JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

PIP functions on Comcast silver remote 1067BC3-001-R
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janeiac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: PIP functions on Comcast silver remote 1067BC3-001-R Reply with quote

I want to thank all the kind folks on here for sharing their considerable knowledge.

I have the popular Universal Electronics "Insight" remote (branded Comcast) with the red OK button and the PIP functions. I have successfully programmed it it control my old Toshiba TN50v71 TV and my old audio receiver. Everything works great except that I cannot get the PIP buttons to work the PIP on my TV. I want to the PIP buttons (off/on, channel +-, swap) to work, nothing fancy, just as labelled. I did try the extended codes found in the files section here, without success. I also tried the learning function with the silver remote eye-to-eye with the original remote-- no dice.
Any advice woould be appreciated.

1. Device: Toshiba TN50V71
2. Type of device: TV
3. Year: 90's
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: 1067BC3-001-R
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? no
6. Still have original remote? yes
7. Checked the file section? yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes
9. Partially working setup code? yes
10. Learning remote question? n/a
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What setup code are you using to control the TV?
Janeiac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Toshiba TV PIP Reply with quote

The TV code is 10154. I did try tv-->setup-->994 etc, that did not work. I got the advanced code from the files section under 0154 tv's -- should I try different codes?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try EFC 00235?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "didn't work", do you mean that the 994 process didn't work, or that the codes that you tried didn't work?

Your remote probably uses 5 digit advanced codes, in which case you would need to prefix the 3 digit codes on this site with 2 leading zeroes in order to test them. For example, the code listed for POWER is 119, so to test it you would use 00119.

Here are the PIP codes:
00234 PIP Location
00230 PIP Freeze
00235 PIP On/Off
00232 PIP Replace

I'm surprised that your Toshiba set responds to TV/0154, as that's generally a Sanyo code. Most Toshiba's respond to TV/0156
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site says that the TN50V71 uses the same remote (CT-9953) as the CN36H97. We have an upgrade for the latter and it is NEC1 device 64.

So the setup code should be 10156. Other possibilities that may be a better fit (and which might have the desired PIP functions) are 10845, 11156, 11256, 11356, and 11656. I expect that the 11x56 setup codes will have very similar behavior

The EFCs mentioned above are for a different IR protocol, and aren't likely to work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If TV/0156 is the right code, try these advanced codes...

00043 PIP Ch Down
00039 PIP Ch Up
00042 PIP Source

00195 Pip Ch Down
00191 Pip Ch Up
00105 PIP On/Off
00036 PIP Still
00107 PIP Swap
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Lookup Tool, the 1067BX3 has these EFCs already assigned to the PIP buttons in all of the 11x56 setup codes, while 10845 has nothing assigned to the PIP buttons. So I'm doubtful that entering these EFCs will help, unless the remote already had wrong EFCs assigned to these buttons.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the lookup tool shows the codes that might be assigned to the PIP keys, neither the [1]0156 nor the [1]1054 has any pip keys defined in the Comcast 1067Bx3.

I only had a comcast set top box for 1 week prior to leaving FL, but my guess would be that the STB would provide the PIP tuning, so the TV PIP codes are not provided. I could be wrong. Its been a long time since I delved into the guts of the comcast.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the TV codes in the Comcast 1067A have any PIP codes, so I think that would also hold true for the Comcast 1067B. Makes sense to me.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm home now and can verify Vicky's supposition. The PIP buttons are not active on any setup code in the 1067BX3, so try the EFCs in Rob's post just above. I did check that EFCs can be assigned to the PIP buttons.
Janeiac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: ok now I'm even more confused Reply with quote

This page
says my tv code should be 10156, which is also in the manual that came with the remote. The manual I have alternatively gives 11256 and some others. To double check, I took another copy of the exact same remote that I use with a different TV (a Sony) and programmed the tv codes for the Toshiba into it to see which worked. 11256 turns out to be the correct one. (Yes-- this remote needs five-digit codes-- I thought I must append a "1" or "10" to shorter codes at the beginning for TV functions, on the TV button, is that correct?)

So now I'm going back to the files section, and I'll look up the codes for the other TV code set, and see if that works.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay since you are using TV/0156 instead of the TV/0154 that you orignially told us, look at the PIP codes that were posted in this thread!

The_Robman wrote:
If TV/0156 is the right code, try these advanced codes...

00043 PIP Ch Down
00039 PIP Ch Up
00042 PIP Source

00195 Pip Ch Down
00191 Pip Ch Up
00105 PIP On/Off
00036 PIP Still
00107 PIP Swap

Do you know how to use these codes, or do you need instructions?

Your original post made it sound like you know how to test them, but now I'm reading it again and am not sure you have used keymoves or tested EFC's before.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janeiac,
I'm puzzled by your statement that 11256 is the "correct" setup code. Any of 10156, 11156, 11256, 11356, and 11656 will provide power, volume arrow keys, etc. If some of those setup codes didn't provide the basic functions, then maybe you haven't got the procedure fully understood yet.

I also notice that you tried to teach the OEM remote signals to the Comcast. But, the Comcast is not a learning remote, and it does not acknowledge the 975 command, so you should have known that it would not work.

So let's go back to basics.
When you enter a setup code, or issue a 9XX command, UEI remotes blink twice to acknowledge that the command was recognized and is valid.
So to use TV 0156 (11056 for the red button Comcast), you need to
1) Press TV
2) Press Setup until two blinks
3) Enter 11056
4) Check to see that the remote blinks twice. If it instead blinks once, the setup code was not accepted, either because it isn't actually resident in the remote, or something went awry in the procedure.

To assign an EFC to a button
1) Press TV
2) Press Setup until two blinks
3) Enter 994 (you should see two blinks: 994 is a recognized command)
4) Tap Setup
5) Enter 00105 (or other EFC)
6) Tap PIP on/off (or other button)
7) Verify that the remote blinks twice

Use the EFCs that Rob provided, and subsequently echoed by Vicky.
Janeiac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Got my PIP buttons mostly working Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who has given help and advice.

Let me clarify and sum up where I am now, and then I have a few more steps I'd like to take if possible.

I made a simple typo in my earlier posting about my TV setup code. The correct code is 11256. I used this to map my TV's functions onto my Comcast UE remote 1067BC3-001-R. Most of my TV's functions were then accessible via the silver remote. Not sure where I got the mistaken notion I could "teach" it-- probably I mixed that up with the fact that the Tohiba TV's original remote (CT-9933) does learn.
I was still lacking access to the PIP functions; Rob's codes then worked for me. I have PIP on/off, channel +/-, and swap properly mapped to the keys as labelled. I didn't bother with PIP still since I don't want it, I don't use it. I also mapped PIP source to the silver remote's "HD ZOOM" button since I don't use that (my TV is SD and doesn't support it regardless.)
I was curious to know if mapping to one of those other keys would work, and it did.
Now I'd like to find the code numbers for PIP locate. I don't see it on the advanced code list in the library section. AM I overlooking it? Does anyone know what it is?

After all this, I'd like to then get the CT-9933 mapped to the Comcast box funtions. I'm hoping "learn" will work. Any advice on this is welcome.

Next is a little more tricky-- my Sony TV KV32SXR10 with remote RM-755 (which is apparently not programmable). THe TV is really old (1989 or so) and I am missing the original remote. The Comcast silver remote mostly works for it but I am missing the critical channel scan feature which does not even exist on the TV's buttons. Any ideas how to get that into the UE 1067?
I've placed a bid for one on ebay but...

Thanks again for all the help.

Last edited by Janeiac on Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: