JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm not sure where to ask this.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: I'm not sure where to ask this. Reply with quote

I'm not even sure *how* to ask this...

I have a vintage MX-500 remote which I'm still very partial to.

I have a Fire TV which I bought a Flirc for, so I could control it with the MX-500.

I have a Radio Shack Kameleon 6-in-1.

The MX-500 has no trouble sending commands to the Fire TV. Maybe it does it too well. My Mrs. has motor control difficulties, and sometimes many multiple commands get sent by the remote. It's very frustrating for her.

The Flirc has an "inter-key delay" setting of 0-6 which doesn't seem to have much effect, except maybe to make the situation worse.

Harmony remotes have several different adjustable delays, and I had a 650 temporarily, but I returned it. Just didn't like it.

So here's the question...

Are there any suggestions on how I can program the Kameleon, so I can use it to teach the MX-500, in an attempt to induce some delay?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sweller, I'm not sure which model of the kameleon you have. Many of them are wav upgradeable. That is you can create a WAV file and play it over the speakers, and get it to do all the extender tricks.

Quote:
My Mrs. has motor control difficulties, and sometimes many multiple commands get sent by the remote. It's very frustrating for her.

When you advance to Expert status in the JP1 world there are all sorts of things that can be done to tame a remote for people who are severely challenged with small motor control. I know several enthusiasts entered the JP1 arena to make remotes more usable for people with these problems.

What model remote kameleon do you have?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
sweller

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Hi, Vicky.

I have the 15-2133. I think it's the only one on the planet that rivals the IR output of the MX-500.

I've used it in the past to teach the MX discrete on/off codes for the TV, etc..
So I have fundamental idea of what I have to do. I'm just unsure of the approach to take.

Please pardon my ignorance, what exactly does it mean to "advance to Expert status"?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweller wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Hi, Vicky.

I have the 15-2133. I think it's the only one on the planet that rivals the IR output of the MX-500.

I've used it in the past to teach the MX discrete on/off codes for the TV, etc..
So I have fundamental idea of what I have to do. I'm just unsure of the approach to take.

Well I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

Quote:

Please pardon my ignorance, what exactly does it mean to "advance to Expert status"?

In this case I mean knowing how to modify a protocol, use and or write and extender. The first time I helped someone with poor motor control, they were unable to use the arrow keys to do selection. They needed the keys to repeat, but also needed to slow down the repeating process, so what we did was make the key send one frame of the ir signal, and then if the key was still held down 1/2 a second later start the rapid repeating. Of course something like that can't be taught to another remote.
Also we have macros, and all sorts of tools in our extender series. As an extender writer I can even increase the debounce time, so that a rapid press can be totally ignored. It all depends on what my needs are.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand this correctly, you want to continue using the MX-500, but find a way to make it provide a delay between recognizing individual button presses. The approach of teaching from the 15-2133 to the MX-500 implies teaching an IR signal. Of course an ordinary delay has no IR signal, so that isn't teachable.
One way would be to teach the MX-500 an IR signal which lasts for the intended delay time, but a signal which none of your equipment responds to. Then you could implement a macro for each of the commonly used MX-500 buttons, so that the original button signal is sent, followed by the non-recognizable signal.
I'm not familiar with the MX-500, so I don't know if this approach is feasible.
sweller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.
LOL! Neither am I.

3FG may have helped me realize that what I'm trying to do with the MX may not be practical or even possible.

I understand that I can *probably* get the Kameleon to do anything and everything I'd want it to. And I'm confident I can teach the MX what I've programmed the Kameleon to do. Where the problem lies in how the MX will interpret what it learns from the Kameleon (and other remotes that I've tried). As simply as I can put it:

I can tell the Kamelon to send a LONG UP ARROW or a SHORT UP ARROW. But when I go to teach the MX, it won't see any difference. An up arrow will just be an up arrow. I'll do some more testing, but I think it's already demonstrated that.

Or it could be the Flirc. So many variables...
tranx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
....One way would be to teach the MX-500 an IR signal which lasts for the intended delay time, but a signal which none of your equipment responds to. Then you could implement a macro for each of the commonly used MX-500 buttons, so that the original button signal is sent, followed by the non-recognizable signal....
A link to the MX-500 manual: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/68740/Home-Theater-Direct-Mx-500.html?page=14#manual
In particular, in 'Section 5', 'Tip', half way down P25, describes FAV macros, which may be a convenient way of providing easy access commands of the type which 3FG has suggested...
sweller

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:

In particular, 'Tip' half way down P25 describes FAV macros, which may be a convenient way of providing easy access commands of the type which 3FG suggested...
AHA! (Don't you just love Eureka moments! Very Happy )
As many times as I've read that, it never occurred to me that I might be able to put a PAUSE behind, well... anything!

Thank you!
tranx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you may not so much need to simulate 'pause' but just to avoid sending repeats of the first command, which is I think what 3FG's solution would do
sweller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back. But because I couldn't resist, I bought an RCA RCRP05BR so I'm starting a new thread for assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: