JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Master power function not working...remote incompatible?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Windmaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Master power function not working...remote incompatible? Reply with quote

First of all, I think my OFA-OARUSB04G remote qualifies as a JP1, but if it doesn't I'm sure someone will tell me promptly.

My remote arrived today, and after quickly running into a wall trying to set it up online via a USB cord (media player did not recognize the audio or video codecs of the file I was instructed to upload first), I called the company's cust svc for assistance.

All went quite well and quickly, or so it seemed, but a short while later the master power function stopped working (turning my Vizio TV and Sony STR-DH720 receiver on and off simultaneously). I called cust svc again and explained the situation so the new rep asked me what happened now when I hit the master power switch. I told him only the TV comes on or goes off. He quickly replied that my remote is not compatible with my receiver and that I would have to buy another remote. I was a bit stymied by the abruptness of his reply and asked him how certain he was that this was the case. He didn't flinch at all and said to buy another remote and that the retailer should be able to tell me which remotes were compatible with my equipment.....end of conversation!

He may be correct, but my instincts seem to tell me otherwise even though I'm a complete novice with universal remotes. Would someone care to chime in here either with a confirmation of this rep's rapid diagnosis or hopefully an alternate assessment?

Thanks for looking, in any case.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarity, I'll point out that mdavej recommended the OARUSB04G in this thread at RC.

Windmaker, the rep is just wrong. Of course the remote will run your Sony. I suggest you start by watching the LEDs when you press Master Power. The LEDs for each device (TV, STB, DVR, Audio) to which you've assigned a setup code should flash once in sequence. I can't check the behavior of the '04G myself until tonight, but please check it after placing the remote in TV mode, and then again in the left hand Combo mode.

Also, check out the version of the manual tranx posted here. It is much superior to that distributed with the remote.
Windmaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
For clarity, I'll point out that mdavej recommended the OARUSB04G in this thread at RC.

Windmaker, the rep is just wrong. Of course the remote will run your Sony. I suggest you start by watching the LEDs when you press Master Power. The LEDs for each device (TV, STB, DVR, Audio) to which you've assigned a setup code should flash once in sequence. I can't check the behavior of the '04G myself until tonight, but please check it after placing the remote in TV mode, and then again in the left hand Combo mode.

Also, check out the version of the manual tranx posted here. It is much superior to that distributed with the remote.

It was certainly welcome news to get your reply....I have no idea what was going on with that rep, but something didn't smell right.

OK... now lets get to my new questions.

1. On the manual posted by Tranx...I clicked on your link and saw the info about the manual, but I couldn't see how to download it...only "start download" for other products.

2. On following your instructions I did not get the sequence of LED lights when pressing the master power button while it was in TV mode. Power button would only work for receiver and ROKU after I clicked on their button.

3. As for checking it again in the "left hand combo mode".... sorry, but I don't know what that means.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download button appears at the bottom left after you log in. Give it another try.

Left hand combo mode means you press the very top left button on the remote before pressing any other buttons. Right hand is for the button on the top right. We use those terms because the buttons only have pictures on them.

When you press either of those two buttons it powers up the devices you specify and maps the other keys as described on page 8. So to have TV and AUDIO turn on together, program for mode 3. Of course the AUDIO device needs to be programmed correctly first, so make sure you get the setup correct per page 3 or search for it per page 4. My educated guess is code 2172.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Written, but not posted, before mdavej made his reply!

I mean the button in the upper left hand corner, which does double duty as the Setup button and also turning on one of the Smart Control functions. The button on the upper right is both a Learning button and a second Smart Control button. Once you've configured the Smart Control buttons, and have put the remote into one of the two Smart Control modes, holding the Master Power button will sequentially send the power signals. If you instead put the remote into one of the 4 single device mode--e.g. TV--the Master Power button will send only the power signal for that device.

Our website requires that you be logged in before it will display the button for Download, Rate, or Email.
Windmaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Not getting email notifications when replies posted. Reply with quote

Despite having the option checked, I am not receiving email notifications that replies have been posted. Anyone know why?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your spam or junk email folder.
Windmaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Let's slow down a bit...remember you've got a novice here. Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

I mean the button in the upper left hand corner, which does double duty as the Setup button and also turning on one of the Smart Control functions. The button on the upper right is both a Learning button and a second Smart Control button. Once you've configured the Smart Control buttons, and have put the remote into one of the two Smart Control modes, holding the Master Power button will sequentially send the power signals. If you instead put the remote into one of the 4 single device mode--e.g. TV--the Master Power button will send only the power signal for that device.

Our website requires that you be logged in before it will display the button for Download, Rate, or Email.

This is precisely what I'm talking about with respect to being a novice and having difficulty following directions....my vocabulary is next to nil and when you mention "smart control button", for instance, I don't yet know what a smart button does, let alone two of them....and I'm as of yet totally unclear on the proper sequences of button pushing to get which desired results. Why, for example, does the master power button turn on my TV and receiver, but not immediately turn them both off if I try?

Having successfully downloaded the recommended manual I need to do some homework with that first before wasting any more unnecessary time for you fellows, so I'll return after doing some reading.....adios for now
Windmaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Spam folder not the problem Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Check your spam or junk email folder.

I check my spam whenever I elect to clean out entries which is at least once a day and usually more often.

I forgot to mention that I did receive one notice from among the few initial replies and I also received notice on your reply just now, so it seems to be a hit and miss affair for some reason.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Not getting email notifications when replies posted. Reply with quote

Windmaker wrote:
Despite having the option checked, I am not receiving email notifications that replies have been posted. Anyone know why?

People with yahoo emails are not able to receive forum mail.
Windmaker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Not getting email notifications when replies posted. Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Windmaker wrote:

People with yahoo emails are not able to receive forum mail.

Just so you'll know Robman, I am receiving email notices again when replies are posted, including your reply, so apparently yahoo mailbox holders can receive forum emails at least sometimes.

forums@hifi-remote.com Today at 12:59 PM
To
Hello,

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Master power function not working...remote incompatible?" at JP1 Remotes. This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=120115#120115

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" found at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16179&unwatch=topic

--
Thanks, The Management
http://www.hifi-remote.com
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Not getting email notifications when replies posted. Reply with quote

Windmaker wrote:
Just so you'll know Robman, I am receiving email notices again when replies are posted, including your reply, so apparently yahoo mailbox holders can receive forum emails at least sometimes.

Good to know, I based my comment on the fact that the vast majority of people who write to me saying they never got their activation email have Yahoo email addresses. I don't use Yahoo myself.
Windmaker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's slow down a bit...remember you've got a novice her Reply with quote

Windmaker wrote:
3FG wrote:

This is precisely what I'm talking about with respect to being a novice and having difficulty following directions....my vocabulary is next to nil and when you mention "smart control button", for instance, I don't yet know what a smart button does, let alone two of them....and I'm as of yet totally unclear on the proper sequences of button pushing to get which desired results. Why, for example, does the master power button turn on my TV and receiver, but not immediately turn them both off if I try?

Having successfully downloaded the recommended manual I need to do some homework with that first before wasting any more unnecessary time for you fellows, so I'll return after doing some reading.....adios for now

After finally getting some time to read the downloaded manual I realized that the step I was missing (to get the master power button to turn both my TV and receiver off/on together) was to tap on the "Setup" button first.

The only other question I have left is whether the codes entered for the device (TV for instance) make any difference on which features the universal remote can also control.

I'm assuming that the universal remote cannot (usually) duplicate all of the functions of the original remote, only some.

If that is true, do the controllable features vary with different codes, or is it that any code that works the power also will operate all the other functions possible?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Remote Master, you can add every possible function for every device, regardless of the setup codes you started with. That's the main reason this site exists and the purpose of most of the files in our file section.

My Vizio TV device upgrade, for example, has about 160 functions, every possible one. It will probably work fine with your TV as well.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12755

Here's a device upgrade that includes every function for your Sony:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11181

But you are correct that built in setup codes usually have limited functions which vary according to the code.
Windmaker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: To mdavej Reply with quote

Wow!....I'm a bit awe struck. I had no idea that universal remotes could be that versatile. It's going to take me a little while to download and peruse your links, but I doubt that I am going to program my remote to do all functions possible on all my devices. But if I ever do change my mind on that matter at least I'll know now where to turn for guidance.

I'll be back for what may be my closing session after doing some more reading......thanks ever so much for your time and assistance thus far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: