JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Learning codes generates errors and keys on wrong devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bt102

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject: Learning codes generates errors and keys on wrong devices Reply with quote

I'm trying to create an upgrade for a Panasonic remote.
I'm following the instructions on this site and using the 975 code on a URC-10820 learning remote.

I first select the TV device on the learning remote so that all programmed keys should be under TV.

I will (for example) try and program keys 0-9 on the learning remote with various keys from the source remote.

So I would expect that when I download from the learning remote, the table would ONLY show keys 0-9 for TV. However, when I download from the learning remote, the table of learned items is filled with garbage. It is mostly from devices OTHER than TV with the comment "malformed signal...". There will be "some" of the 0-9 keys for TV, however, of those, it is a mixture of Panasonic and Kaseikyo protocols.

So two main questions:
1. How is it even possible that the table has all that junk from other devices, when I ONLY selected TV. Even is there is a malformed signal, why is it shoving keys into devices that I NEVER selected?
2. Of the keys that are recognized as TV (and thus maybe read correctly), why are some Panasonic and other Kaseikyo? Shouldn't they all be the same protocol?

I've tried 2 methods when using 975 on the learning remote. I've selected TV once at the start of the programming procedure, and also tried selecting TV for every key that is programmed. But both methods end up with junk in devices that I never selected.

I've also tried different distances between the remotes (0 to 20cm). Made no difference.

Anybody experienced this?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garbage data was probably in the remotes memory before you started, your options are:
1. Ignore it
2. Do a 980 or 981 style reset (be aware that this will remove all of your programming)
3. Delete them from RMIR and re-load.

As for Panasonic and Kaseikyo, Panasonic is a subset of Kaseikyo. If you change the IR Decoder to the other one, does it make a difference (ie, Options > Set IR Decoder) ?

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bt102

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The garbage data was probably in the remotes memory before you started, your options are:
1. Ignore it
2. Do a 980 or 981 style reset (be aware that this will remove all of your programming)
3. Delete them from RMIR and re-load.

As for Panasonic and Kaseikyo, Panasonic is a subset of Kaseikyo. If you change the IR Decoder to the other one, does it make a difference (ie, Options > Set IR Decoder) ?

Thanks.
Actually, I would do the learn, then download the results (with all the junk in the trunk) using RMIR, then erasing the leaned stuff in RMIR, and then upload the (now) cleared setup to the remote. So I would clear-out the remote's memory each time. I would do an immediate download to verify it is clear. Every time I did this learn cycle, it was newly filled with junk. I only had one cycle where it had no junk, the rest had about a dozen garbage entries for one valid key.

It took dozens of tries, each time gleaning a few valid keystrokes, but I ended up getting it done.

It was painful, as I was probably doing it "the hard way". With each download, I would erase all the junk, leaving what I thought was a few valid keystrokes.. I just kept the Panasonic codes and erased everything else including the Kaseikyo codes. With those valid keystrokes, in RMIR you can hit a button that creates an upgrade from those keystrokes. I would then save that upgrade to a file. As each file only has a couple of keystrokes, I ended up with a large number of upgrade files. I was hoping that I could open one of them in RMDU, and somehow cut/paste each key from the other files into just one file, but I couldn't finger-it-out. So ended up just retyping everything from the other files.

Then the sleuthing had to begin.

All the valid Panasonic codes that I had were of type "Panasonic Mix Combo". I noticed that each file not only had the keys that I wanted (under the "functions" tab) but each file had different protocol parameters (dev/sub) in the setup tab. Ughh, it wasn't just a matter of moving over the keys, a had to finger out what this protocol parameter stuff was. So after looking at the files, I fingered out how to make my own dev/sub protocol parameter header info from the keys. I thought I was home free. I get to the last few keys and run into a problem. The protocol header parameters allow 6 dev/sub parameters which matched every key so far, but the last few keys had completely new numbers, and I've already used all 6 dev//sub spaces. Arghhh. In the end (I can't remember how - maybe a guess) I just tried changing the protocol to "Panasonic Combo" which has no protocol parameters. Miracle of Miracles, it worked.

But if you take all the JP1 stuff out of it, and just look at the learning remote alone. Someone would try and teach their remote some codes, and the learning remote would just get filled with trash.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panasonic signals shouldn't be that hard to learn, so I suspect something is wrong here, like weak batteries in either remote, or maybe lots of florescent lights being on when you're trying to learn, something like that.

Did you find that most of the buttons use the Panasonic protocol with a device code 128 and sub-device code 0, with a few buttons using different sub-device codes? If so, this is a pretty standard Panasonic TV codeset, and there are plenty of upgrades in the file section that you could have used, like this one.

If you want me to guess what the garbage data is, you'd have to post one of your RMIR files and I'll take a look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: