JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

rmir on mac os 10.6 failing to load jp12serial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosstalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: rmir on mac os 10.6 failing to load jp12serial Reply with quote

Hello all,

I know this is a solved problem for yosemite (and I need to upgrade) based on the filename, but I noticed a problem in 10.6 as well. I don't think this has to do with the filename. The jp12serial library is failing to load, but copying the file over from an older installation fixes the problem. Maybe the file in the current zip package is corrupt?

Code:
libraryFolder=/Users/admin/Downloads/RemoteMaster/Mac OS X-x86_64
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.6.0_65' from '/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home' running on 'Mac OS X' (x86_64)
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'jp12serial' from '/Users/admin/Downloads/RemoteMaster/Mac OS X-x86_64/libjp12serial.jnilib'...
LibraryLoader: Failed to load 'jp12serial' from '/Users/admin/Downloads/RemoteMaster/Mac OS X-x86_64/libjp12serial.jnilib'
LibraryLoader: Java version '1.6.0_65' from '/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home' running on 'Mac OS X' (x86_64)
LibraryLoader: Attempting to load 'jp12serial' from java library path...
LibraryLoader: Java library path is '.:/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java'
Unable to create JP12Serial object: no jp12serial in java.library.path
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: rmir on mac os 10.6 failing to load jp12serial Reply with quote

crosstalk wrote:
I know this is a solved problem for yosemite (and I need to upgrade) based on the filename, but I noticed a problem in 10.6 as well. I don't think this has to do with the filename. The jp12serial library is failing to load, but copying the file over from an older installation fixes the problem. Maybe the file in the current zip package is corrupt?

The libjp12serial.jnilib file for 64-bit Mac OS X hasn't been changed since June 15, 2014. I'm not sure what version of RMIR introduced that version of jp12serial, but there have been a lot of RMIR development versions since then. How far back did you go to get a jp12serial file that worked? Is it possible that it is your copy that has somehow got corrupted?
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it load DecodeIR? Which version of RMIR are you using?
crosstalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having this problem with RMIR v2.03 alpha 28. libDecodeIR also failed to load, but libhidapi loaded successfully. I downloaded a fresh copy today but it's possible the problem is on my end.

The libjp12serial12 file that worked is 0.19--this one: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=11219

I just downloaded and tested the 0.20 one dated 6/15/2014--it didn't load.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is beginning to look as if there may be a problem with the latest binaries, as jp12serial and DecodeIR were recompiled (for all our supported OS's, including Mac OS X) last year but hidapi was not. No other Mac user has reported a problem, though, so are there different versions of Mac OS X and might it work with some but not with others? (I know nothing about Mac's, so please excuse this simplistic question.)

Are you able to recompile them yourself? The sources are publicly available, jp12serial here and DecodeIR here.
crosstalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a compiler installed (yet), but took a quick look at the mac os makefile. It looks like it includes java 1.7 JDK libraries, which I don't have. I am running apple java 1.6. Oracle has not released java 1.7 for mac os 10.6.8--only 10.7.3 or newer. For some reason, I don't even have the JDK stuff for 1.6 installed or I would try to recompile using that. I guess it's time to upgrade to yosemite and hope it runs as nicely as snow leopard on my old mac.

So the binaries are probably fine--the problem is my old OS.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crosstalk wrote:
I don't have a compiler installed (yet), but took a quick look at the mac os makefile. It looks like it includes java 1.7 JDK libraries, which I don't have.

That would explain it. However, it is a pity. I am keeping RMIR compatible with Java 1.6 and all my testing of it, which is under Windows 8.1 64-bit, is done with Java 1.6. I had hoped the libraries would also remain compatible with Java 1.6 but they are not compiled by me.
crosstalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to install the jdk files to see if I could compile the jp12serial library for 1.6 and ended up messing up my whole java installation. I can't get the java app to run now and the installer removed the java preferences app. I might try messing with this more later to see if I can make some progress on restoring java.
crosstalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a missing jni.h error when trying to compile jp12serial.

I can't seem to get the header files installed for apple java 1.6. I have installed the developer package from developer.apple.com that is supposed to include headers, but /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.frameworks/Headers remains missing.

There is a jni.h file that is installed with xcode, but I have no idea if that will work with java 1.6. Any thoughts? I hate to give up and just install a later oracle java.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Windows 7 installation, jni.h is kept in Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_40\include. That location (Java\jdk\include) has been true from 1.5 through 1.8. I suppose that a Mac would also need a Java Development Kit, and that jni.h will be found in it. jni.h is one of several jni related .h files needed to compile jp12serial.c.
crosstalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a couple different developer packages, but couldn't get the headers to appear anywhere. So I decided to try the headers that are installed with Xcode at the following location:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.10.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Headers

The jp12serial 0.20 source compiled file and loads fine in RMIR with java 1.6. I have no idea whether this is actually built for java 1.6 though--I can't see how it could be but here is the file if someone wants to test it:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13229
crosstalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to close this topic--I discovered that the original problem of not being able to load the jp1serial 0.20 library went away once I upgraded to mac os 10.10 (yosemite). Maybe having a couple versions of java installed helped--not too sure--but it seemed to work even with apple java 1.6. Maybe having the latest Xcode installed helped too?

So the file included in the RemoteMaster distribution works fine with more modern mac os. I couldn't get the included Apple FTDI driver to work with RemoteMaster, but no big deal to install the FTDI VCP driver.

Thanks for the help (and great software!).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: