JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

TYLER'S STORE FOR IRTOMMY WIDGETS + GADGETS - old post
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidiko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy,

I have been a member for less than two weeks, and I have an electronics undergraduate degree, and I am telling you that is one fine looking piece of hardware. You undoubtedly spent a lot of time in the research and design, and workmanship of your cables as well. I can sense the appreciation the members of the forum extend to you, as well as admire you.

Yesterday, I sent you a PM about wanting to buy a USB2 for my new Radio Shack 15-135 JP1.3. I don't know if you got it, I am new and could have done something wrong. I thought I would ask in the open, on the forum.

If you replied and I have overlooked it, please excuse me.
mattg568

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my cable today. Tommy, it looks great and works extremely well. Tell me, is it strange that I didn't need the drivers you posted, instead Vista used Windows Update and installed the drivers?

Edit: Also, for some reason, I had to bend pin 5 of my 15-135 to make it work.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg568 wrote:
Edit: Also, for some reason, I had to bend pin 5 of my 15-135 to make it work.
That behavior is well-known and is explained in this post.

If you read the Sticky post in the Hardware forum about choosing the right interface, there is a link to that post.

Now why you got a JP1.x rather than a JP1.2/1.3 cable, I cannot explain, since Tommy's Marketplace post indicates that he defaults to the JP1.2/1.3 variant unless you ask otherwise.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mattg568

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think I have a JP1.x cable? The one I have is clearly labeled JP1.2/3.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattg568,

I can't explain why you had to disable pin 5. Everything I've shipped since a week before yours had no connection to pin 5 of the cable, and the way they are assembled makes it nearly impossible for me to make that mistake (although I make my shair of misteaks). Is it possible you misdiagnosed a problem (such as a wrongly inserted connector) and didn't make the same error after you bent the pin?

If you return it and examination shows it to be defective, I'll be happy to repair it and pay your shipping cost. You shouldn't have to remember to bend the pin on all JP1.3 remotes in the future.

Tommy
mattg568

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I bent pin 5 on the 15-135 nothing worked. I tried rebooting, re-plugging (both ends), plugging the IDC connector upside down. IR could not talk to it. Checking the interface failed, downloading failed. As soon as I was told about pin 5 I bent it. Nothing happened to my laptop during the last connect attempt fail and subsequent bending of pin 5.

Plus I have 2 Comcast JP1.3 remotes that also required bending of pin 5, otherwise they would fail to communicate with IR.

Edit: And now, unfortunately, pin 5 of my 15-135 is permanently bent in two places. There was virtually no room to bend the pin normally so I bent it toward the T shape and pushed it hard enough that it lays across the floor and bends up the wall.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I send you a replacement interface, will you send the first one back after you get it? Maybe I can learn something.

Edit: And don't worry about the double-bent pins. I guarantee you will NEVER need them.

Tommy
mattg568

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll send the one I have now back to you when I get the replacement.

And I won't have to worry about that double-bent pin, I got it back up and wiggled it back and forth until it broke off. Still works.

Edit: Do you think it might be my setup that can cause the cable to do that? I use Vista (a laptop) and Windows used Windows Update to install the drivers upon first connecting the cable to the computer. Ports (COM & LPT) only shows up in device manager when I connect the cable and it always connects to COM4.
Duilio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this jp1 thing.

I've read in the previous page that the usb cable with leds (it seems to me 1.2/1.3 ) works fine with Parallels on a Mac.
From the xls list i found that the urc-8910 has a jp1 interface, not 1.2/1.3.

Anyone know if there's an evidence that this usb cable for jp1 works fine under parallels?

I'm ready to buy 2 8910. No problem for me, i'm a pc guy Smile I can make a parallel cable on my own, but my father-in-law plays on the iMac side only Cool so i'm thinking ask Tommy and place an order for 2 usb cables too.

Best wishes..
kdd33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Pin 5 on 15-135 Reply with quote

Tommy
I just received your interface also and had to bend pin 5 to get it to work on the 15-135. I do not need a replacement as I am fine with using it that way, just thought I would let you know that there is something going on with the interface and the 15-135 remote on pin 5.

Interface really works great!

Karl
skids

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received my cable today. Excellent service. Fast shipping.

A very satisfied customer.

Thank You Tommy
Sergey

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: USB/JP1, Delcom 4.6.0.0, Vista SP1, IR7.11: working Reply with quote

Got my new USB JP1 cable from Tommy a couple of days ago - a pretty piece of work and he ships FAST! Finally got around to testing.

- Latest Delcom driver (4.6.0.0) must be installed by plugging in the cable and following the prompts from Vista to let it load the driver from the unzipped driver installation directory. Vista bluescreened during the driver install. After reboot everything looked OK - the driver is apparently installed and working.

- IR must be run as Administrator (just right-click and select it, or go into Properties/Compatibility to make this permanent), otherwise it cannot talk to the interface. Note that the default interface for IR is parallel, you need to explicitly select USB JP1 after starting IR.

Happy JP1-ing!
Spathi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG after a 2 year 'lazy' occasional search i am here...
I know it is a USB...
Just I had so much trouble finding this... so some keywords for google

easy remote control programming
best
JP1.2 Serial Cable
JP1.3 Serial Cable
JP1.x Serial Cable
JP1 Serial Cable
JP1.2 Cable
JP1.3 Cable
JP1.x Cable
JP1 Cable
Tommy is da man!
Respect!

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1009
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=81
stangbat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received my JP 1 and JP 1.2/3 cables today. They work great and they were shipped quickly. Another happy customer.
irs009

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say enough about thes cables. The craftsmanship is flawless, they work every time you plug them in, the shipping was fast.

Tommy, You've put the fun back in JP1.

Thanks, Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: