JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I out of memory, can I get a little help?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: I out of memory, can I get a little help? Reply with quote

My URC-7800 is out of learning memory. I need to use my learning memory to program in my Creative Labs RM-900 (Sound Blaster Live! Drive). I posted a remark in the old news group, but never got a response. Very Happy

I haven't done any programming on this remote for months, and I'm afraid I'm rusty on how to make a learned function into a key-move where it takes less memory.

How do I post the file from my remote?

Thanks, in advance,
--Robert
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

Post your file saved in IR with the learned commands to the diagnosis area at the old Yahoo site and I'll take a look at the feasability of a device upgrade.

Also let me know here when you have posted the file.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That exact Creative labs remote (RM-900) is in this CCF file

It uses a form of the NEC1 protocol, device 193, subdevice 68.

It's quite easy to create a normal NEC1 for that using KM or RM and it would probably work OK.

The actual signal of the RM-900 has the basic frame twice, rather than once as in normal NEC1 (or N times as in NEC2). I think there is a parm bit in the NEC protocol which will duplicate that behavior, but once again I've forgotten which. Hey Rob?

The upgrade would probably work a little better if that detail were duplicated.
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: File posted. Reply with quote

Jon,

Here is the URL

--Robert

PS. Thanks.
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johsfine,

Thanks for the file. What are KM and RM again? If I can understand what you are saying, I agree, the commands for that remote are at least twice as complex as anything else I've seen Surprised (and I hava a LOT of remotes). Don't know why Creative Labs would have decided to do that. The commands are so long that you can actually time how long they take to complete. They filled up my memory rather quickly.

In the meantime I'm going to poke around with your file.

Thanks,
--Robert
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

I just posted a KM Master text file with the basic device upgrade as Cable_1888. You can learn additional commands, decode them and add to the upgrade. I used OBC's NOT EFC's .

John, my notes show the parameter to be 2A for two repeats of the NEC1 data frame, and then the null repeats.

When you add the upgrade, make sure you delete the learned commands on the regular CD keys. You apparently learned something using the F12 protocol on CD_1L and CD_2L that are NOT covered in the upgrade so don't erase those.

You have several other learned commands from different protocols on other keys that you can build a device upgrade in a similar fashion.
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Thanks. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The 1L and 2L buttons are my IR A/B switch. I'm going to be taking this one step at a time, so forgive me if I feel the need to bug you a couple of times.

--Robert
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

Where did you post the file?

Thanks,
--Robert
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,

BTW, I had some help figuring out what the key-move sequence is of that IR A/B switch a while back. It works when I program it for the AUX device. But doesn't when I program it for the CD device. If you look at my file, you'll notice that AUX 1L and 2L have keymoves assigned to them. I actually need those function for both CD and AUX. Is there something wrong with my remote? I've noticed that there are a LOT of learned codes that won't work on AUX that do work on other devices. They seem to lock my remote up whenever I learn them to the AUX device.

If you have time, that issue in not a real priority.

--Robert
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file is in the diagnosis area as Creative RM-900-KM.txt

I can't come up with why you would have trouble learning to one device rather than another, but device upgrades will probably eliminate the problems. For the most part the built in IR protocols are pretty accurate, but learned commands can be unreliable for a variety of reasons.
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a File not Found error. Did it upload OK?

--Robert
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. Got it. Just had to keep hitting refresh until Yahoo decided to give it to me.
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgraded my keymap master. Looking at the codes, there are a lot on unmapped keys. Is there a way for me to figure out what they are?

Thanks,
--Robert
rbivins

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait! I get it! These are the codes that I had already stored! Don't know why it took me so long to figure that out.

Now, I have the space to learn the other commands I wanted. Should I learn those and repost? Or is there a way that I can do the work myself to get myself the rest of the way home?

Didn't realize how much work you had done. THANK YOU.
--Robert
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
The actual signal of the RM-900 has the basic frame twice, rather than once as in normal NEC1 (or N times as in NEC2). I think there is a parm bit in the NEC protocol which will duplicate that behavior, but once again I've forgotten which. Hey Rob?

Yup. if bit1 is set, the signal gets sent twice before the jump to the IR engine. So, if the rest of the parm is setup for NEC1, you shouold get three repetitions of the data portion before the NEC1 style repeat pattern.

I don't imagine that this bit really makes much of a difference for NEC2 signals.

I just wrote up a small piece explaining how the $005A control byte works which you might want to bookmark for future reference:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=169

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: