JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ARRX12G Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qwerky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: ARRX12G Help Reply with quote

Hi. I have a new ARRX12G which I'm just getting around to try to program. It is a new remote, and is completely empty. The ez-rc software is installed, and the remote connects to the computer without problem.

On the ez-rc website, I have created an account, and when I log in, it asks to confirm connection, which I do. It then says to close I.E. so that it can update; and so I close I.E.

On both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 computers, the remote will not update; it gives the error "An error occured updating, please try again later." I have applied the registry fix found on this site, but with no change. This has been going on for a couple days now.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

A search led me to this site, and I have downloaded RemoteMaster -- big thanks to the developers; this looks like an excellent program.

But, is it an alternative to the ez-rc software? If so, could someone point me to a tutorial that will take a complete beginner through setting up a brand-new, empty remote with a few devices?

Since I can't connect to ez-rc, it looks like I will have to do all the devices from scratch. I do have all the original remotes, so is learning every command the way to go?

Thanks for any help
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have to do any learning at all.

Try IE in Compatible mode and see if that helps. May also have to allow java and activex and all of that.

To learn Remote Master, read this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=JP1_-_Just_How_Easy_Is_It%3F_-_RM-IR_Version

I think you can do a lot of the initial device setup on the remote itself. If you post your devices, I can give you some codes to try. Then download and start with that.

Either use codes you find in the Lookup Tool linked at the top of this page or download upgrades from our file section and add them per the tutorial.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I don't think the problem is with I.E., since it asks me to close I.E. to allow the update, and only after closing I.E. (and following a delay), does the error message occur.

Nevertheless, I have worked through the I.E. settings, trying anything seemingly related, with no change. Just don't know how to proceed regarding the ez-rc software/website.

In the Lookup Tool, the ARRX12G doesn't seem to be listed as a target remote?

My equipment is as follows:

TV: Sony KDL-55EX713 *
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V571
BD: Sony BDP-BX510
Media Player: Western Digital WDTV Live Hub

* The Sony TV 713 series may be unique to Future Shop, but it should be similar to some other standard series (720? 700?).

In addition, I've just used an Intel NUC to build an HTPC with Kodi/XBMC on Windows 8.1. I doubt there's a device specifically for this, though suggestions would be welcome.

In the Files/TV section, I found the Sony KDL EX700 Series file, and loaded it into the ARRX12G, but it does not control my TV?

Forgive me for being so dense, but the wiki article you linked seems quite confusing. Remember that I'm a complete beginner to the JP1 world, but I do not understand most of what that article is talking about.

For example, nothing describes to me what a keymove is? Or how to set up a macro? Or what exactly is an upgrade, and when and why would one do that?

Is there something for complete beginners that would actually explain all of this?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we need to forget about EZ-RC then.

Lookup Tool returns all codes no matter what device you pick. So search away, ignoring the remote list.

EX700 upgrade should work fine. So something has gone wrong. Need to upload your file to our Diagnosis area so we can take a look.

If you can enter setup codes on the remote itself, here's what will work for your devices:

TV 0810
AUD 0376 (probably, could be different)
DVD 1516
WDTV (CBL) 2558
PC (CBL) 1272

You're right, we don't have much basic info for the total newb. So I'll do my best. If you have more questions just ask.

Key move / key copy: Anytime you replace a built in function with a different function, that's a key move. For example, you want to assign the eject function of your BD player to the record button in TV mode. Since the 12G has a screen for that kind of thing, you probably won't be doing much of that.

Macro setup: Makes one button do an entire sequence of commands. Go to the Macro tab, click new, assign to a button (or screen) and pick the commands. For example, Amazon on your BD player might be Menu, Right, Right, Down, Down, OK. So just make a macro with those steps and you can launch Amazon with one button.

Upgrade (device upgrade): Adding a new device that's not built into the remote. In the old days if you wanted to do this, you had to mail your remote back to the company and they would "upgrade" it and send it back with the new device added. Today, you make your own per the tutorial or load one of our files like you did for the EX700,

I assume you've made some progress with RMIR since you tried the EX700. Did you download first, add the device, then upload? No errors? Then you picked the device on your remote and tried a few functions?
Qwerky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, Dave.

After connecting the remote with RemoteMaster for the first time, and exploring the menus, I first did a Raw download and saved the file, then did a Download from Remote and saved the file. Unfortunately, I cannot now seem to find those saved files. However, the remote was completely empty.

Later, I uploaded to the remote, the EX700 file that I downloaded from the file section of this site, which uploaded to the remote successfully, but didn't seem to work with the TV (Yes, I tried several functions.).

Then yesterday, I used the remote itself to create two new devices by testing, one for the TV and one for the Receiver. For the TV, the second code tested seemed to work, so I saved that one. Then for the receiver, I tried all 13 codes, and found that codes 2, 3, 6, 12 and 13 each controlled some of the receiver functions, but none were complete; I saved code number 2 in the remote.

So today, I have downloaded from the remote and saved to a file. The remote has (and the download shows) three devices: TV, which is the EX700 file, TV2 which is the TV code 2 from the remote itself, and Audio, which is the Receiver code 2 from the remote itself. I've uploaded the file for your review, to the diagnostics area as ARRX12G Sample Download.

Meanwhile, I will try experimenting with the codes you provided, and try some searching as well.

EDIT:
Is it possible to have some or all of the Favorites, instead of sending a channel change, to send either a single device command (e.g. Receiver Surround Mode), or a group of such commands (macro)?

Can a normal hard button send a second, different code if it is held for a length of time?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorites only do numbers. Just make macros or assign those functions to the screen or other hard buttons.

The answer to your last question is no. You need to make activities or macros for that kind of thing.

I'm working on a new file for you to try.

EDIT: I replaced your posted file with mine. Give it a shot. Not sure whether the Yamaha device will work. If not, I'll need some more help with that.

In any case, file is just a starting point. Rearrange/add functions/buttons on each device/activity as desired.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks so much for your help! The file you provided has been a great help to me in learning the use of Remote Master. The Activities to watch WDTV and watch BD worked well.

Though not unexpected, there are a lot of functions missing from some of the devices, that are available on the original remotes. I thought it would be quicker for me to just learn the original remotes to the ARRX12G, which I have done. I've uploaded the file to the diagnostics area, over the original upload, for your inspection, hoping that you may be able to answer some of my questions. And once I have cleaned it up, I will upload the individual devices, in hopes that they may be of help to others. So, here goes:

1. Does learning use more space than using a device upgrade? I found out that the ARRX12G will only allow 12 devices, so I needed to delete some of the devices you provided in order to make room. (I've still got your original file, so I can reload them at any time.)

2. In the file you provided, some of the devices have more than 12 soft-buttons (on the LCD), but I could only learn 12 LCD functions for each device. How do I get more per device, like yours?

3. Because of 2. above, I have four separate devices for the receiver, and also four devices of extra functions which wouldn't fit on the main devices. How can I edit devices to move functions from one device to another, and in general get the devices cleaned up?

4. In your file, the order of turning devices on was different between activities; one had TV-ON-->RCV-ON-->DEVICE-ON, while another had TV-ON-->DEVICE-ON-->RCV-ON. Was this done for a reason (timing, perhaps?), or is it irrelevant?

5. Related to 4. above, how can I add to those activities to set the receiver input for each one: did I do it correctly in the file I uploaded?

6. It is easy to delete a device on the remote itself, but I couldn't find a way to delete a device in Remote Master; is there a way?

7. On the Activities tab, what are the Button Groups at the bottom?

No doubt I will have more questions; thanks for your assistance.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly everything you learned is already in my original devices. Just drag and drop the functions to the buttons of your choice to use them.

The goal is to not have any learns, but add the codes in the learned tab to your devices. For example, you learned TV Power which is Protocol Sony12, Device 1, OBC 21. If you look at my TV device, you'll see the same exact command power, Sony12, Device 1, OBC 21. Same goes for 95% of the things you learned. So compare mine to yours, and just fill in the few things that are missing. Then you can delete all your learns. As you do your comparison, my function names may be a little different than yours, but what ever codes match (protocol, device, subdevice, OBC) are an exact match to yours. If something is missing, add it on the Functions tab by clicking New and entering the data from your learned command. This is described in greater detail in the How Easy Is It tutorial.

As for device limits, think about what commands you might actually use. I doubt in a million years that you would ever use "RX TAPE". You can put as many functions as you like in your device files without having to actually assign them to any buttons or the screen. They'll always be available should you need them in the future. My AVR has about 300 commands like yours, but I only use about 50 of those, so that's all I've made available on my remote. Make sense? Otherwise, you've got the wrong remote. You need an Xsight Touch with 18 devices and many more pages of functions if you must have direct access to everything at all times.

For your specific questions:

1. Yep, a lot more. Add all those to devices and delete the learns as I said. You can open many files at once to do this.

2. There are 24 soft buttons per device. I've never learned anywhere near as many as you have, so I've never hit the learning limit of apparently 12.

3. There is no practical limit to the number of functions you can have in a single device, only a limit to the soft buttons. So add as many as you want using the codes from the learned tab.

4. Totally unintentional. Just tried to put some examples together as quickly as possible.

5. Looks good to me.

6. Delete devices on the Devices tab.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your patient help, Dave. Agree with what you say. Your example has helped me understand a little bit about the codes. As you suggested, I've worked through the TV codes, and the Receiver codes, and matched them up, as you say.

However, after I finished editing the Receiver, and clicked OK to go back to the main window, there is now a Warning in a red bar at the bottom, saying WARNING: Setup Codes shown in RED are invalid. Names shown in RED have no assigned upgrade.

On the General tab, the BD device name, and its Setup Code, are red, and I cannot edit that device. On the Devices tab, there is no longer a BD device listed, but instead there are TWO AVR devices listed (they appear to be identical)!

From your original file, I saved the BD device, and then in my edited file, on the Devices tab, I created a new device and imported the BD device saved from your file.

Now, on the General tab, I have TWO BD devices (one in red, one in black) which appear to be identical, and I can now edit either one.

But, on the Devices tab, there is only one BD device listed (the new one), and there are still two AVR devices listed. So, how can I delete that old BD device which is red on the other tab?

I have uploaded the file in the diagnostics area, over the old one, for your inspection. [Edit by 3FG-- here's the link to the file.}

EDIT: I think I have found the reason: when I edited the AVR device, I changed some of the codes. I have no idea why this caused the error to appear in the BD device, rather than the AVR device? But in any case, when I changed the codes back, there is no longer an error.

But this is something I wanted to ask you about anyway... when I was matching the learned codes against the setup codes, for the AVR, most of them had a protocol of NEC1, but some of them have a protocol of NEC1-y1. Now in the edit window Functions tab, in the Styles column, the available options are NEC1, NEC2, NECx1, and NECx2; so I had changed the NEC1-y1 codes to NECx1. But, I wanted to ask you about this anyway: why is there no corresponding protocol, and what should I use?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the Protocol Executor from NEC 4DEV Combo to NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo. It will allow you to choose a "Y-Style". If you get a message about the executor being incompatible with your remote, you probably need to download a newer version of RMIR-- just to get an updated version of protocols.ini. We only recently added the Yamaha Combo for MAXQ processors.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This where we need some help. The 12g has no such protocol.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works with my ARRX12G. I went to the Device Upgrade Editor, clicked New, selected NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo, changed the PID to 01 F0 (from 01 1A) and entered in device numbers and then function numbers. I suppose that it should be possible to take an existing upgrade already resident in the remote and change the protocol from NEC 4DEV Combo to NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo. It should then be possible to select NEC or Y1 in the Ystyle column.
Qwerky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, you guys are really experts at this! Thanks for taking the time to help out.

All the codes that I tested, that were learned into the 12G, worked okay, including those that show in RM as NEC1-y1. But, when I loaded Dave's file, and tested those same commands, they didn't work, even though the Device/Sub and OBC were identical; the difference was the protocol being NEC1 in his file.

So, following 3FG's advice, I edited Dave's file to be NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo and added 01 F0 in the Alternate PID field, and then changed those commands to Y1, uploaded the file to the 12G, and tested. Sure enough, they then worked fine. How did you determine that 01 F0 was the correct PID?

Still don't know why the red error was being shown for a completely different device; possibly a small bug in the software. I never was able to fix that file, but it's okay, because I was able to save the two devices that I had edited from that file, and import them into a new file. Now I have those two devices completed, and need only to do the other devices.

This explains why, in my original testing of Dave's file, many of the codes didn't work. But I'm glad I spent the time to learn all the codes, because comparing them to Dave's file, as he suggested, has helped me to learn some things about the software and the protocol, so it's been a great learning experience (pardon the pun)!

Any further input is, of course, greatly welcome.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it working. I'm actually not surprised my NEC1 file didn't work. I knew the protocol might be a problem. I couldn't find the Yamaha one in my version when I made the example file for you.

The red is just a warning that none of your devices or built in codes has a code that matches whatever is in that box. Doesn't do any harm, just may not work.

Do post your file when you're all done and maybe we can make some more suggestions.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to explain about PIDs. UEI use PIDs for identifying the protocol executors which have been built in to any particular remote. There isn't any instrinsic information in the PID, and they could have chosen any number. However, quite reasonably, they tend to use the same PID for a given executor across all remotes. Sometimes (rarely) an executor is replaced by one which shoots a completely different IR protocol. Sometimes an executor is improved or extended in capability but retains the same PID. We handle this by including variant information in the RDF file, but that info isn't present in the remote. This all works well for UEI, but can create a problem for the JP1 community. We write our own executors and have to provide a PID because the remote's firmware depends upon it. So we try to use a PID which isn't currently used by UEI in any of the JP1 class remotes, but as UEi increases the number of executors, a PID previously chosen for JP1 may be taken by UEI. Then when we download from a remote, our software doesn't know which executor is meant.

The NEC 4DEV Combo executor uses PID 011A. We've chosen to call the Yamaha Combo executor 011A also. This only causes a problem if a user wishes to have both the NEC 4DEV Combo and the NEC 4DEV Yamaha Combo resident in the remote. They can't both be called 011A. In your case, even though you probably won't end up using both, I felt it would be less likely to confuse RMIR if we changed the Yamaha PID to some other PID, since you'd be starting with one variant of 011A and changing to the other. I chose 01F0 because I don't think it is in use.

So it isn't the "correct" PID; it's just one I chose. It could be any other number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: