JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Denon ADV-1000 HT/DVD Player Code
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50 byte limit is a MAJOR flaw of the URC_8800 (and similar) remotes. You will probably be better off creating a single upgrade that includes all of the device code 2 codes. Then you would create a second upgrade that uses device code 12 but not include any buttons, then you would use keymoves to include the device code 12 functions.

The hacked combo was created before the official, that's why there's 2 versions. The hacked version uses the same EFCs as the regular Denon protocol, whereas the official version uses different EFCs.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Rob, I ran across it when I changed the KM Device Upgrade to the 8800 and got a big warning about too many keys assigned. Mark, what Rob is saying is important. The Denon combo protocols take two bytes per key, where the regular Denon protocol uses only one byte per key. So using either Denon combo protocol is a bad idea in an 8800/9800.

Also there aren't many commands from Denon Devices=2 or 12 most are Device 8. There is a built in device Audio/0004 that is Denon:12.

So you need to create two upgrades:

1. A regular device upgrade call it CBL/1908, select Protocol=Denon, device=8 with most of the keys. If you copy them from the device upgrade I did earlier, they were entered using OBC's. You will need to assign as many keys as possible using the buttons tab. The cable device type usually has the most physical keys available. Copy the upgrade into IR and under the General Tab, enter CBL/1908 onto the device button you want for your main upgrade. You can also assign key moves using KM Master under the Buttons tab to any of the keys with @ in front -- that won't count against the 50 byte limit.

2. Create a device upgrade for device 2. On the setup tab, use a setup code (CBL/1902 will be fine) set the protocol = Denon and device=2 but enter nothing else. Copy this upgrade into IR, but do not assign it to a device button.

Then using key moves assign Denon device= 12 keys using Audio_0004, Denon device=2 keys using Cable/1902, and Denon device=8 keys using Cable/1908

Upload the whole works to your 8800 (make sure to delete the learned commands and I don't know how to do that in an 8800) and give it a try.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Upload the whole works to your 8800 (make sure to delete the learned commands and I don't know how to do that in an 8800) and give it a try.

Actually, he doesn't have to worry about deleting the learned commands since the learning buttons (1L through 6L) are on a different mcu. The 8800 is like two remotes in a single case. Most buttons are wired to the 740 mcu, but 1L through 6L are wired to the S3C8 (and that is set up only to do learning).
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:
Actually, he doesn't have to worry about deleting the learned commands since the learning buttons (1L through 6L) are on a different mcu. The 8800 is like two remotes in a single case. Most buttons are wired to the 740 mcu, but 1L through 6L are wired to the S3C8 (and that is set up only to do learning).

Thanks Jason, for the 8800 I was "skating on really thin ice". Out of curiosity, does the extender solve the device upgrade size limitation?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon_armstrong wrote:
Thanks Jason, for the 8800 I was "skating on really thin ice". Out of curiosity, does the extender solve the device upgrade size limitation?

The most recent version of the extender (which currently only exists in a thread in the Extender Forum) does remove the device upgrade limitation. But it's only been tested by a few brave souls, so I'm not 100% confident in it. However, I'd be happy to help people test it.
mhe4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game to test things if I can be reasonably sure I can "put things back to normal" if it doesn't work. If I kill off the remote, my wife will kill me off. I would love to replace it with an MX-700, but she isn't too keen on spending that kind of money right now. Smile

I'm not sure I understand the whole Extender thing yet. I get the concept, but not the application. For that matter, I understand the concet of IR.exe, but also not really the execution. I'm working on it. You have all been extremely helpful.

It is late tonight and I just got home from 9 hours at work, so I'm not thinking totally straight. I'll see what I can do tomorrow in the daytime and report back to you all.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we always recommend that you get the basics working first, before tackling an extender. Right now if you do the two device upgrades and key moves, I think you can get what you want and work around the 50 byte limitation.

As far as permanently damaging your remote by trying an extender, fortunately, the only thing IR/JP1 does is read and write to the EEPROM. So if you Remote|Download in IR then save your file (file|save) to your PC, you can always go back and open that file in IR then remote|upload and you are back where you were.

In the 8800, it sounds like the only thing you can't save (without the hardware hack) are the learned commands, but IR wouldn't affect them either.

Finally, if there is some limitation on the 8800 that you can't get around or you just want to upgrade your remote, try an URC-8811 available for ~$20, first. Other than the display, there is nothing that an MX-700 can do from an IR command generation perspective that an OFA remote can't. There are things the OFA remote can do with JP1 that the MX-700 can't. This isn’t a slam on the MX series of remotes, since there are many passionate advocates among their owners and some also use OFA remotes to program them.
mhe4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon. I'll work on the 2 upgrades today.

While I'm asking, can you point me to a document that explains Phantom Keys and also how to program shifted keys that are not listed in KM. Do you just do a keymove in IR and check the shifted box? You don't have to do anything special in KM, right?

As for the MX-700, I like the "sexy" LCD...sort of the same thing that drew me to the 8800 in its day (that and we got a steal deal on it due to a price error at Circuit City). I wish someone would make the "ultimate remote" which had hard buttons everywhere in a normal remote layout but dynamic, user-defined lables for each button depending on programed function. I'll keep dreaming. Smile

Again, thank you all for your patients with me.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phantom keys are simply buttons that don't exist. You would use them for functions that you never need to access directly but do need to use in macros. Two obvious examples are 'discrete on' and 'discrete off'. There's no need to program these functions to real buttons as you can always use the POWER button instead, but in macros they're essential.

As for the "how" part, if there are Phantoms already defined in your RDF, you can just program them like you would any other button. If there aren't any RDFs defined, you can just add them yourself using any keycodes that aren't already in use (we can help with this if needed).

As for shifted buttons, KM lets you program *ALL* keys as shifted keys, there's a complete column dedicated to them. If you chose to define them using IR, then yes, all you need to do is check the shifted box.

And you're welcome to our patients, just treat them well! Smile

Last edited by The Robman on Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhe4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*laugh* Sorry, I'm still a little sleepy and I'm used to "patients" at work and most of them have very little "patience" while waiting to see me.

Last edited by mhe4 on Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhe4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to update you. I pretty much have it working as far as I can tell. I do need to do a little more testing, but my wife is watching the TV and testing now could lead to my death. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: