JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast X1 with XR5 30 second commercial skip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toms

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Comcast X1 with XR5 30 second commercial skip Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of a Slingbox remote that anyone has posted that will work with the Comcast X1 platform and adds 30 second commercial skip/5 second rewind.

Prior to upgrading to X1 I was using a remote that Alan Richey posted and it worked great. Since upgrading Comcast the default Slingbox XR5 works fine, but the missing 30 second commercial skip is killing me. I've been searching the forums and file downloads and have not been able to find anything.

I have a Motorola RNG150N box with XR5 remote, Comcast X1, and a Slingbox 350.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I built a series of upgrades that tested ALL of the hex values for the remote and found only 3 additional codes:

Discrete On, Discrete off and "Live TV"

I uploaded that upgrade the other day.

The user interface on these boxes sucks, big time. They use "menus" to get to everything. The built in remote has no button to turn the power off, you have to set a timeout (to more than an hour) and wait or go into the menu system and press 14 (yes!) buttons to get the power off. This is absolutely insane.

Fortunately I found the discretes which helped. But I do miss the skip forward from my DirecTV boxes. I'm half tempted to call DTV and tell them to send my stuff back and to tell Comcast to stuff it. (but they are saving me almost $100/month)
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like there is nothing we can do. I guess Comcast have not incorporated a 30-sec skip in this box. Probably because people were using it to skip adverts Very Happy
toms

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box does have the functionality unfortunately I lack the tools and/or skills to translate that into the sling box world. On the XR5 remote if you press exit three times and then put in the code 0030 it will change the page up button to be a 30 second skip and the replay button to be a 5 second skip back button.

Does that help with being able to translate it to a sling box remote? Anything I can do to help figure this out? What tools would I need?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine that changes the page up button to "live TV" and the page down to "skip back" both of which are in the upgrade file in the files section.

Still no skip forward 30 seconds
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Finally, some discrete on/off in a cable box! Thanks

How about a macro for skip that does a ffwd or two, pauses then plays?

Changing the subject a bit, do you think it would be possible to make some sort of extender function that would start at EFC 00000 and increment on each button press? That would make this kind of thing easier.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sling remote sends the identical codes to the real one. So if you do the 0030 trick it should work on that as well.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Cool. Finally, some discrete on/off in a cable box! Thanks

How about a macro for skip that does a ffwd or two, pauses then plays?

Changing the subject a bit, do you think it would be possible to make some sort of extender function that would start at EFC 00000 and increment on each button press? That would make this kind of thing easier.

Good idea, have to try that when I get back from Europe, no time between now and then

Funny you should ask, I was talking to Graham about this a couple of weeks ago that it would be useful to have a function in the device upgrade maker that filled in the "blank" spaces in a device for all possible codes and gave them a name (like OBCxxx ) What I generally do is get a remote that has 8 devices, fill in all of the unused OBC's to all of the buttons and then load multiple devices with all of the buttons into one remote. Then do TV, push all buttons, DVD push all.... and on till I'm done. Time consuming but then you know which button you pushed and can go look up what the OBC was. (oh, and you have to do it sometimes multiple times, like with the unit off to find discrete on and with the unit on to find discrete off)

I'm not sure pushing buttons is going to work since you're going to have to remember how many you pushed and which ones did something.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I had a huge rant with the support folks at Xfinity the other day that their most advanced X1 operating system is in the stone age when it comes to how its remote works.

Until I found an "off" button I was ready to send the stuff back. Not having the ability to turn the box off from the remote is absolutely idiotic. The remote has an "all power " button that they say the reason that they have no power off function is that they need to keep the TV and the cable box in sync. Duh.... that's what happens when you design a TOAD box! At least let the folks who know what the heck they are doing build good systems out of their most advanced box.

We'll see if that goes anywhere.
toms

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
On mine that changes the page up button to "live TV" and the page down to "skip back" both of which are in the upgrade file in the files section.

Still no skip forward 30 seconds

I think we might be trying two different things. It does a 30 second skip for me when playing dvr'd programs. I haven't tried it when playing back paused live TV. Is that when you are getting the live TV function?

Not at home for a few days when I get back I'll see if that is the difference. If it is your upgrade might be what I need to give me 30 second skip on dvr'd shows.
toms

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanrichey wrote:
The Sling remote sends the identical codes to the real one. So if you do the 0030 trick it should work on that as well.

I get the impression that key sequence reprograms the remote itself to send different codes, not changing the box to interpret the same codes differently. Which if I understand the emulated remote correctly won't do anything. I could be wrong though I'll give it a try.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was rewinding on live TV, gotta try it on a DVR show. That would be great if it worked.

The upgrade that I posted has the codes in it for those functions (DON, DOFF, Live) so you should be able to teach your sling from that. (I don't have a sling so have no idea how to make it do things)

I tried every other non-used key value and found nothing else.

Yes, the magic sequence above changes the remote and what codes it sends when those buttons are pushed. There is no way that it could change what the box does when it receives the codes.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if someone can tell me the revised OBC codes sent after the remote is reprogrammed I can do the Sling bit.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are in the upgrade in the cable section. I uploaded it last week

The discree on and off are there as well
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm confused. I thought you said that just added DOn/Doff/Live ? I was talking about the 30 sec skip + and 5 sec skip after you do the 0300 trick.-
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: