JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC 8910 (and possibly 9910) reallocating memory.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: URC 8910 (and possibly 9910) reallocating memory. Reply with quote

EDIT: Need help Re changing memory boundaries. See later posts.

The instructions for installing the extender for the URC-8910 are out of date, intended for the old IR.exe program. This is despite the fact that the zip file contains a .hex file that RMIR can use to simply install the extender with the minimum of fuss.

I've been through the text files that come with the extender, including those for various extended functions which involve having to hack in hex codes, whereas RMIR makes using these functions simple. So I've edited it all together into one PDF. Even though I'm not adding an actual extender, would it be OK if I uploaded it there, making it clear that users would also have to download the original extender file?

Last edited by davecs on Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing Dave, go for it.
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, done. The link is

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26776

These particular remotes keep turning up on Ebay. Without the after-sales service from UEI, they are out-of-date and therefore not much use. But with JP1, RMIR and the extender, they are just the job for remote control hackers. I was thinking of putting an article on my web site which of course I'll link to here.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're also welcome to add any of this to the Wiki.
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I'll work on an article, possibly aimed at people who may not have yet heard of JP1 and this site, probably also covering the Arduino set up etc. Then maybe I can trim out stuff that's already well covered in the wiki, and post what's left.

It never ceases to amaze me how many of these are on sale on eBay. I guess that people give up on them because they can't get updates from UEI any more.
davecs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Sure thing Dave, go for it.

I've found an error in the text for the FAV key, which I copied through from the original documents without testing. I've now used the FAV key, in conjunction with FLIRC, to move the mouse to various useful points on the screen in turn, as part of the controls for a media centre. I've found that, unlike it said in the original text, the extended remote does NOT temporarily switch to the device set up to use the FAV key when it's pressed.

I've replaced the document, with the FAV key section re-written and one or two minor tweaks elsewhere.

I know the other stuff works because I've used it, now and in the past. It's the first time I've used the FAV key.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Rob

I'd like to add a page to the wiki to try and simplify the building of the Arduino interface for old JP1 EEPROM remotes. I was surprised to find that there's nothing there! I'm going to admit that the stuff that had appeared on this site intimidated and confused me, and it was only the graphic uploaded by ylaviolette in the thread about the FT232 connector, of all places, that gave me the confidence to attempt it myself!

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=69

I've downloaded and altered that graphic to show separate wires from pins 3 and 5 to the two GND connectors on the board. I've also taken photos of my assembled interface from different angles to ensure that there is no misunderstanding about which way round everything faces. The problem is that there is a little "tick" on a 3x2 Dupont connector, and if you assume that's for Pin 1, you'll end up with a mirror image of what you actually want.

For this I need two things:

A new page! Title "Building the Arduino Interface for older remotes".

To know how to upload images to the wiki.

Cheers, Dave.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:

If you search for that exact string, the Wiki will tell you that there were no results matching the query and it will give you a link to create the page in question.

davecs wrote:

Cheers, Dave.

Look at he menu list on the left side of the page where you should see "Upload file", use that to upload an image.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
davecs wrote:

If you search for that exact string, the Wiki will tell you that there were no results matching the query and it will give you a link to create the page in question.

davecs wrote:

Cheers, Dave.

Look at he menu list on the left side of the page where you should see "Upload file", use that to upload an image.

Done!

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Building_the_Arduino_Interface_for_older_remotes
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into another problem with this remote. Despite some economical use of sub-macros, I've run out of "Move/Macro" space. I still have 70+ bytes of Upgrade space which could become 130+ as I'm not using ToadTog. There are two alternate options in the extender area for this remote, but they involve sacrificing "Move/Macro" space to increase Upgrade space. Can anyone tell me how to hack the extender and rdf file in order to change the memory boundary?

P.S. I've already used the trick to call a TV a VCR in order to get more keys directly programmed rather than having to use key moves.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also post a link to your RMIR file, in case anyone has any ideas of how you could further reduce your current keymove/macro usage.
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You could also post a link to your RMIR file, in case anyone has any ideas of how you could further reduce your current keymove/macro usage.

Herewith:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26779
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using the SLEEP button in most of your upgrades, but you've selected a device mode that doesn't include SLEEP. If you change the device mode in all of your upgrades to CBL (which includes SLEEP) instead of VCR, etc the available keymove memory goes up to 27 bytes.

I see that all of the macros on the plain device buttons include xshift-Fav but I don't see that button programmed anywhere, either with a keymove or a macro. Is there some extender feature attached to that button?
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You're using the SLEEP button in most of your upgrades, but you've selected a device mode that doesn't include SLEEP. If you change the device mode in all of your upgrades to CBL (which includes SLEEP) instead of VCR, etc the available keymove memory goes up to 27 bytes.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'll also move 4Alt in Aux to Sleep.

The Robman wrote:
I see that all of the macros on the plain device buttons include xshift-Fav but I don't see that button programmed anywhere, either with a keymove or a macro. Is there some extender feature attached to that button?

Xshift-fav is on the Special Functions tab for each device, as an LKP. Short Press to point the remote at the main device. Long Press to Switch on the necessary devices then jumps to the short press function. For example, the macro on DVD sets DEV_DVD then calls XShift-fav which is an LKP. Short press calls Shift-DVD, setting remote up for DVD, Long Press calls XShift-DVD which switches on DVD player, amplifier and TV, then jumps to Shift-DVD.

I'm actually surprised that you can set a L/DKP inside a macro, but it works, and is the only way to set a global special function!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
Xshift-fav is on the Special Functions tab for each device

Ah, I forgot to check there!

Just FYI, here's a tip when dealing with older remotes like this, if you fire up KM, select the URC-8910 and then go to the Layout tab, it will show you which buttons are available in each device mode, and you'll notice that the list is longer for CABLE than VCR, so it's a better mode for upgrades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: