JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Learning digit codes for cheap ebay pc controller remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Learning digit codes for cheap ebay pc controller remote Reply with quote

I have one of the cheap usb no name remotes from ebay.
I wan to learn the number codes but as the letter and number codes are on the same remote key I am unable to learn the code.
I have tried using the rm\km avaiable in the file download area but non seem to work--all I need are the number codes
Thanx
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be this remote?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17329
smbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures of remote
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311558397797

and and have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281468655173

Have tried all 4 usb files without success
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second link is the same as mine, this upgrade will work:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6183

I'm not sure about the number code though, can it be used on the original remote? Never found how....
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbs,

Make sure you understand how the original remote works first. It's likely that the num keys always send the same code, but the receiver needs to see a num lock signal first. Or num lock enables it to send a different code. So try to learn with and without num lock preceding and see if there is any difference in the signal.

Better still, get a good PC remote that uses MCE or Ortek protocol, for which we have good, working codes. These no name ones are terrible on many levels and not worth the $6US that you paid.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the picture of the remote, my assumption is that you have to press the button multiple times to get different values, kind of like how you would send a text on an old fashioned cell phone using the number pad. So, looking at the "2" button for example, the first press would send "2', then "a", then "b", then "c". In reality, the remote would be sending the same signal each time but the PC/receiver would change the text entered from the first value to the second, etc.
smbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carll

Thanx downloaded file not working for me- regarding numbers thats what I am looking for --I have a working app similar to vlc which works with the above remote except for numbers so I want to copy this remote to my RCA RCRP05B where numbers are more accessible -Have managed to learn all keys except the numbers thats my problem
Mdavej/The Robman

Correct! the number entering is like the old cell phone--tested the remote using notepad and the letter/number entering is very erratic thus unusable.
Regarding remotes I have in addition to the RCA a URC-8910B02 which for some unknown reason is not recognized by rmir.exe (the RCA is recognized)
Any ideas why the URC is not found? HELP WOULD BE GREAT!
I have a Diamond RC118N for windows media center
I have a HP media center remote but having trouble installing the driver called Microsoft ehome infrared receiver.
Could any of the above help?
Many thanx
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have upgrades for the Diamond and HP. The HP driver should be built in.

If you could use either of those IR receivers instead of the no-name, you'll get working numbers.

Diamond: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12311

HP: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11769
(There are many files that work with the HP, but this is one of the most complete ones.)

Your 8910 won't work with the same cable as your RCA unless you have one of these:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbs wrote:
Correct! the number entering is like the old cell phone--tested the remote using notepad and the letter/number entering is very erratic thus unusable.

While I expect that the OEM remote is sending the same signal each time, you should confirm that bu learning one of the number buttons 4 or 5 times in a row (to different buttons), just so you can compare the learns to verify that they all use the same codes.

And am I right that when you say the number buttons don't work properly, you are talking about using learned signals rather than an upgrade, right? If so, could you post an RMIR file that contains the learns so we can inspect them. We should be able to create an upgrade for you that will (hopefully) work better than your learns. We should also see if you have made any mistakes in the learning process.
smbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
smbs wrote:

While I expect that the OEM remote is sending the same signal each time, you should confirm that bu learning one of the number buttons 4 or 5 times in a row (to different buttons), just so you can compare the learns to verify that they all use the same codes.

And am I right that when you say the number buttons don't work properly, you are talking about using learned signals rather than an upgrade, right? If so, could you post an RMIR file that contains the learns so we can inspect them. We should be able to create an upgrade for you that will (hopefully) work better than your learns. We should also see if you have made any mistakes in the learning process.

Sorry I did not make myself clear I tested the remote itself by opening notepad and then pressing each key on the remote to see which letter appeared in the notepad screen- when pressing the number pads the only letters which displayed correctly on the screen was the first letter of the specific button constant pressing of the same button gives a chain of all letters in the alphabet so really no hope! Hope I made myself clear.
smbs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
We have upgrades for the Diamond and HP. The HP driver should be built in.

If you could use either of those IR receivers instead of the no-name, you'll get working numbers.

Diamond: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12311

HP: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11769
(There are many files that work with the HP, but this is one of the most complete ones.)

Your 8910 won't work with the same cable as your RCA unless you have one of these:
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html

Thanx for the info will try tomorrow
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbs wrote:
The Robman wrote:
smbs wrote:

Sorry I did not make myself clear I tested the remote itself by opening notepad and then pressing each key on the remote to see which letter appeared in the notepad screen- when pressing the number pads the only letters which displayed correctly on the screen was the first letter of the specific button constant pressing of the same button gives a chain of all letters in the alphabet so really no hope! Hope I made myself clear.

When you say "chain of all letters in the alphabet" do you mean if you keep pressing "2", you will see ABCDEF... on the screen?

Also, you didn't answer my question about learned signals vs. upgrade, and posting your file.
smbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
smbs wrote:
The Robman wrote:
smbs wrote:

When you say "chain of all letters in the alphabet" do you mean if you keep pressing "2", you will see ABCDEF... on the screen?

Also, you didn't answer my question about learned signals vs. upgrade, and posting your file.

Correct I see ABCDEF... as you stated as well as the digit of the specific key which appears in the string.
I have no file learned signals vs upgrade.
I now have a bigger problem---with all my playing around I seem to have bricked my RCA--with new good batteries inserted no lights flicker and the remote seems dead also get "no remote found" when using cable and rmir. Anything I can do???
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not using learned signals, and you're not using an upgrade, what exactly are you doing? Are you saying that you can't get the numbers to work on the original remote? I assumed you were using your RCA remote to do this.
smbs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you're not using learned signals, and you're not using an upgrade, what exactly are you doing? Are you saying that you can't get the numbers to work on the original remote? I assumed you were using your RCA remote to do this.

Sorry if I was unclear
I was using learned signals but could not use learned signals for numbers due to old cellphone multipush buttons
As I said at bottom of my post above my RCA now seems bricked---I tried to upload a file to the remote and after unplugging the jp1 cable the cbl button starting flashing and then other device buttons flashed for awhile. I removed the batteries and replaced new ones and the remote is completely dead no light flicker and not found by rmir when connected.
I have a copy of the file .rmir which I uploaded which I think caused the trouble. Any factory reset combo??
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: