JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First post/help request, RCA RCRP05BR Serial cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
proufo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: First post/help request, RCA RCRP05BR Serial cable Reply with quote

Hello to all. Glad to be here.

I recently purchased a RCA RCRP05BR and a very cheap serial interface from ebay described as "JP 1.11.21.3 Serial Cable for Remote Control - Customize Your Universal Remote". No longer available, seller has 0 items for sale.

The connector won't fit the remote. I don't know if that is just a mechanical thing or if that implies that the cable is not the right one and I should not use it.

I can futz with the remote and make the connector fit but I want to be sure I won't damage anything when I connect the cable. I'd need to know the direction the cable should be connected (going upwards or downwards) in case it's just a mechanical fit matter.

The circuitry in the cable includes two chips marked "472" and a 14-pin IC very faintly ID'd (erased?) as 6CFV10KG4 HC266. No individual wires seem to have been cut in the ribbon and the PCB inside the connector is connected to all six wires.

Many, many thanks in advance.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the completed ebay listing still there (look in your ebay purchase history)? If so, please post a link.

Can you describe what the connector looks like on this cable? Is it a 2x3 6-pin connector, or a 1x5 5-pin connector, for example? What color wire goes to each spot on the connector?
proufo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Robman and many, many thanks for this site.

The Robman wrote:
Is the completed ebay listing still there (look in your ebay purchase history)? If so, please post a link.

It's dead already

The Robman wrote:
Can you describe what the connector looks like on this cable? Is it a 2x3 6-pin connector, or a 1x5 5-pin connector, for example? What color wire goes to each spot on the connector?
Based on the schematics by Tommy Tyler (many thanks!), I'd guess I would need to cut wire 5 from the PCB.

Would that be enough to reasonably guarantee no damage to the remote?

The pins in the remote are identified, so I'd guess it is a matter of making room for the connector, connect it and see what happens (after I read all I need to, I'm new at this).

It is a 2x3 connector, with a small prominence on "top", not a large one on the side as the RCA remote expects.

Many thanks again, Robman.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see now what you mean by "doesn't fit", I thought you meant that you got a 1x5 cable where you need a 2x3, but what you're really saying is the IDC connector is just too big for the opening in your remote. Sounds like you have an old fashioned IDC connector that has the bit on top, where most cables these days come with a really small connector with no protruding bits.

As for cutting wires, I will others who know this better than me advise, but these days the cables don't have anything on pin1 or pin5.

If you want to buy a new cable, the following cable is $8.50 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

It comes with 1-pin at a time type connectors, but you can glue them together to make a working connector. The pinout is described here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360
proufo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you want to buy a new cable, the following cable is $8.50 shipped:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261101529602
Just a couple of bucks more than what I paid for my troublesome Serial cable. Sad

Thanks for your support. Will delve on this starting on Monday.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a cable for $6.50? Wow, where? I've never heard of them being that cheap. This $8.50 ebay cable is great, and it would be perfect if it had the right connector on it.

This USB cable is $36.95 Plus US Shipping & Handling Rate: $7.95
http://www.txsat.net/JPX_Flash.html

And this one is $19.99 plus shipping
http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes.html
proufo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You got a cable for $6.50? Wow, where? I've never heard of them being that cheap. This $8.50 ebay cable is great, and it would be perfect if it had the right connector on it.
USD4.99 and free shipping IIRC.

Not really a bargain, given the impending hassle.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proufo,
Similar to this one? You can remove the strain relief clip (you can put it back if you want) to reduce the width of the IDC connector. It's also possible to shave off the rib on the top of the IDC connector using a cutter. Be sure to cut the ribbon cable wire which would connect to pin 5 of the remote.

Rob,
Please don't recommend that DIYGadget cable. It doesn't work with JP2 remotes because it uses a Prolific chipset which doesn't handle 2 stop bits correctly. Besides, the drivers available for it are terrible when used with Win 7 or 8. DIYGadget does offer a cable with a FTDI chip for $29.99. The FTDI chipset (also seen in the txsat and the chip partner cables) works with JP1.2, JP1.3, JP1.4, JP2, and JP3 remotes and there are drivers for just about any OS. However, based on posts that we've seen here over the last couple of years, I'm pretty leery of the quality of DIYGadget's products.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasn't trying to recommend it, I was posting it to show how much cables normally cost, compared to the chip_partner cable on ebay.
proufo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
proufo,
Similar to this one? You can remove the strain relief clip (you can put it back if you want) to reduce the width of the IDC connector. It's also possible to shave off the rib on the top of the IDC connector using a cutter. Be sure to cut the ribbon cable wire which would connect to pin 5 of the remote.

Exactly that one, 3FG!

I'm concerned about the integrity of the ribbon cable connection to the connector if I remove the strain relief, particularly when unplugging the connector from the remote.

Is it viable/sane to disassemble the remote so I can work on removing plastic from the bottom case to make way for the connector? Is there a procedure somewhere?

Will cut the 5 wire, as you suggest.

Many thanks!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to butcher your remote. Remove the strain relief, super-glue what's left if you're concerned it might come apart. I've done it with many cables which are still going strong.
proufo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
No need to butcher your remote. Remove the strain relief, super-glue what's left if you're concerned it might come apart. I've done it with many cables which are still going strong.
Many thanks, mdavej. I might do that.
proufo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, when the instructions say "connect the remote to the PC" is that with the batteries in or batterylessly?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, your model needs batteries when connecting.
proufo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cavity butchered, wire 5 cut.

Ready for next week.

Thanks to all for your support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: