JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

what is an extender?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiverpage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: what is an extender? Reply with quote

I am definitely a newbie with zero knowledge on jp1 issues.
I did however, recently order a modified 6131 and jp1 cable, and I plan to learn as much as possible about jp1. The stuff I'm reading is a little confusing to me now, but I'll get it sooner or later. My question for now is, what is an extender, and do I need one? I have read in some of the forums how you need an extender for some things, and I am clueless. Could someone please explain an extender in simple terms?

Thanks,
A Newbie
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is software loaded into the remote's eeprom that changes various details of the remote's behavior.

Usually extenders increase the flexibility and capacity for KeyMoves and Macros.

With the extender you may be able to define KeyMoves and macros that do things that wouldn't be possible without the extender and/or are bound to keys that can't have KeyMoves or macros without the extender, or simply have more total KeyMoves and macros than would fit without the extender.
kiverpage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John.
Where do I get an extender?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are located here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Extenders/
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend making the extender the first thing you do with JP1, I would recommend taking the "walk before you run" approach. Try loading an upgrade or programming a macro, etc using JP1 before you try the more advanced stuff.
cougar97201

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not been around here long enough to know if this is a common
question but i had a similar question as a newbie a couple of weeks ago.
doing lots of reading of posts etc, i initially wound up with the impression that
an extender was a piece of hardware (probably confused with adding bigger EEPROMs to some remotes) as well as supporting software.
I don't know at what point or why i finally go clear on it but as newbie
feedback: i think this may be the first question newbies ask themselves.
the documentation here is great and voluminous but it takes time to
digest it all. if you guys can figure a way to short circuit that part of the
education, it'll probably reduce newbie intimidation/confusion.

EDIT: apologies if this has already been addressed with the flurry of new
documentation. 8) i have only quickly scanned most of it as its old news
now (mostly). i was 2 weeks too early i think. Laughing
chas6000

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I wouldn't recommend making the extender the first thing you do with JP1, I would recommend taking the "walk before you run" approach. Try loading an upgrade or programming a macro, etc using JP1 before you try the more advanced stuff.

thank you for saying that Rob!! --- i am new to all of this but am computational chemist during the day and was wondering if i had become some sort of wimp!

i am defintely starting with the simple stuff first! you guys have made quite a contribution here! thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter how much of a rocket scientist you are in your regular field, whenever you try something new it can seem a bit tricky at first. The difference between people like you and the real wimps is how long it takes for you to get up and running!

A regular Joe might take a few days to get the hang of things, but we generally expect computational chemists to figure it out in no more than 5 minutes or so!!! Smile (tick, tick, tick)
dglancy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Problem with Extender Help on Yahoo Reply with quote

I cannot seem to down load this file from the Yahoo site.

6012_Extender_DOC_v1.1.zip

I get a timeout error.

Other files download ok.

Anyone else having problems or can you point me to another location that has this file ?

Thanks
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: URC-7560/7562 and Extender 2.1 Reply with quote

URC-7560/7562 and Extender 2.1

I would like to write in praise of the Extender for the European OFA6.

This remote has one or two -- err shall I say -- design faults that really mess it up. The Extender rescues it and makes it into a great control centrepiece for a Home Cinema system.

Instead of having keys for "Enter/Select" and "Return/Back to Previous Menu", these keys are doubled up on the Mute and AV keys respectively. If you press "Menu" the unit goes into "Menu Mode" for a period of time, and during this time Mute becomes Enter, and AV becomes Return. However, you often find there is more than one Menu, and you sometimes need these keys when not in Menu mode. What is more, pressing MAGIC-MUTE puts you into Favourites mode, so you cannot even have ENTER that way!

Using the extender, MAGIC>MUTE becomes ENTER. MAGIC>AV becomes RETURN. What's more, MENU, ENTER and all of the ARROW KEYS put you into "Menu Mode". Which is how it should be!

The second fault of the OFA6 is the inflexible allocation of memory. This means that "Key Moves" are limited, you quickly run out of allocated memory. Often with a huge amount of space remaining in the Devices/Protocols area. JP1/ir.exe means you can write your own Devices and put the keys where you want them. OK this does not require the extender as such, but is another problem put to bed!

What the extender will do is to allow you to write macros and allocate them to your Device keys. What I have done is used the Shifted-Device keys. I have a TV with the sound permanently muted, a Surround Amp / Tuner / DVD unit, a Cable Box, a VHS/DVD Recorder ... thanks to the macros, pressing, say, "SAT" on its own, just puts the remote into "SAT" mode, but pressing MAGIC>SAT switches the TV to the Cable Box input, the Amp to the Cable Box input, and leaves the unit in SAT mode to operate the cable box.

When I press MAGIC then POWER, both my TV and Amp are fired up, the TV is muted and the amp is unmuted. However if I press TV>POWER, the TV is switched on, unmuted and the Amp is switched off. I have allocated MAGIC-MENU to switch off the Amp and TV. The extender allows me to allocate a macro to this one key only.

Oh, and the volume punch through is changed to the TV or AMP as appropriate!

Obviously some sacrifices are made. The long-press MAGIC stuff doesn't work. So if you need to find any codes by "learning", you need to take the unit out of extender mode, but with JP1, this involves no more than just uploading a different setup from ir.exe. Once discovered, back goes your extender setup. Favourites don't work, but honestly I never used them anyway. Sleep Mode only works if it is internal to the controlled unit, not via a timer in the remote itslef, but I never used that either.

Oh and another little trick of the extender. You can set up a pair of devices, one works on the "basic" keys, the other on MAGIC shifted keys. So you can avoid running out of key-move space (and believe me, if you have a load of macros, you soon will!).

So for the OFA6 (URC-7560/7562), the extender converts a nice but basically flawed product into a powerful, useful unit.

I have every device rewritten to my own spec, all using 2-byte codes (except for my Cable box which uses a 4-byte code), custom "combiner" protocols, macros, one or two key moves, and all this is only possible because of the Extender.

I'm just disappointed that the new OFAs have a new chip, as my old remotes are starting to get a bit tatty...
lowspeed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't quite understand what the extender software does to the remote.

Lets say i have the URC 9910 what should i expect as added feature if i load the extender?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
It is software loaded into the remote's eeprom that changes various details of the remote's behavior.

Usually extenders increase the flexibility and capacity for KeyMoves and Macros.

With the extender you may be able to define KeyMoves and macros that do things that wouldn't be possible without the extender and/or are bound to keys that can't have KeyMoves or macros without the extender, or simply have more total KeyMoves and macros than would fit without the extender.

Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowspeed wrote:
I still don't quite understand what the extender software does to the remote.

Lets say i have the URC 9910 what should i expect as added feature if i load the extender?

Thanks!
Have you read the readme included with the extender package? The first paragraph says:
Quote:
*BASIC FEATURES: urc-8910x1
===========================

You can put a Macro or KeyMove on any key.
You have room for lots more KeyMoves and Macros.
Macros can be Nested.
Macros are fast.
Very flexible device selection.
Support for logical devices (w/o key moves)
Control of device displayed on LCD.
Improved (very different) Fav list processing.
Configurable backlight timer.
Optional second shift key.
Automatic PC-to-Remote clock synchronization
Included special protocols for:
Pause, Device Specific Macros,
ToadTog, *Updated Long/Double Key Press
Custom Mode Names on LCD

No Learned signal support.
No Scan support.
No commercial skip support.
No direct keying of EFC codes on the remote.
No long-press-setup functions
What is unclear about this?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
lowspeed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the word extender confused me.

Its like reflashing a device with a new firmware.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowspeed wrote:
It's like reflashing a device with a new firmware.

Yes and no. The net effect is somewhat similar, but the remote's firmware is in the ROM which cannot be changed. An extender fools the remote into thinking that it's a regular device upgrade that uses a protocol upgrade, except that the protocol has no intention of sending an IR signal. Instead it takes over control of the remote, which means that all of the normal restrictions are removed and the extender will let the user do whatever the extender writer chose to allow him to do, which is a much broader range of options than the un-extended remote would allow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: