JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help optimizing memory use on my 8800
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Need help optimizing memory use on my 8800 Reply with quote

I'm using the basic RDF for the URC-8800 and have things worked out fairly well, but I'm rapidly running out of move/macro memory. On the other hand, my upgrade memory area is virtually empty (and seems to be larger than the move/macro area).

Is there a way to rearrange things so that I can use the larger memory space to accomplish the same end result as I currently have?

My IR.exe configuration is here:
[url=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/URC8800%20(2004-03-25%20Mark's%20Setup)%20v5.txt]URC8800 (2004-03-25 Mark's Setup) v5.txt[/url]
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the first things you could do is create an upgrade for the 0004 device and that way you can remove the keymoves for that device and save about 40 bytes in keymove memory.

I would also consider going to the extender since it will give you the capability to change the 7 or so MOVE button keymoves into one macro and save another 20 to 30 bytes in keymove memory.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils, I agree on the Move buttons, but (probably showing my ignorance here) why would he need to use an extender to put a Macro on the Move key. Will the 8800 go into a loop. I just tried it on my trusty unextended 1994 and it didn't loop. If the 8800 will loop with those macros, you can always assign them to the shifted Move key.

Also, Nils, Mark has a Denon HTIB that needs Denon 2 and 12 for the tuner functions in one device so he is just moving the device 12 button to the other device. I think there will be one extra key move from device 4 than if it were the other way around, but this is a work in progress.

Mark, what Nils is basically suggesting is that a Macro assigned to a key does the same thing in every device mode. So if you always want the 1 button to be the TV device numeral 1 button in every device mode, then a Macro assigned to the numeral 1 button that is for TV|1 will, any time that button is pressed, execute the macro which is TV 1.

Mark you leave the the tuner device Move button key move and then a Macro bound to the Move key for Tuner|Move and delete the others.

If that would work, you could also eliminate the key moves TV|TV-SAT with a Macro on the TV/SAT button for TV|TV-SAT. BTW, Mark you assigned the EFC 184 to the TV|TV-SAT button and AFAIK that is what it already is. So with that Macro you can eliminate those 4 key moves.

You also assigned the Discrete power commands from Tuner/1902 twice once to Discrete Off and On and also to Power and shift-power. Since ou have a device upgrade you can add those keys in the device upgrade and save a net 8 bytes of memory.

Also, there may be a reason that I don't understand, but you assigned TV/Vol+/- to the shifted TV/ Vol+/- buttons and I don't think you need that.

With those changes and eliminations I think it now will have 79 bytes available.

I think you should try the extender, but fix the items above first and see what else you want to do first with the additional space.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Nils, I agree on the Move buttons, but (probably showing my ignorance here) why would he need to use an extender to put a Macro on the Move key. Will the 8800 go into a loop. I just tried it on my trusty unextended 1994 and it didn't loop. If the 8800 will loop with those macros, you can always assign them to the shifted Move key.
The reason I suggested the extender for the macro is because without it there is no way to get back to the device it was executed from since for ex. the macro would have to be "TV:Move" which would always leave the device in TV after the macro ended. With the extender it would be "PushDev:TV:Move:PopDev" which would always return to the device it was executed from.
mhe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints. I'll see what I can do. Other than what Nils mentions at the end, are there other benefits to running the extender?

BTW, the reason for the shift-volume on the TV is so that I can control the TV volume (rarely need to if ever) instead of the Tuner volume which is assigned to the unshifted volume buttons (by VPT or keymove).
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the highlights of what the extender provides.

-Key moves or macros can be added to any button including the device buttons
-Doesn't require that you press record twice
-Both the magic (the "p" key) and SHIFT key act to shift the next key only
-Keymoves or Macros can be assigned either to Magic (SETUP in IR) or shift
-Volume punch through will now punch through to all devices. Key moves still take precendence over VPT.
-Discrete codes for backlight (LightOn, LightOff, & LightToggle).
-Macros can call other macros
-Learning keys (1L through 6L) can now be programmed through IR!
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
The reason I suggested the extender for the macro is because without it there is no way to get back to the device it was executed from ...

Duh!, very polite response, Nils Smile

One more advantage is that extenders speed up macros pretty dramatically for me (but I don't have the 8800/9800), for that reason alone I don't think I could go back
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Duh!, very polite response, Nils Smile

I try but I can tell you my wife has a very different opinion on how I respond Laughing
mhe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it is time for me to venture into the realm of the Extender. Smile
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhe4 wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it is time for me to venture into the realm of the Extender. Smile
Once you try it you will never go back....

I guess I am an extender bigot since you can really make a remote dance with an extender even if you don't use most of the features.

On the other hand, Rob will probably say "I can do everything you do without one" Evil or Very Mad
mhe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this, I may have to try to understand the ToadTOG thing so I can make the remote wife proof and include the cable box power which is a TOAD.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToadTogs are fun.. The tough one is the first one but they are pretty easy after that.
mhe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now I'm confused.

If I make the macros you suggest and a macro on a key executes the macro in every device, how can I make a macro on the TV/SAT button that calls the TV|TV/SAT button? Wouldn't that loop if it was presses while in the TV device?

Can you really make a macro bound to the same key the macro contains as a command?

I haven't tried it, but it just doesn't make sense to me. There must be something about how macros work that I don't understand yet.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some tricky ways to make macros recognize button functions on the same button a macro is on but that won't work the way you are thinking and you are right it could cause a loop.

The best way to do it is to put the code on a button within a device that you don't use like on the shifted-1 button in TV then make a macro on say the TV channel+ button that looks like TV:Shift-1
mhe4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what Jon wrote earlier:
jon_armstrong wrote:
Mark you leave the the tuner device Move button key move and then a Macro bound to the Move key for Tuner|Move and delete the others.

won't work as typed. I need to do what you suggest:
Nils_Ekberg wrote:
put the code on a button within a device that you don't use like on the shifted-1 button in TV then make a macro on say the TV channel+ button that looks like TV:Shift-1

and make a keymove/assignment for the code currently on the Move button in the Tuner device to somewhere not used and then make a macro on the Move button that calls that code. This will then cause the Move button in any device to call the code in the macro. Right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: