JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 7960 - how to program double sending a command

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: URC 7960 - how to program double sending a command Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a newbie and would like to ask your help with suggesting solution to my problem.

There is an URC 7960 remote. In home theather mode it sends power on signal to TV, Amplifier and HTPC. The same command is sent at power off.
To resolve an instability issue I would like the HTPC power command sent twice.
What is the most efficient way to achive this? Can I assign a macro to the power button which contains the power button code twice? Will the remote use this macro when sending power command to all devices?
Any other hint to solve this?

(Background: The HTPC runs on Openelec/Kodi. It was working fine until a SW upgrade recently. Since that time the power off is not reliable. 8 out of 10 the HTPC needs double button push to shut down. )
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see if your tv , amp and HTPC equipment offer discrete on and off codes? That could simplify things. When using a toggle sending them twice may cause the equipment to get out of synch.
sakos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither the TV nor the amp has discrete on and off codes. They use the same IR code for on and off by the original remote. Currently the HTPC also uses the same code for on and off but it can be reconfigured if needed. (I am not sure if the remote supports discrete on and off codes)

Since the HTPC often misses the shut down command this ends up in out of synch situation. The TV and the amp is off but the HTPC remains on. Pushing again the power button switches off the HTPC but the TV and the amp get on.

I expect that sending a double power command to the htpc only will solve the problem. I do not think the double command would toggle on and off quickly as the htpc reacts slowly on the commands.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The TV and the amp is off but the HTPC remains on. Pushing again the power button switches off the HTPC but the TV and the amp get on.

I don't know enough about JP1.4 remotes with "activities" to help, so I'm going to back off.

It sounds like there is some way to program a macro on the power button, and a long press turns on some devices, depending on what activity you are in.

I'll bet that anyone that steps in to help will want to see your RMIR file. Why not post that in the diagnostics section, and then post a link to your RMIR file here to avoid waiting for the next helper to step in.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post the make and model of your TV, amp and PC IR dongle.
sakos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV: LG 50LN5400
Amp: LG NB4530A soundbar
PC remote: Unbranded MCE remote
exactly this

Thanks for your support.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will any other key besides power on the original remote wake your pc? Did you learn those commands from the original remote or did you use a built-in setup code, and if so, which one?

This has discrete on and off for your TV:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12953

If you enable SIMP LINK or AUTO POWER, the soundbar will automatically turn on and off with your TV. There is no need to send any commands.
sakos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the PC can be waken up by the power button only, however I can configure an unused button for switching it down.

All remote codes were learned from the original remotes.

I played a lot with auto power and simplink but this setup was the most suitable (there is an additonal Sat STB to be controlled etc. I do not want to go into the details) I need the IR power command for the soundbar.

It would be great to use discrete codes and/or macros to control the devices power status. However I see no possibility to do that with this URC 7960 remote. It has three smartcontrol buttons which simply send the power command of assigned devices as if the user pushes the power buttons of each device in a row.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty certain you can put any command or macro on any button, just as you could with any JP1 remote. You aren't limited to just the smart control buttons. I still have a 7960 somewhere. I'll have to dig it out and confirm.

What happens when you press power twice in a row? Does it not immediately go back to sleep? If it doesn't, then all we need to do is add another power command as you originally asked how to do.

So go ahead an post your RMIR file, and we can modify it for you. That will be easier than trying to explain it.

EDIT: I just confirmed that Remote Master indeed has no restrictions on any buttons or macros on the 7960. So you can simply add your additional command to the appropriate smart button macro and upload.
sakos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HTPC swithces off when I press the power button twice.

Unfortunately the remote has no JP1 interface equipped hence I cannot provide RMIR file at this moment.

I will try to assign a macro to the Power button. My only concern if I can use the Power button code when creating a macro for the power button. Is not it generate an endless recursion?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably nothing you can do then. If you get a JP1 cable, we can explore more options. Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

Power macro on the power button will not cause an endless loop. But you should use the Magic-Power sequence if you put it on the power button. Why not put it on one of the colored buttons instead? You probably don't use those anyway.

Macros can go on almost any button, in spite of what the manual might say. You can even make it shifted (access with the Magic button). When programming the macro, simply press Magic before the macro button. That way the button keeps its original function, but if Magic is pressed first, the macro runs.
sakos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Now I know how to step forward.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: