JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Setup Code
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steven Kovacs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Setup Code Reply with quote

I downloaded a device upgrade for my Sony television that contained the discrete power commands I need. I entered that device upgrade into my RMIR program. It displayed a setup code of 1111. My UEI 1056B01 does not contain that setup code, or at least when I tried to enter setup code 1111 into my remote it did not accept it. I happen to know the setup code for Sony televisions is 0000, and I know that code will work on my remote when I put it in to the remote. . I have no idea how I know to use setup code 0000, but I did know that. I changed the setup code to 0000 in RM Editor and I loaded the discrete on command to my
remote and it worked perfectly. My question is twofold..
1. Other than trying to load the command on my remote, and not have it work is there a way to know if the setup code is correct?
2. If the setup code in any device upgrade I load into RMIR is incorrect for my UEI 1056BO1 remote, how do I find the correct setup code for my UEI 1056B01 remote?

Thanks for the help.

Steve
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup code number in an upgrade is usually unrelated to the built in codes. In order to use an efc calculated from our tools you need to find a built in setup code that uses the same protocol and fixed data.

Have you looked at the lookup tool?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Steven Kovacs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I find an device upgrade for the device and brand I am dealing with, if my UEI remote has a setup code in it that is a setup code for that brand and device the EFCs from that upgrade will work in my remote even though I had to change the original setup code that came with that upgrade to a setup code that is in my remote?

Also, is there one JP1 remote model that is better than another for capturing EFCs?

Thanks for the help!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setup codes for device upgrade files are completely arbitrary. If they happen to match a built in code, the upgrade will take precedence. They don't have to match at all, in fact, it's better if they don't. Setup codes are only important if you're trying to use EFCs with built in codes. In that case, you must use the built in setup code that matches the protocol/device/subdevice in the upgrade that has the EFCs you want. Hope that makes sense.

I use Tommy Tyler's IR widget to capture EFCs. It's more convenient than using a remote. All JP1 remotes learn essentially the same way. Newer models tend to have a bit more learning memory than older ones, so learning sessions could be longer in that case. Remember, once you start learning, you can just keep pressing buttons to learn without doing the 975 again. I can usually capture an entire remote in under 2 minutes in a single learning session.

Keep in mind that between our file section and RemoteCentral, there's very little learning you'll ever need to do.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, try to think about how a universal remote works, it is preloaded with a library of setup codes and the actual setup code numbers themselves are meaningless except for the fact that they are listed in the printed manual to allow users to enter them. The setup code numbers are arbitrarily assigned by UEI.

When JP1 users create upgrades, they are totally free to use whatever setup code numbers they like, because they don't need to match the printed manual and they are not going to get added to the UEI master database.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay i'm having some deja vu here. We might as well nip this in the bud.
we don't really capture efc's we capture obc's. Sometimes decodes give us efcs for the simplest executor of the protocol.

We often need to recalculate the efcs if the remote uses a different executor to send the signal.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Steven Kovacs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob;
I understand that when you buy a universal remote the setup codes in the manual were loaded in the factory, and those setup codes when entered into that remote turn that remote into a remote for a particular device such as a cd player, or television. I believe I have that part correct. Am I correct on this?

Now the part I really need to understand, and I believe you really broke thru to me on something I was not getting. You wrote...
"When JP1 users create upgrades, they are totally free to use whatever setup code numbers they like, because they don't need to match the printed manual and they are not going to get added to the UEI master database."
Does this means once I load the device upgrade into RMIR (RM Editor) then download the device upgrade onto my UEI remote, the setup code that was attached to the device upgrade device is now in my UEI remote? Therefore to access the discrete command I wanted that was in that device upgrade I simply enter the setup code that was attached to the device upgrade and go through the setup 994 process to place the discrete command on any button on my UEI remote?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a cable, you shouldn't be using the 994 commands anymore! Keymoves and macros should be entered in RMIR and thenuploaded to the remote. The RMIR file has all your documentation and unused functions! Your remote's e2 area does NOT store your comments or excess functions.

Steven Kovacs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob;
So I have to assign the discrete command to a specific button before downloading the device command to my remote. Is that correct? Then after I download to my remote the discrete command should be on the button I assigned it to. Is that correct?

What is e2 area?

Thank you
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Upload TO you rremote.
You Download FROM your remote.

Yes assign your discrete function to a button either as a keymove or within the device upgrade. Typically you do it within the device upgrade unless you are assigning it to another device.

Steven Kovacs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to say upload. I normally drag and drop the discrete function to a button. Two questions...
1. What do you mean when you say "assign your discrete function to a button either as a keymove or within the device upgrade"?

2. After I assign the discrete command to a button and upload to my remote, if I press the button on my remote I assigned the command to it should execute the discrete command. Is that correct?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STEVEN KOVACS wrote:
I meant to say upload. I normally drag and drop the discrete function to a button. Two questions...
1. What do you mean when you say "assign your discrete function to a button either as a keymove or within the device upgrade"?

2. After I assign the discrete command to a button and upload to my remote, if I press the button on my remote I assigned the command to it should execute the discrete command. Is that correct?

Sometimes when you drag a function to a button it turns into a keymove instead of being incorporated into the device upgrade. for your remote nearly all the buttons are part of the keymap so the function doesnt turn into a keymove very often, but usually a keymove results if you drag it to a shifted button. A 994 comand creates a keymove.

Keymoves can be useful in moving a function to another device too.

Steven Kovacs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I did not drag the discrete code to a button and simply uploaded the device upgrade to my remote would the discrete command be anywhere on the remote?

By the way... thank you for the help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way the function makes it to the remote is if the function is assigned to a button and if the function was not assigned as a keymove, then the setup code must be assigned to a device.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I can tell from the type of questions that you are asking that you haven't done much reading up on JP1 yet. You really should check out the wiki (link at the top of every page), especially the RM "how to" that I gave you the link to earlier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: