JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Should I upgrade my OFA 8811?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stususs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Should I upgrade my OFA 8811? Reply with quote

For ten years, I have been using the OFA 8811 and the OFA 9910. The 8811 has started to fail, with some keys working only intermittently. I do not consider myself qualified to open up the remote and to repair the device with a soldering iron or with special contact paper. So I ask the following questions.

1. I do not see on the Remote Chart a reasonably priced device with as many features as the 8811. Should I purchase a refurbished 8811 online as a spare in case the original 8811 fails, or is there a different device you would recommend to me?

2. My current JP1 cable connects to a parallel port. I have retained an old desktop with a parallel port for use with that cable. If I decide to use a USB port, do I purchase this cable: http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes.html or do I purchase this cable: http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes-ftdi-chip.html? What is an FTDI chip, and how do I know if I need one?

3. Is it correct that if I stay with a JP1 model like the 8811, but I use the USB port, then I would need one of the above cables plus this device http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-1-1-1-2-1-3-cables/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter.html?

4. I am currently running a 64 bit version of Windows 8.1. Will an upgrade to Windows 10 change anything that I will need?

Thank you.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time to enter the 21st century. I highly recommend the Nevo C2 which is about $17 on ebay. Compared to the 8811 it has:

- 15 devices versus 8
- 72 favorites with logos versus 10 without
- 72 additional buttons per device via the high resolution color LCD
- Doesn't require a JP1 cable of any kind (uses standard USB)
- Incredibly huge amounts of memory

To answer your other questions:

2. I don't recommend any cable from DIYGadget. See this thread for alternatives starting around $8:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16200

3. Yes, if you stay with an older JP1, you need that adapter.

4. I haven't tried my JP1 cables in Win 10 yet, but I haven't heard of any issues.

Another popular remote these days is the OARUSB04G. With Mathdon's new extender, it's 12 device. But you'd have to utilize a lot of shifted keys to match the 8811. Not a big deal, but something to consider. It also comes with its own USB cable, no JP1 cable required.

All of the above work beautifully in Remote Master. I've probably bought over 20 Xsight/Nevo remotes from the vendor above, and only 1 or 2 had an issue which was quickly resolved.
stususs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice.

From what I have been able to read:

1. The C3 is better than the C2, but no longer available at a reasonable price.
2. The C2 is available at a reasonable price only from China.
3. There are long, long message threads devoted to the programming complexity of the device.
4. I would need special drivers since I run Windows 8.

This device is intimidating. Does anyone have a less complex option?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 & 2 are mostly correct. The C3 is RF and rechargeable, neither of which you have today, so no big loss. There may be a few US vendors, but I've had no trouble with the Chinese ones. Keep in mind these were originally over $100 new. $16 is an absolute steal and well worth whatever small perceived risk of buying international.

3. Don't be misled by those threads. These are easier to program than other JP1 remotes. You don't even have to use Remote Master if you don't want to. The long threads deal mainly with reverse engineering the remote and debugging RM support, which is finished now, and with newbs who've never used RM before. Someone with your experience will have no trouble at all.

4. No special drivers, only a simple registry change performed with one click.

Xsight/Nevo are the simplest JP1 remotes I've encountered in my 15 years of using JP1 remotes of all kinds. I find the old 1994's and the like much more difficult. All key group mapping is done with checkboxes instead of macros. And there is no need to memorize what button or shifted button does what since all additional functions and macros are clearly labeled on the LCD. I think once you use one, you'll never go back to your old remotes.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found myself in your spot a couple years ago; I had an 8811 I needed to replace. I did a lot of research here and decided to replace it with an RCRP05B. It's a JP 1.3 remote so you need a new cable, but I've found it to be a very capable remote. Programming it, with the correct cable, was very similar, for me, to programming the 8811.

I had a couple projects over the last year which required that I get a couple of additional remotes, and I decided to explore other options because prices had gone up a bit on the RCRP05B (you can get them now for about $15 on Amazon). I found the Atlas OCAP remotes are widely available on eBay and very cheap. They're also JP 1.3 remotes. The same cable that works with my RCRP05B works for the Atlas remotes I bought.

I don't recommend the Atlas OCAP. I found it to be a bit quirky; in particular, I could never get the extender to work properly for it. I documented some of the issues I had here. I eventually worked around the problems I was having, and I like its design and all the keys it provides, but it was a lot of trouble to get working, for me.

Based on everything I've read here, my next remote will be either the OARUSB04G or the Nevo C2, as recommended by mdavej.

Good luck!
ncoig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:

Xsight/Nevo are the simplest JP1 remotes I've encountered in my 15 years of using JP1 remotes of all kinds. I find the old 1994's and the like much more difficult. All key group mapping is done with checkboxes instead of macros. And there is no need to memorize what button or shifted button does what since all additional functions and macros are clearly labeled on the LCD. I think once you use one, you'll never go back to your old remotes.

I kind of want to shoot you right now. I JUST finished doing upgrades and programming on a half-dozen 6540s... and THEN find this thread for these remotes at half the cost of the $29/ea I spent at BB.

Off to eBay to order some of these. Ugh.

-N
ncoig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:

Based on everything I've read here, my next remote will be either the OARUSB04G or the Nevo C2, as recommended by mdavej.

I can attest that the former is a very good unit. It doesn't quite have the IR oomph of the 1994, 7820 or other units I've used, but is more than adequate. It has gobs of memory, good tactile response, nice weight, auto backlight, and mathdon's extender is out of this world. My only real complaint is that its non-flat bottom makes it unstable when at rest on precarious perches. Only uses 2 AAAs, and has the USB interface with ubiquitous micro-USB already there. For $29 retail, it's a good deal.

-N
ncoig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncoig wrote:
Ed wrote:

I can attest that the former is a very good unit. It doesn't quite have the IR oomph of the 1994, 7820 or other units I've used, but is more than adequate. It has gobs of memory, good tactile response, nice weight, auto backlight, and mathdon's extender is out of this world. My only real complaint is that its non-flat bottom makes it unstable when at rest on precarious perches. Only uses 2 AAAs, and has the USB interface with ubiquitous micro-USB already there. For $29 retail, it's a good deal.

-N

Oh, and I've just found these on Amazon for $19 as well, which BB will price match, I'm sure.

http://www.amazon.com/One-All-OARUSB04G-Universal-Programming/dp/B00HNIHM5S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439345236&sr=8-1&keywords=OARUSB04G

-N
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to find an alternative to the RCRP05B, but the OARUSB04 really doesn't have enough keys and devices for me (I would need TV, cable, BD, audio, WDTV Live.) I'd also need available keys for some functions like tuner SWAP, page up/down, day+/-, and a few other features on the cable box (Motorola DCT6412).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Mathdon's new extender which triples the number of devices to 12 and the number of keys, adding shift and xshift (double shift) to all. Not quite as convenient as more physical keys, but a big improvement nonetheless.
stususs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the original poster. I have just discovered the message thread on DBStalk discussing complexities with the control of two DirecTV DVRs in the same room.

Here is my current setup.

I have two different models of DirecTV HD DVRs in one large room. I need to control those DVRs from two different locations.

Location #1 has line of sight to the DVRs and to other devices. My OFA 8811 controls both DirecTV DVRs without difficulty.

Location #2 does not have line of sight to the DVRs. From location #2 I use the OFA 9910 which does have line of sight to an OFA CCHAB01 IR/RF Command Center. The Command Center has line of sight to the DVRs and to other devices, and I can control both DirecTV DVRs with the OFA 9910 from location #2.

How can I replicate this working setup with either a pair of Nevo C2s, a pair of OARUSB04s or with one of each?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model DVR in location 2? If it's HR2x series, the Nevo C3 will control it via RF, no command center required. Neither the C2 nor the OARUSB04 can control it. All can control the ones in location 1. So see if you can find a C3 or and Xsight Touch.

Worst case, you'll have to get a new RF system like Next Generation or an IR repeater system (cheap on ebay).
stususs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again for your advice. Let me clarify the setup in case I have caused confusion.

Location #1 and Location #2 refer to the locations of the remote controls, not to the location of the DVRs. The two locations are approximately 25 feet apart.

Both DVRs, an HR-20 and an HR-22 are located right on top of each other, connected to two separate television receivers which are a few feet apart from each other in the same room.

Now let me ask a slightly rephrased set of questions than I asked in my last post.

1. If I locate both remotes so that each has line of sight access to the DVRs, can the C2 be configured so that it operates both the HR-20 and HR-22 separately and independently? If so, how?

2. If Location #2 does not have line of sight access to the DVRs, must I have the much more expensive C3 and not a C2 at Location #2?

3. Are the answers to questions 1 and 2 different if we are discussing the OARUSB04 instead of the C2?

Thank you.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the remotes we're talking about are still JP1 remotes that use the same device upgrades you're already using. So setup for 2 DVRs is no different. Just load 2 different code sets like you do today. My DirecTV upgrade in the file section has all 8 possible code sets.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4687

Yes to 2. The C3 is RF like your 9910. The others are not. They'll need help reaching from the other room.

3. No difference. Both are functionally identical to your 8811. I simply find the C2 much easier to program and use.
stususs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You persuaded me. I purchased a C2 from your recommended merchant in China.

While I await the two week delivery, please refer me to the best tutorials for the C2, either text or video.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: