JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Something Has Happened to My RMIR Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While changing back to Com4 I noticed this in the Procedures > General tab:

i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY was never able to get their cable to work. I got a refund.

The cable from china just now arrived and it works.

But, now I'm confused by file extensions. The previous upgrade I had for my remote had the extension rmdu. I just downloaded it from my remote and when I save it the extension it uses is rmir. So, should which of these extensions should I be using?

Question2:
My remote, which is failing, is a model 3039. I have a model 2556 which is correctly programed. But the program was created using the IR method not RMIR.

I have another unused 2556 remote. Can I just upload the data from the correctly programed 2556 using RMIR and save it to the unused 2556?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A RMDU file contains an upgrade. Most of us will use several upgrades when programming a JP1 remote. Typically when using RMIR, upgrades are loaded/saved/edited from the Device Upgrade Editor, which is accessed from the Devices tab.

A common workflow is to download from a remote, add or edit upgrades, include keymoves and/or macros, etc. After all of these capabilities have been setup the way you like them, you can save the entire state of the remote, including notes, in a RMIR file. So a RMIR file saves the entire state of a remote, while a RMDU file contains just the info for a single upgrade.

A Comcast remote with signature 3039 is a JP1.3 remote, while a Comcast remote with signature 25562 (you'll see the trailing 2 if you press button "5") is a JP2 remote. JP2 remotes can only be read or written using RMIR-- IR.rexe doesn't know the communication protocol. So you couldn't have programmed a 25562 remote with IR. Anyway, you can use RMIR to read from one 25562 remote, save the RMIR file just in case, and write this same image to another 25562 remote. The key point here is the signatures need to be the same.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The key point here is the signatures need to be the same.

Signatures???
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER MIND I THINK I'VE FIGURED IT OUT

Quote:
Though I know I have put an upgade in this remote when I try to import the data from it I get a can't find RDF error message.

I'm pretty sure this was the RDF file I used before and it's in the target RDF folder.

I changed the extension from RDF to txt so you can see the contents of the file.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the planets aligned and it's done. Once I got a cable that works it only took me 10 minutes to program my extra remote.

Thanks for all your help.

PS You might consider putting a Sticky at the beginning of this section titled something like "Selecting a Cable" or "Which Cable to Get and Where"

In it warn people about the cable I bought because DIY is unable to make it work. Suggest the cable that requires no drivers and explain the options for where they can get one there's some confidence will work. It would have saved me several frustrating hours and my nervous system from nearing the brink.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej

You suggested gluing the pins on the Chinese cable together after getting them in the configuration that works. Were you suggesting gluing them while they're connected to the remote? If so, are there precautions to avoid gluing them to the remote? If not connected to the remote, how do you suggest holding them in place for gluing?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not when connected to the remote, but when connected to something. I have a lot of old computer parts with similar pins and old JP1 remotes that no longer work. So I just connected to that, one pin at a time with a small drop for each. But I first slide a big piece of heat shrink on, so when I'm done it looks good. If you don't have any pins to hold them, you could just stack them flat into the corner of something that's nice and square.

As for DIY, I agree. There are many posts critical of them already in DIY's own marketplace thread. Feel free to create your own thread if you like, and I will make it sticky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: