JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question from a long time JP1 user

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurker1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Question from a long time JP1 user Reply with quote

Basically I discovered this community back in 2003 or 2004. I loved the concept and went in with a 15-2116. I loved that remote so much that, and some may remember this, when RS was literally giving the 2117's away in bins, I grabbed about 9 of them locally often for as little as $10 a pop.

A decade later the remote still stands up like a workhorse and I still have something like 5 unopened new ones and one or two 1994's.

So my question is this.

Would I derive any benefit, or is there any advantage, from getting a couple of Nevo C2 remotes? I know the capability is more than the 2117's but the 2117's work for me and give me everything I need. Hell, the one I'm using now has lasted 5 years and still works as if new.

The reason I ask is because I couldn't figure out how to load the Delcom USB driver for Windows 10 and I came back here in search of some guidance. For a while I thought that I wouldn't be able to load the driver in Win10 at all and that I would need a new cable. Subsequently I did figure out how to load the Delcom USB driver for Win10. But those threads about the C2 caught my interest and made me curious as to if I would derive any benefit from a remote upgrade?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the FAQ in the Getting started with Xsight in the wiki. I think I covered just about every aspect to consider. Obviously there are huge benefits. But only you can decide if those are important to you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Nevo C2 on ebay as the price was too much to resist (around $17). I use a 15-1994 as my main remote in the living room and I use a 15-2116 as the bedroom remote.

I added all my devices to the Nevo on the ez-rc site and experimented a bit, but I wasn't sold and have not stopped using my two RS remotes. In fact, I just replaced the 15-2116 with another. The buttons were becoming hard to press on mine, so I cleaned the PCB and it didn't make a difference, so I grabbed a brand new one that I had stashed only to find that the backlight only half worked, so I did some parts swapping to make 1 good remote out of the two that I had.

Having said that, the Nevo is very powerful and others here are using it and love it, so my opinion is just one opinion.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I think you hold the record on keeping the 1994 alive, what's it been, 16 years?

Anyway, I'm sure you and Lurker have all the shifted and long press functions of your remotes hardwired into your brains by now. But for me and the family, an LCD remote was a godsend. If there was a function I didn't use for a few months, I had no idea where I put it whenever I needed it again. So I had to grab one of my many cheat sheets (if I could find it), or fire up RM and see where it was. That alone is worth the $16 for these Xsight/Nevo remotes. And all the icons and logos are so nice to look at.

I don't think I could ever go back to a remote without an LCD at this point, especially in my living room where there are lots of devices and hundreds of functions and macros.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some pretty complicated macros set up on mine and I just couldn't see how to replicate all that on the Nevo.

But if I was starting from scratch, and took a different approach, I might use the Nevo, just not sure how I would set up all the ToadTogs that I am using.
Lurker1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thanks to those who responded.

mdavej wrote:
See the FAQ in the Getting started with Xsight in the wiki.

Thanks for that heads up. I missed that and it really helped a lot in understanding the potential of the C2.

The Robman wrote:
Having said that, the Nevo is very powerful and others here are using it and love it, so my opinion is just one opinion.

Thanks Rob, I'll probably pick one up to check it out. That said it'll be hard to displace a 2116/17 because after a decade you just become so comfortable with everything.

And by the way thanks for all that you and others have done in this community over the past 12 years. I don't post often, I mostly lurk from time to time, but the JP1 way really was a remote breakthrough. In fact I still recommend it to people who ask about remotes on various forums that I frequent.

mdavej wrote:
Rob, I think you hold the record on keeping the 1994 alive, what's it been, 16 years?

Anyway, I'm sure you and Lurker have all the shifted and long press functions of your remotes hardwired into your brains by now. But for me and the family, an LCD remote was a godsend. If there was a function I didn't use for a few months, I had no idea where I put it whenever I needed it again. So I had to grab one of my many cheat sheets (if I could find it), or fire up RM and see where it was. That alone is worth the $16 for these Xsight/Nevo remotes. And all the icons and logos are so nice to look at.

No, that's actually a very good point and one of the reasons why I'll purchase a C2. My AVR had so many buttons, some of which I rarely use, that I can't remember where they're all located on the 2116 or 2117. For example there are no "logical" buttons for Spotify, Netradio or Airplay, and no visual display for a submenu item. So I figure at worst I'll set a C2 that has those sub menu items mapped with a visual display and keep that one in the house so that the next time I want to stream something off the AVR I won't have to push 4 different buttons while trying to remember which one is Airplay, which one is Spotify, and which one is NetRadio.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I just like to hold onto old things and not change. For me, I have always preferred physical buttons over the various "screen" things they have tried (touch screens, Kameleons and now Nevos). I totally agree that, for some people or some devices, it will make a lot more sense to have something like the Nevo where you can properly label the buttons. But for my system, I have all the input selects buried in the macros that we use, so nobody needs to know which button selects VIDEO2 on the stereo receiver, or INPUT1 on the television, because it's all automatic.

I did recently try the extender for the first time. I didn't specifically have a need for it before, so as my remote was working, I never tried it. But I recently added a new device, which meant I had to re-configure my remote anyway, so as I was already at the max for keymoves and macros, I decided to take the plunge, and while I was at it, I finally decided to try ToadTog too. And I was able to re-program the remote without the family needing to completely re-learn everything, so I got high marks from the wife and kids.

And along those same lines, I am still using ReplayTV even though the company has gone completely under, as the hacking community is keeping it alive, and I still use tube TVs (though I might get a flat screen in the TG sales this year, you never know).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
... for my system, I have all the input selects buried in the macros that we use, so nobody needs to know which button selects VIDEO2 on the stereo receiver, or INPUT1 on the television, because it's all automatic.
Same here. I never have to select inputs manually. But like Lurker, there are a dozen or more streaming apps on my devices with no place for buttons and no easy way to remember. Similar story for my AVR, which has 300+ discretes, not uncommon these days. Not that I'd ever use them all, but it's nice to have them available if I do need one.

I'm not a touchscreen kind of guy either, so 99% of the time I use the physical buttons. But having the extra functions labeled and available on the screen is nice when there is no good alternative.

I know lack of toadtog is a problem for Nevo. Luckily, all my devices have discretes at the moment. I go out of my way to buy brands with discretes.

Another cool feature of Xsight/Nevo you may not be aware of is programmable hold duration. Appears to keep repeating for the duration. I've used it, for example, to turn my TV volume all the way down with a single command with a long hold duration. To do this on other remotes, we usually have to tweak the protocol, right?

Check out my icons:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=917010&d=1441038375
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice icons, but seriously, you still watch CNN, even when you're not at an airport, lol? My philosophy has always been to let Jon Stewart watch CNN so I don't have to, likewise for Fox News.

But seriously, I never watch live TV anyway as I use ReplayTV, so I would have no need for the favorites section.

I have macros tied to the shifted version of all the device buttons, so to start using something, you just hit P followed by the device button. Then for the stacked devices, you use the 2S button to select the one on the left and the 3S button to select the one on the right, this is true for my stacked ReplayTVs, DVDs and VCRs. Now that I have ToadTogs all over the place, if you want to switch one using Replay to DVD, for example, you just hit the DVD device button, followed by 2S or 3S and you're all set.

It would be very hard to replicate all this on the Nevo and have it be as simple as it is on the 15-1994. I don't want to have to scroll thru screens just to switch from one device to the other, and with only 3 devices visible at a time on the screen, more often than not, that's what I would have to do.

And I have heard, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't change device modes within a macro, is that right?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta have my Daily Show and Last Week Tonight.

Honestly though, I never actually use favorites, or watch CNN or any other live tv for that matter. I was just messing around when I first got the remote and thought the icons looked nice and wanted to find a good solution for logos that would be easy for everyone. I don't see the point in paging through 12 screens of favorites when I could just enter the channel number or pick from my favorites list on the tv itself.

True, switching devices can take more button presses, and can't be put in a macro. But the screens do wrap, so your top 6 devices are only 2 or 3 clicks away. Instead of DVD - 2S, I'd click Activities - Watch Movie on Nevo since it ends in a certain device mode anyway and runs the appropriate macro. I use the screen wrapping trick a lot, putting my most used commands on the first and last pages, about equal to the number of button presses you'd need if all those were shifted functions.

My VCRs and DVD players are long gone. And I've got only one Tivo, one Roku and one BD player. So I don't really have that many devices that I would use all the time.

In any case, I know exactly where you're coming from. I can't think of any way to make Nevo more streamlined than what you're doing with your current remotes. As they say, if it ain't broke...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My VCRs are still there just because it would require work to take them out. And when I did the extender and toadtogs, I got them working just to see if I could.

We have a Blu Ray player now too, which is mainly used for Netflix and Youtube, but of course, we could use it to play DVDs too. One of the 2 DVD players is still needed because it is multi region and can play British discs, like most of my Ali G collection!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respek
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the LIKE button in phpbb forums? lol

wess side
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: