JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Xsight Lite/Plus compared to Color/Touch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pelago

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Xsight Lite/Plus compared to Color/Touch Reply with quote

Anyone who has both an Xsight Lite or Plus (either of those) and an Xsight Color or Touch (either of those), can they given their opinion on how they compare? I'm lumping Xsight Lite and Plus together as they are similar enough for my comparison, similarly Xsight Color and Touch are similar enough.

I've just got myself a Nevo C2 aka Xsight Color. Although it works OK, I don't like the way the buttons for device menu navigation, volume, program change, and transport feel under the thumb. They are mostly flat to the touch, with very little separating them, making it hard to know exactly which button you're pressing without looking at the remote. Maybe I'll get used to it over time, but at the moment I think I'd prefer a remote with more separated buttons.

Also, the screen is sometimes hard to see, especially from angles, and the blue backlight on the keys actually makes it harder to see them in many circumstances I find.

So I was wondering how the Lite or Plus compare. On pictures, the buttons are a lot more separate, but I don't know how they "feel". Is the screen any better than the Color/Touch? Do they have backlit buttons and is that OK?

I can probably cope with the fewer devices. I think I might get annoyed by the lack of six individual buttons for the screen options, instead having to scroll up and down. But if the main buttons feel better and are easier to use by feel only, that might persuade me.

Last edited by pelago on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all of the above. The buttons on the Lite are indeed all raised and have a good bit of resistance and a soft click. Everything is nicely backlit. The screen is certainly lower quality and resolution, but easy to read from most angles. The motion switch isn't as sensitive as the Touch/Color, so you sometimes have to give it a little shake when you pick it up.

As you already know, the biggest difference is having to scroll among 3 things on the screen at a time which does get a little annoying for me. I still use the Lite in a few rooms that have only 2 or 3 devices.

Another drawback to me is the soft rubber coating. Nearly all of mine if deteriorated and gotten sticky. This can be fixed with talc and other solutions, but ultimately detracts from the look and feel.

The Touch/Color buttons are more flush, but just as easy for me to use by feel due to the shapes. It just takes some time to learn the more subtle cues.

The Lite is cheap enough that giving it a try for yourself is very low risk.
pelago

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej. I can get the Xsight Lite on eBay UK easily and cheap enough, although I can't see any Pluses there.

I actually prefer the look of the Lite over the glossy Plus, but I'd prefer 12 devices over 6. If I find I really like the form-factor, I might consider buying both and swapping the cicrcuitboards!

It's a real shame about the scrolling of three items at the top. I'd really rather have the side buttons like the Color (I deliberately didn't pick the Touch as I prefer real buttons to touchscreens).

In an ideal fantasy world, instead of a screen, in addition to menu, volume, program change, transport, numbers and colour buttons, I'd like an additional eight or more physical buttons, easily distinguishable by feel/location, that had e-ink or OLED displays that would change depending on the current device or activity. I don't suppose there's been anything like that?

Is there any sign that UEI might bring out a new model soon?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xsight line was a failed experiment for UEI. I doubt we'll ever see anything like it ever again from them, unfortunately. More screen-less remotes like the "Simple" are most likely. As far as I can tell, most, if not all, of the Xsight line was discontinued 5 years ago, and they've released nothing like it since.

The old Kameleon works a bit like what you described but on a very rudimentary level.

I was mistaken about the Lite. I don't have any of those after all. I only have the Plus (12 device model). I'm afraid the Lite is NOT backlit, from what I've read, and has an even cheaper LCD:
http://www.digitalversus.com/universal-remote/one-all-xsight-lite-p10309/test.html
Vyrolan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several of different Xsight from back in the day...many still in the original boxes never opened... I saw them as more advanced remotes that were still fully customizable so I was buying them up... If anyone is interested in acquiring some, let me know......otherwise they'll continue to sit there waiting for me to one day start using them. :p
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: