JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA 8800 Producer 8: Batteries die quickly!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpearse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: OFA 8800 Producer 8: Batteries die quickly! Reply with quote

I have the One for All URC-8800 B01 remote. Nice remote but the batteries only last about 2 weeks. Even without using the backlight, or even pressing a single button for that matter, the batteries just drain. Anyone else seen this issue???
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something's definitely wrong with your remote, this is not normal. I don't know enough about the hardware on the remote to know what might be causing it though.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OFA 8800 Producer 8: Batteries die quickly! Reply with quote

bpearse wrote:
I have the One for All URC-8800 B01 remote. Nice remote but the batteries only last about 2 weeks. Even without using the backlight, or even pressing a single button for that matter, the batteries just drain. Anyone else seen this issue???

Rob's right, it's definitely not normal. I know less about the hardware than he does, but I have one question. Does the LCD ever go off? If something caused the LCD to stay on all the time that would definitely explain the rapid battery draining.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, even the LCD being on shouldn't drain that much power. Now, if a button was being held down and the remote was sending a signal for all that time, that would definitely explain it.
bpearse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. The LCD screen does turn off after about 10 seconds, and the light also does not stay on. But the light does 'buzz' when it is on. Odd.

Well, no big deal. I am getting a pair of brand new 6131's from Robman anyway, so the old 8800 will just have to collect dust somewhere. I had been hoping to use it as a backup, and to enable me to control by new Motorola 6200 HDTV STB so that I can record to my JVC 30000 D-VHS using firewire. The JVC does not do timed records for firewire input, and the moto box will not control the JVC. So I need a timed remote, which the 8800 is.

Last edited by bpearse on Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you've saved the configuration in IR (or don't care about losing the current setup), you could try a full reset to see if that helps with the problem.
bpearse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. How do I do a full reset. I have already backed up the programming in the remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the manuals section of my site and select the URC-8800 manual, it's described in there. Look for service menu.
bargain_pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "buzzing" sound is from the invertor, this remote uses electrolumiscent back-light which actually runs on high voltage AC power. Invertor converts DC to high voltage AC power. Consequently this kind of light is more power hungry.

Even after this fact about back-light, batteries should last for couple of months. So there is definitely something wrong with the remote.

I had a 8910 (I bought it from liquidation sale) had a same problems with the batteries except that my batteries lasted only 1 night!! Just to give you idea that there is something wrong (That triggers all of a sudden in some remotes) in ALL OFA remotes' base design.

Thanks,
Jiagr
mchero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpearse wrote:
Good idea. How do I do a full reset. I have already backed up the programming in the remote.

bpearse

Could you get a camcorder or digital camera and look at that IR on that remote with fresh batteries? If you see the IR flashing might be the cause of the battery drain.

Robert
S13dg3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an OFA 9660 which used to suck AAA batteries dry within weeks. Though not officially stated in their support FAQs, I had an email reply from their tech support stating I could use NiMH rechargeables. At the moment, I find these the best option as $10 worth of 900mAh rechargeables (one set always charged up, one set in remote) I never have any problems, even with the sickening current usage of the EL display technology.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9960 is a "Kameleon" remote which are well known for sucking batteries dry. The question raised in this old thread that you just brought back to life was related to the URC-8800 "Producer 8" remote which is not a kameleon and should not use batteries that quickly. Therefore our conclusion is that there is something wrong with the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: