JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Al Richey's "no repeats" protocols.ini updates
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Al Richey's "no repeats" protocols.ini updates Reply with quote

Hi Al,
I have tried to compile all the "no repeats" protocols that I could find, where you or others have posted the info.

The file is here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13629

All the protocols still used their original PID except for NEC1, so what I did was change NEC1 back to 005A and then for all of them, I added VariantName=slingbox, which will ensure that a protocol upgrade is added if this protocol is selected. The idea being that we can all add this to our copies of protocols.ini without causing any other problems.

The reason I did this is because, whenever I open an RM file that uses NEC1 (no repeats), RM complains because it doesn't have the protocol, so I wanted to add them to my copy of protocols.ini and I wanted an easy way to re-add them after an RM upgrade.

If you have any others that you'd like to add to the list, please post them.

Thanks,
Rob
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob

Sorry, my fault. That was posted quite some time before I was told they should have a different Variant Name. I have since updated my file but didn't upload it.

Have you actually updated the one in the File Section ? If so I don't want to overwrite it.

Al
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't overlay your file, I loaded a new one. My file *just* has the changed protocols in it, nothing else.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. I'm off to bed now but I will come up with a proper combined file tomorrow. (Mind you, I see only 14 downloads in 3 years so it isn't that popular Very Happy )
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanrichey wrote:
Good. I'm off to bed now but I will come up with a proper combined file tomorrow. (Mind you, I see only 14 downloads in 3 years so it isn't that popular Very Happy )

Yeah, the general population doesn't need it, it's just the nerd squad like me 'n Vicky, lol
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why these are not included in the official protocols ini. Approximately 150 of the upgrades in the file section use these non repeating protocols. Most of these upgrades don't have a repeating counterpart. I know that is a tiny fraction of the files that have been uploaded, but I don't think this is all nerd squad. I do wonder at the low count of downloads though. Perhaps people just buy new equipment.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is to add them to the master protocols.ini

I'd like to add them with slingbox as the variant name so as to force a protocol upgrade, but that would make the current upgrade files clash with them, unfortunately.

But, just FYI, when I come across an upgrade that uses a "no repeats" protocol, I always switch it back to the regular one.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option would be for me to stop uploading any BIN files that use a non-repeat protocol and simply provide the user with a one-off and upload the normal one ?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, the bin files absolutely need the no repeat version of the code, or you wouldn't have created it, but the RM file that you load in the general section should have the repeating version because people will be using that in their remotes.

But if the no repeat protocols were included in protocols.ini, it would make them available to people who are creating their own Slingbox bin files. (If there is anybody doing that, I think you may have corned the market there, lol).
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
No no, the bin files absolutely need the no repeat version of the code, or you wouldn't have created
Not actually sure about that. It all depends on the sensitivity of the receiver and I don't thing that applies to all of the boxes of a certain type, just a few in each batch. I have certainly seen occasions where 40 people have downloaded a BIN file but only one person has seen the problem.

The Robman wrote:
But if the no repeat protocols were included in protocols.ini, it would make them available to people who are creating their own Slingbox bin files. (If there is anybody doing that, I think you may have corned the market there, lol).

OK, not my call about whether they are included in the 'official' Protocol.ini, I'll leave that to you.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob: Updated your update Very Happy

I added 3 more protocols I had, TDC, Zaptor and Kaseikyo-G. I made sure they had the right Variant Names but best you check anyway.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Al. There's no need to leave non-S3C8 code in these entries, especially as that code probably hasn't been changed to be non-repeating, so I deleted the HCS08, etc code from those entries.

I also just standardized all the entries to have "(no repeats)" in the name (ie, plural with no caps).
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, makes sense.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
alanrichey wrote:

Yeah, the general population doesn't need it, it's just the nerd squad like me 'n Vicky.

My vote is to add them to the master protocols.ini

I'd like to add them with slingbox as the variant name so as to force a protocol upgrade, but that would make the current upgrade files clash with them, unfortunately.

I see that the posted set of protocols.ini entries for these no-repeat variants does have "slingbox" as variant name. I understand from Vicky that there has been opposition elsewhere to their inclusion in the public protocols.ini, presumably because they might cause confusion and very few users, perhaps just the three of you, actually need them. But if they are not in the public file then whenever an RM/RMIR update includes a protocols.ini update, they get overwritten and need to be added again by you three to your private version.

I have tried to meet any objections in this trial posting of build 13 of RM/RMIR. There is a new entry in the Options menus of both RM and RMIR, "Show Slingbox protocols", which is set unchecked by default. The setting is common to both RM and RMIR, so it doesn't matter which one you edit, the result applies to both. When this is unchecked then the loading of protocols.ini will ignore any entries with a variant name of "slingbox" or "Slingbox", so the general user will not see these entries. When it is checked then these variants are loaded. The setting, of course, is persistent as it is stored in the RemoteMaster.properties file. As it is read on loading, any change to this entry takes effect only when you close and re-open RM or RMIR.

I think you three will all have these entries in your protocols.ini, I hope with this variant name, so please try build 13 and post how you like this proposed solution.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly like the sound of it and will give it a try. Thanks Graham.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: