JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to handle device and OBC values with 8 hex digits?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CEDTV1999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:12 am    Post subject: How to handle device and OBC values with 8 hex digits? Reply with quote

For example: D21E 50 8E?
I have been able to set up a rmdu for my Onkyo PR-SC886 based upon the configuration EZ-EC established. I added all of the device and OBC values from a spreadsheet sourced from Onkyo (via AVS Forum), circa 2010. The vast majority of the values are 6 digit hex numbers. My understanding of the 6 digit values are: ppddbb, where pp relates to the Protocol, dd is the device number, and bb is the OBC.

I thank you in advance,

Carl
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6 hex digit versions are ordinary NEC1 IR protocol signals, formatted as ddssbb, where dd is the Device, ss is the Subdevice, and bb is the OBC. NEC1 signals are actually 4 bytes in length, but as a convention, normally the 3rd byte is the OBC, and the 4th byte is the binary complement of the 3rd byte. So ddssbb suffices to describe the signals.

The 8 hex digit Onkyo IR signals break the convention: the 3rd and 4th bytes are not related. We have chosen to call this IR protocol NEC1-f16, implying 16 bits of function number. So now we need ddssbbxx. We have two executors which can handle this situation. See also this post.

1) NEC-f16 3Fixed can be used for signals in which the first 6 hex digits stay the same. The advantage is it takes very little space in the remote, needing just one byte per signal plus 3bytes of fixed data and 26 bytes of executor length. Probably this isn't much of an issue with your '18G.
2) NEC1-f16 Official is brute force. The executor is built into the '18G, and it needs no fixed data. But you do need to enter in all 4 bytes of the NEC IR protocol. So you'd need to convert the 6 hex digit signals to 8 hex digits (and then to decimal for use in RMIR). The extra two digits (described as OBC2 in RMIR) are the binary complement of the OBC, meaning OBC1 and OBC2 should sum to 0xFF or 255.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: