JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6440/OARUSB04G Extender 1.04 now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the extra info. For me it is worth investigating. Thanks also for repeating the Panasonic download and confirming that it was not a one-off glitch. It would not be the first time that we have found errors in UEI code. There was a bug in the unextended firmware for version R01 of the URC-6440 that I found and corrected in the extender. There are protocols in protocols.ini where we have had to correct bugs by UEI. So I still believe it is a UEI error.

The effect of the missing byte in the device upgrade would actually only affect one key, but that is enough at present to cause RMIR to crash. I will try to amend RMIR so that it ignores the missing byte rather than crashing, with a message in rmaster.err to point out the error. That probably won't be for a day or so, yet, but I hope you will test it when it is done.
bobocher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be happy to do any testing. Please send me a pre-release version to bobocher (at) gmail.com or via any other way you prefer.

About setup codes above 4095.
From my limited testing it seems such codes are becoming common. Maybe you could add a warning to RMIR if extended configuration contains such large codes. Fixing this in the extender would be probably way too much work; I think a warning in RMIR would be sufficient.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your file that RMIR could not parse turned out to be very interesting. First, RMIR should have been able to load it and it failed because of a bug that I have now fixed. The file also identified a second bug, also fixed. But to me the most interesting thing is that it showed that UEI have started to use in simpleset.com downloads a feature that previously has only been seen in XSight remotes that use the earlier download site ez-rc.com. I have now added support for that into RMIR as well.

Development build 13 of RMIR v2.04 has these various fixes. The package contains a replacement RemoteMaster.jar file, and also two updated RDF files for users with the remotes concerned.

I'll have to think what to do about setup codes > 4095. Early UEI remotes had a limit of 2047 that lasted them for a long time. As they neared that limit, they made changes to their data structures to support twice that number, up to 4095, and now they have changed again to allow values up to 16 bits which should last them forever Very Happy . I don't think there are any extenders that support values more than 4095. It isn't a major issue as all extenders need RMIR and RMIR allows you to change the setup code to a lower, supported, value. But I agree that RMIR should show some explanation when such values are encountered. That is still an outstanding issue, not included in this development build.
bobocher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm the new version loads the panasonic settings file without crash now. I also uploaded my conifg to the remote using this version and my devices work as expected, no issues encountered so far.

Quote:
UEI have started to use in simpleset.com downloads a feature that previously has only been seen in XSight remotes

That feature, is this something for us end users or is this a pure internal thing?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobocher wrote:
That feature, is this something for us end users or is this a pure internal thing?

It's an internal thing, an alternative way of representing certain data in an upgrade. RMIR now knows that both ways are used and can distinguish between them.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I'll have to think what to do about setup codes > 4095. Early UEI remotes had a limit of 2047 that lasted them for a long time. As they neared that limit, they made changes to their data structures to support twice that number, up to 4095, and now they have changed again to allow values up to 16 bits. ... I agree that RMIR should show some explanation when such values are encountered. That is still an outstanding issue, not included in this development build.

I have now posted RMIR v2.04 build 14 as an official release. This should fix issues associated with setup codes > 4095 by giving appropriate messages. In particular it should prevent installation of the URC-6440 and OARUSB04G extenders in remotes that already include device upgrades with setup codes beyond this limit, giving a message explaining what to do before repeating the installation process.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got my hands on an ORAUSB04G remote and have been playing with it. I'm trying to install the extender so that I can have a few more devices for my main setup (that has a 3-zone audio receiver

I'm following the instructions to install the extender

1: downloaded the remote and saved the default configuration in RMIR format
2: rename and copy the bin file to the remote via the USB Mass Storage connection
3: open the saved default configuration in RemoteMaster
4: install the hex file as extender

This is where it fails, I get an error message :

Ext install error

EEPROM area is located differently in extended and base remotes, Extinstall terminating.

now what?

I'm using RemoteMaster 2.01 build 14, Extender version 1.04

I also for yucks did a download of the remote from RM after I copied the extender bin to the remote and it does properly identify as "OARUSB04G Extender v1.04"

I'm starting with an empty configuration so I'm not worried about retaining anything, I just want to start to load in my devices and build up the configuration that I have in the Nexus 3147 (extended) JP1.3 remote.

thanks
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what may be causing the error, but if you're starting with an empty remote, installation of the extender is very simple and you've already done it in step 2. Just use RMIR to start programming it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be a bug in RMIR, as I now get this too. I don't know when it crept in, as I am sure the install process worked with the OARUSB04G when I first announced the extender, so my apologies and I will sort it shortly. However, 3FG is right in that you don't need this step. The install process is a means of migrating an existing setup from the unextended to the extended remote. After your step 2, your remote has the extender installed with an empty setup, i.e. the equivalent of a factory reset state for the extended remote. You can now use RMIR to create your new setup and all should be well.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having more problems trying to use the remote with RemoteMaster

When I create a device using rmir and then upload it the remote becomes a brick. none of the buttons work, the motion sensor doesn't work, nothing. Resetting by removing the batteries does nothing.

The USB Mass Storage device class does work so if I re-load the original settings.bin the remote comes back to life as soon as I unplug the USB cable.

This happens with both the extended and unextended remote.

What I do is:

1: use RM to download the current configuration (either with or without extender)
2: add a device for my TV.
3: upload that configuration with RM

I must be doing something wrong.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand how this is happening, so could you please post the files concerned, (a) the downloaded configuration after step 1 and (b) the saved configuration with the added TV device after step 2. I have an OARUSB04G for testing purposes even though, being in the UK, the remote I use is the URC-6440.

It might be helpful if you could include the original settings.bin of the unextended remote, too, in case there is something unusual about your remote.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my post above, I have now investigated the cause of the EEPROM area error message. There are five versions of the remote that we are aware of: revisions R00, R01 and R02 of the URC-6440 and two versions of the OARUSB04G, the original with signature 257604 that we have named the OARUSB04G 4000 and the newer one with signature 257601 that we simply call OARUSB04G. Of these five, the only one that will trigger this error message is the OARUSB04G 4000. This perhaps explains why I haven't seen any posting about this error before, as the newer OARUSB04G was already the current revision by the time my extender was announced. I have fixed this bug for the next build of RMIR.

This means that you must have the OARUSB04G 4000. The extender works with this and in fact there is no difference between its behaviour with that and with the later revision. However, I don't know if that original remote has ever been tested with RMIR on a Mac. My suspicion is that your upload problem is a result of the upload failing, not of the setup being created incorrectly, but I will look into this if you post the files I suggested in the earlier post.

If I am right, here is a work-around. RMIR will work with the settings.bin file directly, as well as with a .rmir file. Load the settings.bin file for the setup you want to modify, make the changes you need and then save it again as a .bin file (or use Save As on the File menu to save it with a different name). If you load a .bin file then the saved file will also be a .bin file. Now use the Mac file copy to copy the saved file to the remote. Note that it must be named simply settings.bin for the copying, but RMIR works with any name provided it has a .bin extension. You can do this with either the unextended remote or with the extender. You can also save a loaded settings.bin file as a .rmir file with Save As, by using the drop-down box to change the file type, but you can't load a .rmir file and save it as a .bin file as RMIR then doesn't have all the data to create the .bin.

If this work-around does work, it strongly suggests that RMIR's Mac support for the Simpleset remotes doesn't work with the OARUSB04G 4000. I know nothing about Macs, so can't help with fixing it. The Mac and Linux support for Simpleset remotes was done by Marcin (user yaworski).
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the original settings.bin back into the remote and downloaded and indeed do have an OARUSB04G 4000 (or at least that is how RM identifies it)

I'll try the work-around that you suggest to see if that helps.

Happy to do some debugging and will send files if you want. you should have a direct email from me in the last week asking another question so go ahead and just reply and ask for what you need to help figure out what went wrong.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also fire up my windows 7 virtual machine (that I use primarily for doing extender development since the assembler only runs on Windows and I've not had the desire to port it)

I can then try to upload a configuration with RemoteMaster using the windows version if that would be helpful.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, saving the setup as settings.bin and then copying to the remote seems to have worked, at least the remote buttons flash and I can start trying to build my system configuration
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: