JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about PIDs and Sony Combo (12/15/20)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CEDTV1999

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Question about PIDs and Sony Combo (12/15/20) Reply with quote

I used the EZ-RC website to define several devices including a TV (Sony XBR-65HX929). The PID assigned was 00 27. On the Device Update Editor's Setup Tab, there is a note saying: "Protocol has custom code." On the RMIR Devices Tab, the PID is listed as 00 27*, Variant Column, new-Custom. I couldn't add any devices the use/need the Sony Combo (12/15/20) protocol without first converting the TV's rmdu. That was done. What I don't understand is why EZ-RC created a custom protocol, Sony12 and Sony15 are the only Protocols specified in that rmdu.

I did some research regarding Sony Combo (12/15/20) and found a thread regarding PID 00 27 and PID 01 27 ("New 8910 and Combined Sony protocol"). For the rmdu I added, on the RMIR Devices Tab Variant Column reads "new". Should I be concerned about "new"? I did check the protocol.ini file and did not see an entry for PID 01 27.

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the RMIR system.
Carl
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several things here: First, "Protocol has custom code". We've seen this before and apparently EZ-RC includes the PID 0027 executor in the upgrade which it installed on your remote. We don't know why EZ-RC does that--the ARRX18G already has PID 0027 built in--but RMIR has to respect what it finds in the remote. So RMIR flags it as a custom executor that also conflicts with a built in PID, and that leads to problems in editing the upgrade, as you've seen. I think you'll find that other users with Sony equipment have loaded an upgrade from here or one of their own creation.

PID 0027 is the Sony 12/15/20 Combo executor, and it is the appropriate one to use even though your TV only uses Sony12 and Sony15 signals. There is a Sony 12/15 executor, but it requires the same amount of memory and is less flexible. With new Sony equipment, some signals which would fit in the space provided by Sony12 are in fact sent in Sony15 format. The Sony12/15 executor can't handle that on an individual signal basis, but 0027 does.

The word "new" in this case is anything but new. UEI executors have evolved over the years, and so there are "Variants", which we indicate typically with a trailing number, e.g. 00F8:3. I suspect PID 0027 was one of the first executors to be revised, and so the new Variant was described by the JP1 community as 0027:new. Soon enough it became clear that this naming convention wasn't too extensible (the Pioneer Mix PID 007E executor has been issued in 5 versions!), but we still refer to 0027:new. But that's why the word "new" shows up as part of the Custom description. If you look in the RDF file for your remote in the [Protocols] section, you'll see 0027:new listed.
CEDTV1999

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 3FG Very Happy,
I now have a better understanding regarding the Sony protocol executors and the RMIR enhancements made to support the Xsight family of remotes.
With 7 Sony devices to control, I was concerned about Sony protocol support. I read the "New Xsight Color user questions" thread (all 5 pages Wink ).

Another question, if the PID 0027 is built in, is it firmware, or hardcoded, at the chip level?

Carl
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDTV1999 wrote:
Another question, if the PID 0027 is built in, is it firmware, or hardcoded, at the chip level?

It's part of the firmware that is preloaded into the remote's chip. In older remotes, it would be part of the ROM. Modern remote use flash chips though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: