JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some hand holding required: OARUSB04G

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcortesi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: OARUSB04G: I want to love it, but.... Reply with quote

I'm a newbie here, but I've lurked around here since I bought a Cinema 7 probably 10 years ago. I loved it, but never felt the need to go with the JP1 since i could used advanced codes to get it to do most everything i wanted. Since then I've tried a few other OTA remotes and had a Harmony for a bit, but just didn't see the appeal other than the online setup.
Recently I was reading about the OARUSB04G, and since it came with a USB port and was programmable with the simpleset interface, it sounded great. Plus, it looks simple enough and has back-lighting. I might be able to see it, which is the problem I have with my current Sony remote.
I ordered one from Amazon and did a bunch of reading here. I'm not slow, but I've been a little confused I must admit. I downloaded the RM/RMIR v.2.03 here, got the remote and immediately went to the simpleset web page. What a disappointment! It is simple, but there is little chance of any customization there. I played with the remote and it seems to do the basic things just fine, so I followed the directions for using the RMIR software and tried that.
It said there was an error in downloading from my remote and that I should post my raw data here, blah, blah... The problem is that my battery door is defective, so I'm returning it for a new one. Therefore I don't see the sense in posting that info yet.
So far, that is useless to me but I'm sure it can do some amazing things. I'm just not impressed with I see so far as far as standard features. I can turn on my DVR (Dish 722) and change channels, but I see no control over my recorded programs. I guess you would call them transport keys? Nothing. No play, pause, FF, etc. Why in the world would that not be active through simpleset?
Other things are the general lack of keys, which makes it a much tidier remote I know, but everything seems to be dependent on which mode you're in and it's not intuitive as far as I can tell.
I'm sure I can teach it to open Netflix through my Panasonic TV, but you would think that would be almost a standard operation anymore. The manual is just about useless as far as telling you what buttons do what, also. I've looked around for some general guidelines and I'm not finding much.
Any help and direction is appreciated. My new remote should be here in a couple days and hopefully the JP1 software will want to play nice with it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've used that remote with RMIR a bit, I admit it still baffles me. I think your post here in the Non-JP1 area won't draw much attention to what is clearly a JP1 subject. I recommend you repost your specific questions with a link back to this post for all the background in one of the threads specific to this remote so other users will notice and hopefully help you out.

What I can tell you is that Simpleset is indeed completely worthless. I suspect your transport button issue has to do with what device is currently assigned to it. This can easily be changed in RMIR. I don't remember how to change it on the remote. You can't do much of anything with Simpleset.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, i will try to do that!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the user manual linked in this thread--its much better than the one that comes with the remote or on the SimpleSet site.

The above manual describes how to enter setup codes on page 3. For Dish, the Lookup Tool in conjunction with the OARUSB04G RDF file tells us that STB 0775 and 1505 are Dish setup codes to try. 0775 has the greater number of defined buttons--every button except Audio Input is defined. I tried it, and the transport buttons do work in STB mode. If you want to use the Combi mode (the left Combi button), the default action is to route the transport commands to the STB. If for some reason yours doesn't flash the STB button when in TV Combi mode, the manual tells how to make the transport buttons send commands to the Dish STB. See page 8.

Of course this is easier using RMIR.

For Panasonic TVs, using TV 0650, Netflix is EFC 50983.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manually put in the code for my Dish DVR and now the transport keys work. So one problem solved, thanks.
I'll ship this one back and try the new one out tomorrow or the next day and home it will work with RMIR.
wcortesi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, new remote showed up today and the good news is the battery door is in working order and I was able to get it to download to RMIR. I played around a little and was able to download an upgrade for my TV, but it was for a VT series and mine is an ST. It has the Netflix and Vierra functions though, and I applied them to my remote. Seems to work great except now the power button doesn't work for the TV. Is that because the perhaps the upgrade wasn't for my exact model? The power button doesn't even light up.
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you getting on?
wcortesi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
How are you getting on?
Sorry, didn't see this until now! I've got it working pretty well but need to do some more tweaking. Just haven't got around to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: