds the EFC in this upgrade, you can enter the hex code for that in IR as a keymove.

OK, I know I lost you on that last step, so here's a better explanation. Lets say that you've assigned the VCR-MENU command to the POWER button in this upgrade, the keycode for the POWER button is $03, so to create a keymove that uses the VCR-MENU function, you would select the setup code of this upgrade and then you'd select the HEX option and enter $03.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: