JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 - Discrete On/Off codes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPWannabe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 - Discrete On/Off codes? Reply with quote

I have seen this asked before on other forums, but I've never seen any replies (possibly so traumatic they were blocked from my mind Confused ). Anyway, is ToadTog my only resort? I just added the TimeWarner DVR to my equipment, and naturally it would be the one thing I can't find discrete codes for....

I was happy to find the advanced codes for it though... they should come in very handy!

Thanks in advance,
Don
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to see a Scientific Atlanta set top box that has discrete power commands, but that shouldn't stop you from trying. These days I think the JP1 group is finding new discrete commands better than people with Pronto's.

If it uses the Scientific Atlanta protocol, then there are only 6-bits that vary (64 total possibilities). So if you use the "test all codes" method you will probably send each command four times or you could be scientific and create a device upgrade and try OBC's 0 through 63. But learn a command first to get the device and protocol .

I once measured the current consumed by my set top box and it was the same on or off. And 110 mA at that (~$4/year where I live, if I did the math right). So the simple solution is to leave it on and not worry about it. In fact you might key move the power command to something obscure and key move a bogus command, so no one turns it off. I have said, more than a few times, that the little power led's were a giant practical joke on the part of STB designers Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Discrete Codes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: