JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Programming the OARI06G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrMoody

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Programming the OARI06G Reply with quote

Since I got the Nevo working the way I want, I've been playing with my OARI06G I bought a couple years ago.

Physically it's nice and sleek with a smooth chrome ring around the perimeter stamped with "ONE FOR ALL" and pretty good ergonomics, actually better then the Nevo IMO.

It has 6 devices, 3 "activities" and no LCD somewhat similar to the Harmony 200/350 etc. It's marked URC1130BV0-R in the battery cover.

I say "activities" in quotes because the philosophy seems a little different/inferior to the Xsights. Out of the box, all they really are is 3 pseudo-devices which allow combining groups of keys from different devices (well, device KEYS, an important distinction) in certain predetermined combinations. Pressing the WatchTV key just puts the remote in that device mode, doesn't do anything else. If you need to switch inputs you have to repeatedly press Audio Help or Video Help until correct. The Power button is disabled unless you long press it, then it power toggles some or all devices mapped to that activity; there's a way to exclude devices from this.

In all, the activities feature would be mostly useless and annoying without RMIR, which is probably why it never sold well.

In RMIR, the flexibility allows me to overcome most of this.

Under the activities tab near the top there is a Power Macro. On the Xsights, the macro shown here gets executed when you select an activity, and should more properly be called a Startup Macro IMO. The power macro can be set below where the key groups are.

On this remote, Power Macro is the macro that is triggered by the Power LKP while in that activity. So what to do about setting up your equipment for the activity?

Turns out you can create a macro bound to the activity key, and end it with the activity key itself. This executes the macro and ends up in the correct activity mode, just like using device keys in a macro on the older remotes.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two issues I'd like answers to if there are any.

1) The power key (short press) seems completely disabled while in an activity. Neither key moves nor macros work. Any ideas?

2) My Onkyo receiver uses different navigation functions while listening to internet music from the ones it uses in its setup menus. On my Harmony 700 I can set functions per key per activity. On the Nevo, I can do it by adding an extra device with the navigation buttons bound to the alternate functions, and then set the activity's navigation group to refer to that device. Unfortunately the OARI06G only has 6 devices and no hidden ones, which aren't enough to add an extra one. I can load another upgrade but there's no way to refer to it except in key moves which is no help either because all 6 other devices need their navigation buttons.

And another question: Under Activity there are options for the Help buttons labeled Audio Action and Video Action. The options are "Regular" and "Custom." Choosing Custom doesn't bring up another dialog. What do these do exactly?
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't as fascinating as Legos, but I've wasted some more time playing with this thing and discovered some more about it.

Putting a macro or keymove on the activity buttons works but ends up in the activity mode for that button regardless of any device buttons in the macro. However, putting a macro on a shifted activity button works normally, i.e. ends up in the last device mode. You can't put a macro on the device left/right keys, not even shifted. Shifting them doesn't work at all, they behave the same.

Device left/right don't work in macros either, so you can't use that to get back to a device mode. Activity buttons DO work in a macro, but once you do you will end up in the last activity mode at the end of the macro. There's no way I can find to get out of activity mode in a macro.

In any activity mode, in addition to Power not being mapped, pushing Setup lights the LED for the current activity but does not work otherwise. It will not work as a shift nor for any 9xx codes, sending extended codes, etc. Holding it down doesn't work. You want to do a factory reset, you have to get in a device mode first.

If they aren't defined by keymoves, AudioHelp and VideoHelp send the Input key from the device(s) mapped to them for the current activity. I assume this is what "Regular" means. I still don't know what "Custom" does, it's not worth figuring out when I can just set keymoves/macros on them.

In RMIR, the activity key mapping in the bottom section occurs whether you set a key under Power Macro or not, contrary to what the help text implies. Leaving it blank does not disable the activity. Leaving all the button groups "None" doesn't disable the activity, either, it just leaves you with no working buttons in that activity mode. Slight RMIR bug: Clear Activity appears to remove the power macro key but it comes back if you leave the tab and come back to it. Conversely, it does clear the device mappings but the display doesn't update until you leave and come back.

All of this makes the activity keys more annoying than useful, and you can't even disable them. I'm ending up making pseudo-activities using them shifted.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:
I know this isn't as fascinating as Legos...

Lol. Just FYI, I'm not ignoring you, but I've never programmed a OARI06G so I can't offer any advice.
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Maybe I'll have to learn how to make an extender for it ...
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:
...Device left/right don't work in macros either, so you can't use that to get back to a device mode. Activity buttons DO work in a macro, but once you do you will end up in the last activity mode at the end of the macro. There's no way I can find to get out of activity mode in a macro...
All of this makes the activity keys more annoying than useful, and you can't even disable them. I'm ending up making pseudo-activities using them shifted.
The OAR106G looks like the URC-7960 for uk and with that, along the lines you have mentioned, a useful feature is that if a device-select button is not pressed more than once while it remains lighted, no progress takes place around the loop of devices (like that, they are discrete device buttons). While macros don't run in 'Smart Modes'/activities, we used the TV device as the hub (most macros being on its number buttons) with three other boxes run as activities.

From watching just the TV in device mode, we accessed the three activities with their 'smart mode' buttons, then a single press of one of the device-select buttons for access to the relevant shifted keys and macros, or to go back to the TV device with a macro 'DevTV;InputTv' allocated to e.g. button '16.9' http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13789
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is what I was looking for, a little discussion.

tranx wrote:
The OAR106G looks like the URC-7960 for uk

Yes, basically the same, at least in appearance, along with the (silly) motion control 7962.

One difference I notice is that yours has no power macros: the power button is mapped in the first button group of the activities. This would be one less annoyance.
tranx wrote:
While macros don't run in 'Smart Modes'/activities, we used the TV device as the hub (most macros being on its number buttons)

But this ties up the number buttons unless you're in an activity mode, correct? No device-specific macros on these. Another reason to want an extender.
tranx wrote:
From watching just the TV in device mode, we accessed the three activities with their 'smart mode' buttons, then a single press of one of the device-select buttons for access to the relevant shifted keys and macros

I thought of doing it this way. It's basically the same either way: setup/magic, activity vs activity, DeviceLeft. The difference in the way I did it is I have no key mappings defined in the activities. If you accidentally push an unshifted activity button, it leaves most of the buttons dead. This is by design, as it's more obvious what's wrong than having shifted buttons/macros fail when you want them.

Here's my RMIR file.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody wrote:

tranx wrote:
While macros don't run in 'Smart Modes'/activities, we used the TV device as the hub (most macros being on its number buttons)

But this ties up the number buttons unless you're in an activity mode, correct? No device-specific macros on these. Another reason to want an extender.
Yes, but with a simple setup this did not seem to be a problem and didn't need to use shift much either. If DSMs are needed, perhaps Device modeX buttons could receive keymoves from phantoms or shifted buttons carrying macros such as 'DevTv;power;DevX;etc.'?

7960 looked so nice that we tried it as a change from 7950 'Comfort Line', which was preferred after all. That did not have DSMs either, but I noticed you are able to use a Pause Protocol, which function appears when editing keymoves...We went on to try Insignia67100/Inteset422 - do you happen to know if there is a Pause which works with those or with 7950?
and how to 'copy the pause protocol into RMIR'?
URC6440/OARUSB04G are now the favourites, which do have special extenders including a Pause which works, and it's hard to go back!
MrMoody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:
If DSMs are needed, perhaps Device modeX buttons could receive keymoves from phantoms or shifted buttons carrying macros such as 'DevTv;power;DevX;etc.'?

I doubt that works but I'll have to try it.
tranx wrote:
7960 looked so nice that we tried it as a change from 7950 'Comfort Line', which was preferred after all.

I really like the buttons and overall feel/weight, that's why I've put so much effort into making it usable. The Nevo C2 is far superior capability-wise, but almost twice as heavy, and the buttons are stiff and poorly-shaped. The Play button is a particular peeve.
tranx wrote:
I noticed you are able to use a Pause Protocol, which function appears when editing keymoves...We went on to try Insignia67100/Inteset422 - do you happen to know if there is a Pause which works with those or with 7950?
and how to 'copy the pause protocol into RMIR'?

The "Pause Protocol (Special)" is built into RemoteMaster. Whether it works with a particular remote depends on the processor. All the remotes you listed have the same processor, and it works. I have a couple 67100s myself.

To use it, you just create an upgrade which has it selected as the protocol, and load the upgrade into RMIR. Even easier, you can save out the Pause device upgrade from my .rmir file and then load it into yours for your other remotes. You can add/change functions with different values for different pause intervals.
tranx wrote:
URC6440/OARUSB04G are now the favourites, which do have special extenders including a Pause which works, and it's hard to go back!

I just ordered one of those yesterday for $12. I have doubts it will be sufficient with only 4 device buttons and no separate Skip fwd/back buttons, but I will give it a shot.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fwd/rew buttons are short press skip, long press seek by default. But you can assign any functions you like.

I've probably said this before, but IMO the OARI06G looks a lot better than it functions. I was drawn in by its styling, but ultimately gave it away.

The 6440 is far more functional, despite fewer buttons, and very well put together. It feels like the highest quality UEI remote I've ever used.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrMoody thanks for the info about pause protocol Mr. Green
That OARUSB04G/6440? is a good bargain and the Extender has a lot of tricks so you will certainly have fun with it!

mdavej, yes and the Skip/FastFwd dual-function button is shown as split on RMIR's layout page. It is a bit of a pain but there are more than enough options to compensate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: