JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Windows 7 64Bit AND IR 8.03 AND Serial JP1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Windows 7 64Bit AND IR 8.03 AND Serial JP1 Reply with quote

Having trouble getting things to work. I'm using a Windows 7 64 Bit OS, IR 8.03 and Serial JP1 (rfguys.com 33402). The JP1 is connected to the computer by a 10' Serial Extension Cable.

I guess the first question and most important question is does this combo even work together?

When I run IR (as Administrator), under interface "JP1.X (Serial or USB-Serial) is checked, with the other options grayed out. I would think that JP1 Serial should be checked. Is it possible the adapter is not configured / working correctly? Or is it related to the drivers not being correct (see below)?

If I "Check Driver" I get a screen that comes up that says "Serial / Parallel Error: Problem with NT port driver: StartDriver: Unable to start service. This driver has been blocked from loading. Please make sure you have Admin rights."

I have been looking around on the forum and can't find much info related to this problem. Most of the info I seem to find is 5-10 years old with some talk about working on the problem (working with 64 Bit). Seems like most suggestions was using USB or 32 Bit.

I did find that DecodeIR.dll has been updated to 64Bit, and i downloaded that.

I have copied all three DLL's in the IR directory to Windows\system32 and Windows\SysWOW64.

If I check the interface I get a window saying "Failed to open JP1.x interface." (reminder there is a JP1 adapter plugged in not a JP1.x).

Any help / guidance will be greatly appreciated.
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some reason you can’t use RMIR? It has been two
or more years since I last used IR.
Are you using a JP1.x serial cable with a JP1.x to JP1 adapter?
What remote are you trying to use?
TheRic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMIR? No reason I can't use it. I thought I was supposed to use IR? Just reading and trying to do / use what this forum suggests. I thought I was suppose to us RM and IR? Those are the two programs I downloaded and installed.

I have a JP1 Adapter, it says on it rfguys.com 33402, which I looked up and is a JP1 Adapter. I bought it years ago, I forget where. Didn't get it to work back then since there was nothing for Windows 7 at the time, and I didn't want to revert back to XP. I put it off to the side and forgot about it, until just recently. Ok Ok I missed placed the adapter and just found it while looking for something else.

I have several JP1 remotes. All are JP1 interface, the main ones I'm trying to use / setup at this time are URC-8810, and couple of URC-8910's.
jeajea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try RMIR

http://sourceforge.net/projects/controlremote/files/RemoteMaster/v2.03build12/

If it works you are done.

Please post back if it works or if you still have problems
TheRic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already had RMIR, it came with RemoteMaster 2.03, it just didn't put an Icon in my start menu. It only installed the icon for Remote Master. Since I had downloaded Remote Master I didn't think anything was wrong.

I'm still having problems. RMIR is not seeing my remotes. Have tried autodetect (default) for the interface and JP Serial. I have tried plugging the adapter in the remote both way, not knowing which way is the correct way.

I have noticed that when I plug the adapter into the remote (even if the serial end is not connected to anything) the 8910's LCD screen will lit up everything then go to "Mem Fault" for a few seconds then go blank. I have tried Factory Reset several times. They seem to go thru correctly (Reset Ram, Reset E2, Exit Setup). The one was giving me a "Bad E2" doing a factory reset, but after about a dozen factory resets it is now going thru the setup.

On the 8810 the red light will flash once. Have done the factory reset several times on this one also. It flashes 4 times (2 set of two).

On all three I get this plugging the adapter into the remote, With and without the serial end attached to anything.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In RMIR, I think your cable should use the JPS interface.

Sounds like a hardware failure with that cable though.

Would you be willing to spend a few bucks on a JP1.x USB cable and JP1 EEPROM adapter that are known to work in Win 7 64-bit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html

Then you could program your old remotes and any new remotes you may get in the future.

EDIT: Correction. JPS is not the right interface to choose per the next post.

Last edited by mdavej on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think RMIR supports this interface. For sure, the JPS interface isn't the one to use here. Here's a list of the interfaces supported by RMIR: JPS is the USB cable connection to SimpleSet remotes, where the S denotes SimpleSet. CommHID is the interface to the USB cable connection to Xsight/Nevo remotes, where HID refers to the fact that these remotes communicate using the Human Interface Device protocol. The necessary software for these two USB-only interfaces are built into RMIR. The JP1.X interface is for JP1.2/1.3/1.4 and JP2/3 remotes with 6 pin connectors. These remotes all communicate via RS232 or low voltage RS232 protocols. The necessary software is implemented in 32 and 64 bit Windows as a dll called JP12Serial.dll

A JP1 remote can communicate with RMIR using the parallel (jp1parallel.dll) or Delcom USB interface cables (jp1usb.dll). For Windows, these dlls are only in 32 bits. Parallel can also be handled in 32 or 64 bit Linux.

IR.exe version 8.04 can run parallel under 64 and 32 bit Windows in addition to the interfaces it supports under 8.03.

I'm not familiar with the rfguys.com 33402 serial JP1 interface, but I guess that the best chance of using it would be through IR.exe. However, the symptoms seem to suggest a defective cable. If it were me, I'd get OARUSB04G remotes instead of getting an interface cable and JP1 adapter, but of course that depends on which remotes TheRic likes.
TheRic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelling out a few bucks I think is my best option. I’ve been leaning towards it was the cable or compatibility with the software. No way all 3 remotes are bad.

Sorry 3FG, the remote you suggested doesn't have the features I like on a remote (OK, it's what the wife requires).

A few questions on the new cable and adapter:

Will this combo handle all JP1 remotes (other than a few special cases I’ve read about)?

The cable linked to on EBay, show the ends of the cable being 4-6 individual plugs verses 1 2X3 plug. Is that how it comes? Is it better (or needed) that way?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that combo will handle every known JP1 remote. USB JP1 remotes come with their own cable anyway, so no JP1 cable is needed in those cases.

I personally think the Nevo C2 ($16 on ebay) would be an excellent upgrade from your old 8810/8910 and would require no JP1 cable.

The eBay cable is cheap, so we live with the individual plugs or replace with our own. Since you have to use the adapter anyway, you only have to plug them in once and leave them.
jeajea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that the 9910 has RF output. If you need that then your
alternatives are limited. I recommend the cables that mjavej linked. I also
recommend the six pin housing in his other link.

I have a 8910 that I don’t currently use for the following reasons

Uses 4 AAA batteries rather than 2AA

Old technology has poor battery life.

Limited memory
If you use a cable box you need a second remote such as the RCA RCRP05B
to access all the features such as day+ and page.

A possible replacement for the 9910 is the Xsight touch and its RF extender if you can find them. Note that I have never used one so I don’t know how it works.

There are also IR to RF extender converter/extenders which I also have never tried because I don’t need RF.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP hasn't mentioned any 9910, so IR should be fine.

In any case, Xsight Touch (Nevo C3) and RF base works fine if he does need to replace any RF remotes. But they are very expensive at the moment.

The main thing he needs to consider is if there's any extender functionality he would lose. Besides no toadtog, Nevo is a major improvement in every other respect.

TheRic, can you tell us what features the wife requires?
jeajea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops
I misread his second post and thought he had a 9910

For IR remotes with LCD displays I would also consider the Harmony 600
and 650. I have a 650 and it is fairly easy to use. More expensive than the
color/C2 but smaller and only uses two batteries.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy any new remotes or cables, I would suggest that you try contacting the folks at rfguys.com and see what they advise. As they make these cables, I assume they know what drivers they require. Their site says that all their products carry an unconditional lifetime warranty, which is pretty impressive. Their contact us page says you can email them at sales (at) rfguys.com

http://www.rfguys.com/product/universal-remote-control-uei-urc-jp1-eeprom-pc-programming-cable
TheRic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to get hold of RFGuys, with no luck. Their website says they will respond in 24-48 hours, they didn't.

So I went ahead and ordered the JP1.x USB cable and JP1 EEPROM adapter. Which has already came in. That is the fastest I ever got something from China!

So now my questions are:
Which way does the adapter plug into the remote? Only difference on sides is one side feels smooth thru the shrink wrap, while the other side you can feel components.

What is the pin layout for the USB cable to plug into the adapter? I found some talk about the pins, but my colors do not match what I found. I have Blue, White, Yellow, Orange/Red ish, Black, Green.

Do I need to download any drivers for this cable and/or adapter to work.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has pinouts and drivers.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

Look at the board to locate pin 1, then line up with the arrow on the EEPROM adapter. Plug the cable into the adapter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: