JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Something Has Happened to My RMIR Program
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Something Has Happened to My RMIR Program Reply with quote

It seems like every time I use the profile modifier programs they've quit working since the last use. I last used the RMIR utility in January, when I tried to use it today things have gone wrong.

The shortcut I had for it was this one
When I click it I get a error message saying it can't find the file javaw.exe. So I rummaged around in the RMIR folder. I couldn't find that file but I found an executable called RemoteMaster.jar. It's shortcut icon is this

And, when I run it I get a screen similar to the RMIR screen I used to get but it doesn't have the features I used to get.

I have made no changes to the RMIR directory since the last time I used the program, so what's going on?

NOTE: In 30 minutes I have to leave for the rest of the day. If there are no replies by then I'll check for replies tonight. Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Java probably updated. Run setup.vbs.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That seems to have worked, but once I got past that hurtle I ran into another.

It's been so long since I used it I've misplaced my cable so I ordered this one http://www.diygadget.com/jp1-2-1-3-flash-usb-cable-for-universal-remotes.html

Now I can't get RMIR to recognize my remote. When I click Download from remote. It runs the thermometer across the bottom of the screen for a short while saying Downloading then stops and says, No Remote Found

I've notice when I plug the cable into the USB port Windows give not ding dong and does not seem to recognize the hookup.

When I ordered the cable I requested any special drivers or software needed to make the cable work be included. This request was not acknowledged or addressed.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must download and install the correct driver which is linked at the bottom of the product page in your post. We also need to know the model of your remote to determine if your cable is compatible.

That vendor has never been very responsive and uses an unusual chip with hard to find drivers. I recommend you try to find your old cable again or get an FTDI one from eBay for $8.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the link you supplied, there is (in red) a statement that they have a new version that uses the FTDI chip. Hopefully that is the one you have, because Windows will automatically find and install the right driver and the FTDI chip/driver is quite reliable.

You didn't say which remote you are trying to connect and that might help us come up with ideas.

You can check Remote -> Interface -> in RMIR and see what it is set to. Usually Auto-detect works fine, but if not you may force it to USB JP1.x serial... Possibly, it is set for your previous cable if that was different.

Also, the connecter can be inserted 180 degrees wrong or plugged in but off by one row or column, all of which can cause this error.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>You didn't say which remote you are trying to connect

It's a Comcast remote. Above the connecter is has the number 1003. Inside the battery compartment it has this label

i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I recommend you try to find your old cable again or get an FTDI one from eBay for $8.

Trust me, my wife and I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for the old one. We think it must have somehow gotten in the trash.

As for buying another cable, I'm reluctant to buy another when I just spent $20 on a new one and don't know why it isn't working.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
You can check Remote -> Interface -> in RMIR and see what it is set to. Usually Auto-detect works fine, but if not you may force it to USB JP1.x serial...

It's set to auto-detect

Quote:
Also, the connecter can be inserted 180 degrees wrong or plugged in but off by one row or column, all of which can cause this error.

The number one socket on the connector is marked and is connected to the number one pin on the device.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
get an FTDI one from eBay for $8.

I searched eBay for JP1.2/1.3 Cable ftdi cable. The only one I found was $30
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I use:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261101529602

Unlike the DIY one, it requires no drivers.

Did you try downloading the driver on the product page?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please perform a 983 signature blink back. If it is a JP1.3 remote, the signature will be 3039. If it is a JP2, the signature is 5 digits long and is 25562. If it is a JP2 remote, you need a cable with a FTDI chip. You can use Device Manager and look under Ports (COM and LPT) to see who makes the chip in your DIYgadget cable.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Did you try downloading the driver on the product page?

Yes. There's a lot of documentation that comes with the driver. In the PDF file it shows a screen capture of the Device Manager where, before any drivers are installed, the device shows up in the list. Mine does not. It also indicates Windows will go to the Internet and fetch the drivers. Not for me. As I mentioned earlier when I plug it in I don't get the traditional Windows sound you get when you plug in a USB device of any kind.

Also, there's no change after installing their drivers. The device still does not appear in Device Manager.

It's like it isn't functioning at all.

Here is their screen capture with my red arrow. To repeat, their documentation says the device is supposed to appear like this before installing drivers, and it does not.

i_am_jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Please perform a 983 signature blink back. If it is a JP1.3 remote, the signature will be 3039. If it is a JP2, the signature is 5 digits long and is 25562. If it is a JP2 remote, you need a cable with a FTDI chip.

I wasn't able to get that to work. The procedure didn't mention that after you enter 983 it would flash twice, but mine does. I took the instructions to mean you press 1-4 without resetting the 983 code. Mine would give pause and three flashes which I assume means 3 but but it doesn't do this consistently. Keys two, three and four got a long light immediately the button was pressed and that's it. The first key would sometimes give the immediate long light instead of the pause and three count.

If any of this is meaningful the number would be 3111. As far as giving 5 numbers the test only calls for four buttons.

Quote:
You can use Device Manager and look under Ports (COM and LPT) to see who makes the chip in your DIYgadget cable.

As explained in my previous post, I don't show the cable in Device Manager.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find this in the upgrade (I think that's what you call them) I'm currently using
Quote:
Name=Comcast DVR URC-1067Bx3 JP1.3
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you folks have given up. Could you tell me if you think the device is not working?

The DIY people have not responded to my support ticket.

P.S. the 983 code is working this morning and the remote gives 3039

Last edited by i_am_jim on Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: