JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help with pause using common extender 3.02
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Not sure what's going on with Pause. If you still have a problem, I can post a file you can try.

The Discrete on / off toadtogs in your original files look fine as is. I've never needed any kind of sync like your have on Pip+/-. If it ever gets out of sync, just press TV Power and it will be back in sync without having to reset anything.

I'm not sure he can toggle power the way you say, which is how I do it most of the time. The reason is, me thinks, his Power macro turns everything off via discretes as well.

Pause-extender's pause might have different durations than the old pause protocol.

mdavej, thanks for coming here. You're needed. And I now bail out.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure he can toggle power the way you say, which is how I do it most of the time. The reason is, me thinks, his Power macro turns everything off via discretes as well.

That's right. I would have to send shift-power.

Quote:
mdavej, thanks for coming here. You're needed. And I now bail out.

Thanks for helping, Liz. Hope to see you again! I see that someone else has had problems with pause on an extender install here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15876&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=120 Maybe they're related? I look forward to hearing back from mdavej.

Ed
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
I see that someone else has had problems with pause on an extender install here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15876&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=120 Maybe they're related? I look forward to hearing back from mdavej.

Ed
I'm starting to think the same thing. I just replaced your file with my version. I did the same fix to yours as a did on the one in that thread. But this time I have no Atlas handy to test, so I'm not sure if it works.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heck!

No joy with the Atlas, mdavej. I tried it with the file exactly as you left it, then I rearranged the pauses so they came directly after a signal per Liz's earlier feedback. Again, pauses didn't work. Then I decided to use Phantom7 instead of buttonF1 for the LKP function. No difference. Pause does not work.

For reference, I've used the same basic macro and special functions structure on my RCRP05B to control my living room components and it works just fine using its extender v1.05 (not the common extender). I happen to have an extra RCRP05B lying around. If you think it would be helpful to apply common extender 3.02 to it and "copy" this file over to the RCA and see what happens, let me know.

Thanks for helping.

Ed
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed wrote:
Well, heck!

No joy with the Atlas, mdavej. I tried it with the file exactly as you left it, then I rearranged the pauses so they came directly after a signal per Liz's earlier feedback. Again, pauses didn't work. Then I decided to use Phantom7 instead of buttonF1 for the LKP function. No difference. Pause does not work.

For reference, I've used the same basic macro and special functions structure on my RCRP05B to control my living room components and it works just fine using its extender v1.05 (not the common extender). I happen to have an extra RCRP05B lying around. If you think it would be helpful to apply common extender 3.02 to it and "copy" this file over to the RCA and see what happens, let me know.

Thanks for helping.

Ed
Sounds like a bug then. I copied the pause protocol from an RCA 1.05 extender image, but that apparently didn't work. I remember using pause for years on my old Atlases, so I don't know what's changed. Maybe try IR.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, mdavej,

Well, the short version is I could not get pause to work using IR, either.

Here are some details of what I did.

First, I deactivated extender 3.02 on remote. Next, I uploaded the "base image to the remote using RMIR followed by downloading that base image to IR 8.04. Then I selected "merge with extinstall" in IR. (I used extinstall V2.1), and saved the file.

I added my three pertinent device upgrades as follows: I opened each of my upgrades in RM, then copied device upgrade code from output tab in RMIR. I selected "add" device in IR and pasted into device upgrade area in IR.

I manually "copied"; i.e., typed, macros and special functions from an existing RMIR file.

Once I completed the above, I made the some observations:

Keymoves don't match up between IR and RMIR. There is one fewer keymove in IR than RMIR and some details seem different to my non-expert eye.

I examined the buttons tab of RMIR and compared it to data in the devices tab in IR for my devices. There are discrepancies in key names that I don't understand.

After uploading to the remote and saving the .ir file, I tried to re-open IR file again. IR generated the following error: "There is a conflict at fixed data address $0015. Do you want to replace the existing data with the fixed data?" I selected yes and re-saved the IR file to another name and loaded it into ir. This had no effect on pause; i.e., with or without the fixed data conflict, I have no pause.

When you had pause working on your Atlas, were you using the OCAP version of the Atlas? Which extender did you use? Did you use IR or RMIR? Anything else I need to know to replicate your success with pause?

Thanks again for your help. I can post RMIR and IR versions of the same "image", if that would be helpful. Anything else you can think of that I might try?

Ed
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it worked on my OCAP, probably 5 years ago. So whatever was current at that time, and probably using IR. I don't think I've saved any of my remote files from that far back, unfortunately.

You may want to check with Vickyg2003 as she uses Atlas and the extender a lot and probably has a more current file that would work for you as a base line.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,
Your button names and numbers are likely to differ between the extenders, but if Hex match, you should be ok.
Using correct RDF file? Does IR support 3.02 extender? Correct path to RDF in both IR and RMIR?
Re: "one fewer keymoves." - check if that keymove got placed in Special Functions where you're likely to see one more than before.

Have you tried your exact setup in 2.11 extender?
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

I'll check with vickyg2003 if she stops by. I seem to recall in my lurking that she's a fan of the Atlas remotes and probably has some insight.

Liz,

I'm using the same extender (and hence same RDF) with RMIR and IR, so the button names ought to be the same, right? That's what's got me confused. A couple examples: buttonF1 does not appear when I work with IR, but it's there in RMIR. Another example. In RM, I associated the function code for a discrete on for my dish receiver with the "DiscreteOn" key. When I look at the key moves in IR, this function code is associated with the key XSHIFT-key0, which doesn't appear in RMIR.

I checked, and IR is pointed to the same directory of RDF files RMIR is pointed to. The correct RDF is in that directory. The extender documentation mentions specifically IR in the installation instructions, so I assume IR supports it.

I tried to set this same thing up in the 2.11 extender and got some very strange results with LKP, but pause worked (see a few posts back in this thread).

This whole adventure started when I first tried to install 3.02 and it failed. I documented that failure in another thread. It took me awhile, and several installation failures, to figure out what was going on. It turned out there was a formatting error in the RDF that was prohibiting the extender from installing. I'm now wondering if something in the remote got corrupted by my repeated failures and if I should do a factory reset on the remote, reinstall the base image, and start from scratch.

The other path I'm about to try is to start from scratch with the RCRP05B and see if that works.

I'm not sure which approach makes more sense and would appreciate any guidance.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did a factory reset on the Atlas followed by a "clean" install of extender 3.02; i.e., an install with no errors -- at least none that were noted. I then installed my three device upgrades followed by my macro and special functions logic. No joy.

To make absolutely certain pause was not working, I placed a global macro on the DVD key that did nothing but fire commands at the TV, each followed by 3-second pauses with no nesting or special functions involved. A press of the DVD key produced no pauses, but, if I long-pressed the DVD key, the pauses worked until I released the key, at which point they were skipped. This is the same result I posted earlier. It seems like pause is interrupted unless a key is pressed, exactly opposite to how the interruptable pause is documented to work.

From this I conclude that pause does not work with common extender 3.02 and the Atlas OCAP.

My next step is to repeat my try at using extender 2.11 with the Atlas. My previous results were unsuccessful due to problems getting LKP to work. I may have been bleary-eyed when I did this since others have gotten the Atlas to work, so I want to try it again just to be sure.

I like this Atlas remote. Too bad I can't make it work <smiles>.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update to advise those following along that after a factory reset and a clean installation of extender 2.11, everything works, including pause. I'm not sure what I did wrong earlier with extender 2.11, perhaps I was just careless.

I appreciate Liz and mdavej's support.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: