JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

6440 v1.04 Extended bricked?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: 6440 v1.04 Extended bricked? Reply with quote

With 6440, after uploading an adjusted Extender v1.04 setup using RMIR 3.02 build8 the TV device button flashed intermittently, as if the region had not been set. Pressing and holding 1, for UK, stopped it flashing.

Something seemed to have gone wrong and I think this is what I then did to it:
1. Started again by restoring the standard settings.bin,
2. followed by the .bin for the extender (2570A1) and,
3. in RMIR with the setup loaded, install extender.

Again I must have done something wrong and seem to have trashed the remote because no buttons flash, it is not recognised by Windows7 except as an 'uknown device', and its properties say "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)".

I think it was wrong that in 3. I had used a setup saved with the Extender already installed (in which case I did not need to do 'install extender') but taking out and replacing the batteries did not help.

Is there a way to un-brick it please?
ncoig

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 6440 v1.04 Extended bricked? Reply with quote

You may have tried this, but take out the batteries and push the lighted buttons to zap all the juice, let it sit a bit, then reinsert the batteries and do a factory clear of the remote.

I had the same situation with a 6540; thought it was toast, but it came back.

Keep the faith!

-N
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think it is possible to brick the 6440 by loading a faulty settings.bin file. You should be able to restore it as follows. Take out the batteries. Connect the remote to the PC with its USB lead. THEN put the batteries back. The remote should now be recognised as an external drive by the PC, so you can copy any valid settings.bin back to it to restore the remote.

If this does not work, please post again. In the course of development of the extender, I have had several times when the remote was apparently bricked and was not recognised as an external drive by the PC. This trick with the batteries has always resolved the issue.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
... You should be able to restore it as follows. Take out the batteries. Connect the remote to the PC with its USB lead. THEN put the batteries back. The remote should now be recognised as an external drive by the PC, so you can copy any valid settings.bin back to it to restore the remote...
Mr. Green That worked fine, many thanks.

After restoration with the original setting.bin file I still had the TV device button slow-blinking, that is until button #1 had been pressed and held until two blinks. The same after copying in the Extender settings.bin, and again after re-loading the working setup, which otherwise works just fine. Is this normal, or how might that have come about or be resolved?

ncoig, thanks but unfortunately that was not successful because the remote remained unresponsive, so a factory restore could not be tried.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
After restoration with the original setting.bin file I still had the TV device button slow-blinking, that is until button #1 had been pressed and held until two blinks. The same after copying in the Extender settings.bin, and again after re-loading the working setup, which otherwise works just fine. Is this normal, or how might that have come about or be resolved?

It is normal with the original settings.bin file (if you mean the unextended reset file in the extender package) and with the extender reset file, as both are "factory resets" in which the region has not been set. It should not happen in a working setup. I don't know what could have caused that.

You can put it right by setting the region (holding down #1), downloading the remote to RMIR and saving it as a .rmir file. That file should not give the blinks when re-loaded to the remote. If you lose names of functions etc that you want to preserve, copy the [Buffer] section of the .rmir file (i.e. the hex listing) from the newly saved file to (a copy of) the working setup with the problem. Load that hybrid file to RMIR and save it. I think you should find that all is well when you load that to the remote. If not, then post again as there is another way but more difficult to describe.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fixed it thank you. I guess that the problem may have arisen when converting an earlier working Extended setup for OARUSB04G for use with 6440. In that case I think you had explained how to replace just the [General] section of the '04G's .rmir file with one for 6440. That did also retain the comments but perhaps it could not 'set the region', because '04G does not need to do that?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
That fixed it thank you. I guess that the problem may have arisen when converting an earlier working Extended setup for OARUSB04G for use with 6440. In that case I think you had explained how to replace just the [General] section of the '04G's .rmir file with one for 6440. That did also retain the comments but perhaps it could not 'set the region', because '04G does not need to do that?

Glad the fix worked. Yes, the conversion from '04G to 6440 will have caused it, as RMIR will add in the segment used for region setting, but it adds it with the region unset.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: