JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I upgrade my OFA 8811?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you like it. I think you will.

The manual is a pretty good overview:
http://www.voxxintl.com/docs/common/ARRX15G/ARRX15G_OM.pdf
Skip the parts about installing software. Everything is online now.

This review is good too:
http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/acoustic_research_xsight_touch/index.html
It's about the C3, but most of it applies to the C2 as well.

If you like the web-based programming, you can continue doing that. But Remote Master is better. Works essentially the same as on your old remotes but has new interfaces for Favorites and Activities, among other things. I recommend you download the latest Remote Master, create an Xsight RMIR file and start experimenting.

I'll post one of my files as an example if you need it.

And do get some rechargeable batteries. The big LCD and backlight drains them in a few weeks. Setting the brightness and timeout to the lowest setting helps a lot.
stususs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these instructions from you. Are they still current and accurate?

In Internet Explorer on a Windows PC, go to http://www.ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/UserLogOn.aspx , create a new account, and connect your remote using the cable. You'll be prompted to download some software (conduit program). After installing that and logging in, you'll be prompted to update the firmware. It will take a few tries unplugging and replugging and logging in to finish the update. Then you'll log in again and follow the prompts to set up your remote. First add all your devices (up to 15 different ones including your TV and Denon), then create activities if you want to automatically power up and switch inputs with a single button press, like "Watch TV", "Watch Bluray", etc. If/when you want to go further, follow my Xsight link and try Remote Master.

And what is the difference between a "favorite" and an "activity?"
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those are very broad instructions to get started. They would replace the software installation part of the manual.

Activity = Macro plus keygroup assignments (i.e., Vol keys to AUD, Num keys to TV, Menu keys to DVD, etc.). On Xsight/Nevo, an activity can also have a name and icon that shows on the LCD.

Favorites = Fav on your old remote - short macros that go to specific channels (i.e., 102, 351, etc.). Instead of 8 favorites selected in order with each button press on your 8811, Xsight/Nevo has up to 12 pages with 6 on each page that can be selected at will. You can also have several subsets like Mom, Dad, Kids, Sports, etc. On Xsight/Nevo you can also assign a channel logo that shows on the LCD.

The LCD with icons, logos and named functions and macros is what makes this class of remote so easy to use compared to other JP1 remotes where you must memorize what function you assigned to what key or shifted key.
stususs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

As you offered, please post an XSight RMIR file that I may study.

I will also read the other links that you have provided.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13513
stususs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C2 arrived from China in 10 days.

I am trying to change the registry as you have instructed Windows 8.1 users.

I have downloaded the .zip file, extracted it, and double clicked on the .reg file for the Nevo C2.

I receive a message: "error accessing the registry."

What do I now do?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you do not have administrator privileges. Do WindowsKey+R and type "regedit", then go to the key indicated in my post and change EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled to 0. If you aren't comfortable doing this, get a computer savvy friend to help.
ncoig

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncoig wrote:
mdavej wrote:

Xsight/Nevo are the simplest JP1 remotes I've encountered in my 15 years of using JP1 remotes of all kinds. I find the old 1994's and the like much more difficult. All key group mapping is done with checkboxes instead of macros. And there is no need to memorize what button or shifted button does what since all additional functions and macros are clearly labeled on the LCD. I think once you use one, you'll never go back to your old remotes.

I kind of want to shoot you right now. I JUST finished doing upgrades and programming on a half-dozen 6540s... and THEN find this thread for these remotes at half the cost of the $29/ea I spent at BB.

Off to eBay to order some of these. Ugh.

-N

So, I got a couple of these and have been playing around -- other than the oddity that you can't import a custom icon for Activities (why on earth do they do things like that?) and the lack of shifted keys and global macros (as far as I can tell) it's a pretty solid remote, function-wise. There is some functionality that I'd like to see that appears absent, such as button size selection and color in the LCD, but I think what will prevent this from being perfect is the missing global macros and shift-key functions. Time will tell. I'm also anticipating a hungry remote on batteries, and will wait to see the IR performance, as I've not used them in day-to-day use yet.

-N
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the LCD eliminated the need for shifts, which after all were needed to provide more buttons for additional functions. The LCD provides this as well as labels or icons to indicate the function, no memorizing or cheat sheets required.

You can make any macro global by simply assigning it to a button on every device. No need to duplicate the macro, just assign it.

These things do eat batteries, but turning down the brightness, shortening the off delay and using rechargeables helps a lot.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
These things do eat batteries, but turning down the brightness, shortening the off delay and using rechargeables helps a lot.

Also don't leave the USB cable plugged in. :>
stususs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the original poster who has just spent hours and hours and hours programming my newly acquired C2. I have been reasonably successful, but I have the following issue.

I have two DirecTV DVRs (DVR 1 and DVR 2) feeding separate HDMI jacks on my AV receiver. I select the video to be fed to my television by choosing the appropriate HDMI jack which will be the source of my television picture. Selecting HDMI 1 gives me the video from DVR 1 and selecting HDMI 2 gives me the video from DVR 2. I can jump back and forth from HDMI 1/DVR 1 to HDMI 2/DVR 2 with the appropriate button push.

However, if, while watching DVR 1, I choose to pause the video or change channels on DVR 1, I need DVR 1 to be the active device on the remote. On my current 8811 I have two ways of making DVR 1 the active device. First, I can push the device button on the face of the remote which corresponds to DVR 1. The second option is a macro on my 8811 which (1) selects the HDMI output for DVR 1 and then (2) electronically "pushes" the DVR 1 device button making DVR 1 the active device on the remote.

The C2 appears to be worse than the 8811 with respect to both options. If I want to manually make DVR 1 the active device, I have two button pushes, (1) the device button on the C2 and (2) the button for the LCD screen that corresponds with DVR 1. That is one more button push than is currently needed on the 8811.

And, I have found no way to make DVR 1 or DVR 2 the active device via a macro. It appears to me that the only way to make a device active is with the minimum of two physical button pushes.

Am I missing a better way to proceed?

Thank you.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stususs wrote:
....if, while watching DVR 1, I choose to pause the video or change channels on DVR 1, I need DVR 1 to be the active device on the remote...
As you say, it is a limitation that the active device cannot be changed in a macro but perhaps you could get round that with a device or activity to combine the DVRs.

With the active device as DVR 1 and a couple of TV inputs included, a set of macros in the LCD could operate DVR 2 or, if labels are not vital they could go on the number buttons.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way would be to define 2 Activities, one "Watch DVR1", the other "Watch DVR2". Each activity has control of which input to select and which device to control. That way, the only key presses, would be those necessary to choose the desired activity.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch I feel your pain. I bought new furniture and apparently 8811 #3 went to the salvation army in one of the old couches. The new seating arrangement calls for 4 identical remotes! oh what to do! The fact that I had to move 4 paper boxes full of remotes today to get to the bottom of the stack doesnt help the fact that I'm now one 8811 short! I like the 8811! It might sound silly but that was a heck of a nice remote.

Could you imagine complaining about this to non-jp1 people? Lol. They all think I'm nuts.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ncoig

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Ouch I feel your pain. I bought new furniture and apparently 8811 #3 went to the salvation army in one of the old couches. The new seating arrangement calls for 4 identical remotes! oh what to do! The fact that I had to move 4 paper boxes full of remotes today to get to the bottom of the stack doesnt help the fact that I'm now one 8811 short! I like the 8811! It might sound silly but that was a heck of a nice remote.

Could you imagine complaining about this to non-jp1 people? Lol. They all think I'm nuts.

I may have an 8811 still if you are on the hunt.

LMK,

-N
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: