JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newb questions for IR learning issue with new TV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcagle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Newb questions for IR learning issue with new TV Reply with quote

I received a new vizio smart tv (e43-c2) for Christmas and have been mostly unsuccessful trying to learn new codes for it in sendir (itach) format. I have a homebrew OpenRemote -> Itach wf2ir system that I've been using with pretty good success for a number of years prior to this change up. I am mainly interested in best route and what kind of info to provide to help others help me. I have tried both the itach learner and the global cache ilearn software and irscrutinizer. Mixed mostly bad (unreliable) results with each of those. I purchased a IR widget for a little more convenient learning sessions than the itach provided still no joy. I've tried pasting pronto codes from various sources into iscrutinizer again no joy. I've downloaded sendir commands from global cache DB's again no joy. The commands I have in the system presently will work eventually if you press the buttons enough times but it is very obviously undesireable as it is. Maybe the IR blaster is going bad? But, all the older parts of the system (cable box, AVR) all work fine with the 2 year old IR codes from before though. I did recently also start having issues with my ROKU IR codes and I managed to retool all of that to use direct tcp control and it works better than it ever did now. Could that be a symptom of an issue with the itach hardware?
If anybody can suggest something superior to the itach device and give me a good reason to spend more money I might be persuaded. If you are still reading thanks,
Tim
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many device do you need to control?
How many physical buttons do you need?
My current favorites are the OARUSBO4G (with extender)
and the Insignia 67100 (with extender).
If you need all the cable buttons the Atlas OCAP 1056 (5 device)
and the RCA RCRP05B (8 device) have them.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some LCD and Plasma TV's interfere with IR signals.

Vizios typically use Nec1 device 4 signals. What did the Widget say the codes were?

Also what is the frequency shown when you capture a single button with your irWidget?
tcagle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Vizios typically use Nec1 device 4 signals. What did the Widget say the codes were?

Nec1 device 4

vickyg2003 wrote:
Also what is the frequency shown when you capture a single button with your irWidget?

This example works 2 times out of 4 attempts on the transmit button in the "Scrutinize signal" panel in irscrutinizer software. My experience is the reliability gets worse still if I load it into my openremote software.

http://timbocephus.blogspot.com/2016/01/sample-irscrutinizer-capture-of-input.html
tcagle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeajea wrote:
How many device do you need to control?

4 but have not bothered to put DVD player into the mix.

jeajea wrote:
How many physical buttons do you need?

204 currently (includes full alphanumb keyboard entry for Roku channel configuration). Could grow if DVD or blueray player expansion added later.

jeajea wrote:
My current favorites are the OARUSBO4G (with extender)
and the Insignia 67100 (with extender).
If you need all the cable buttons the Atlas OCAP 1056 (5 device)
and the RCA RCRP05B (8 device) have them.

Not really interested in one size fits all IR remote controls. But thanks for the suggestions all the same.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please share your Roku qwerty codes with us! I've never seen them anywhere before.
tcagle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Please share your Roku qwerty codes with us! I've never seen them anywhere before.

Well I would hardly call them mine since they are defined in this document:

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/External+Control+Guide

I used the curl call examples shown in section 3.4 of that document to call into the web services offered by the roku devices. I wrote a three line shell script which I call out of my openremote web console interface for a new "command" for each desired remote function. Here is what the shell script looks like...

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
command="http://192.168.1.103:8060/keypress/"${1}
curl -d "" ${command}

The ip address should be the location of your roku device of course.
My calls into this script use an argument like this: lit_%nn
Where nn is the utf8 code for any desired character. As a bonus it runs far faster than any IR device would ever dream of. You can see the way this looks in use here:
http://timbocephus.blogspot.com/2016/01/revised-home-brew-remote-added-full.html
Works especially nice on my nexus 7 android tablet with its touch screen but still pretty nice on any laptop as well. Just load the web console url and off you go.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcagle wrote:

Nec1 device 4
Frequency 37683

Nothing out of the ordinary there. I take it the original remote doesn't have these issues.

Have you looked at the business end of the remote with a digital camera/phone camera? When you press a key you should see a white light emitting from the end? Does the original remote perhaps have two ir emitters showing up?

Is the light a lot stronger coming from your OEM remote, than it is when you look at your itach ir emitter?

Quote:

This example works 2 times out of 4 attempts on the transmit button in the "Scrutinize signal" panel in irscrutinizer software. My experience is the reliability gets worse still if I load it into my openremote software.

http://timbocephus.blogspot.com/2016/01/sample-irscrutinizer-capture-of-input.html

Have you captured the signal with your widget from
IR Scrutiner, openremote software and original using irscope? Irscope captures the flash count per timing. If that number is off, the signals will be less reliable.
If we see a difference in timing, or perhaps a difference in the frequency count on each source, this may indicate why these are less reliable. Maybe a small tweak in frequency can make a difference. We may be able to do that with pronto hex.

-------------------
Another thing to look at is the TV itself. As I mentioned in my first post many tv's have picture modes that cause a lot of IR interference. Some newer sets have OPC (Optical Picture Control) which automatically adjusts contrast and brightness to adapt to room lighting. That can cause IR interference. The OPC goes by many names. Look through the menu and see if there is an Ambient Light Sensor or DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) or some other ECO setting and turn it off and see if this improves your IR response.

Since you were having problems with two devices receiving the signal, it could very well be your emitter or something in the room that changed. The TV is the one thing you mentioned. Other things, like new lighting, or changing the color of a room can also effect the reliability of IR signals.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcagle wrote:
mdavej wrote:

Well I would hardly call them mine since they are defined in this document...
Thanks. Too bad there are no qwerty IR codes. I don't use tablet/phone based remotes if I can help it.

As for your issue, we probably can't provide much more help. The existing Vizio codes work fine from a remote. I have a couple of Vizios and have never had any issues with NEC1, device 4. Hardware failure is my best guess for your issue.
tcagle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Newb questions for IR learning issue with new TV Reply with quote

Solved...
Moved my itach/blaster about 50% closer and learned codes work perfectly. Was about 15 feet away from TV before and now it is about 7 or 8 feet away. Still wondering if the blaster is getting old and weak perhaps. Is anybody familiar with what kind of life expectancy one of these devices has? I will probably get in touch with GlobalCache this week and see if I can get a new blaster. Thanks to all that replied.
tcagle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Newb questions for IR learning issue with new TV Reply with quote

Global Cache agreed to send me another blaster unit for my wf2ir itach unit. My learned commands now work as before from a distance of 15 feet with my new TV. Global Cache is a great company with great support and stand by the products they sell even after the warranty period is over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: