JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HovisDirect.com - JP1 cables and accessories
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kommareddi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Just FYI, if you happen to have a remote that has an internal modem (like the URC-8910) and you're waiting for your cable to arrive, you can still load your upgrades, etc into the remote by converting them to a WAV file and using the remote's modem.

Aah, I did not know that! Thanks, Rob.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scpanj wrote:
When I first looked at this topic, I only see two posts, and now there are lots of them. Does anyone know why? if I saw so many problems/complains, I will not order from him.

Also i think this topic should not be sticky anymore. As the new user of this forum, I trust the sticky post and think that is reliable seller.

Thanks.

-- weiping
Look, I am not a friend of, nor have I ever met Richard Hovis, nor do I know anything about his personal situation, BUT ...

I would challenge you to find a SINGLE PERSON here who has been ripped off by him. If you search the various forums here, you will find plenty of posts about SLOW receipt of items from him, but to my knowledge, they had ALL been ultimately received.

I think you need to understand that this JP1 stuff is not ANYBODY's primary source of income, and the few who sell stuff do it as "hobbyists" more so than as "retailers". The same applies to the software tools you get here. They are supported by NO FUNDING SOURCE whatsoever, yet I submit that reaction to "bug reports" is as good as that of any Corel, Microsoft, or other mainstream software producer. If you approach it in this spirit, you will be less frustrated.

Now everybody is free to choose from whom they buy stuff, and how important it is to them for speed of delivery, and I agree that for you, perhaps Hovis is not the right vendor to use, but I respectfully suggest that since there is not an excess of vendors in the JP1 enthusiast marketplace, "banning" one of them doesn't help the hobby.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scpanj wrote:
When I first looked at this topic, I only see two posts, and now there are lots of them. Does anyone know why? if I saw so many problems/complains, I will not order from him.

Also i think this topic should not be sticky anymore. As the new user of this forum, I trust the sticky post and think that is reliable seller.

Thanks.

-- weiping

I merged various other threads into this one thread. When people see a "sticky" thread, I think it's reasonable to expect them to not only see that it exists but to also click on it and read some of it. Therefore, even a new user can make an informed decision as to which vendor they decide to buy their new cable from.

While it's true that Richard Hovis is by far the slowest to deliver his cables, he's never ripped anyone off and he's been here since the beginning.
scpanj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I totally understand what you are talking about. The problem is (I don't know why) when I first looked this thread before I order the cable (even when I posted my question yesterday), I only saw first two posts of this thread (not 4-page posts I saw today). Otherwise I will definitely read through them all.

[Update] did you just merge these threads yesterday?

Capn Trips,

Thanks for the info and I am relieved. I agree that $14 for one JP1 cable will not make anyone rich, and the people on JP1 really try to help each other.

I have made my own cable last year, and it broke when I tried to program my new DVD couple weeks ago. Unfortunately during that process I also cleared the remote memory, and now I have to use 4 different remotes to control my system (I have hacked version of my receiver and replaytv). I think most of people on this forum can understand my frustration when you have to go back to use multiple remotes after finding this wonderfuly JP1 function. That is why speed of delivery is very important for me.

Thanks for the help...

-- weiping
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scpanj wrote:
did you just merge these threads yesterday?

yes
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips said
Quote:
The same applies to the software tools you get here. They are supported by NO FUNDING SOURCE whatsoever, yet I submit that reaction to "bug reports" is as good as that of any Corel, Microsoft, or other mainstream software producer.
I consider this an insult to JP1. Laughing If any of those company's support ever come close to JP1, I will be stunned.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pH7_jp1 wrote:
If any of those company's support ever come close to JP1, I will be stunned.
I stand corrected. Wink

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
scpanj

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like everyone said, I received the cable yesterday and everything works fine. Thanks
blahblah02

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a cable from Hovis on the 19th of March and have not seen it as of yet. Any idea how long it takes to get one? I wish i would have paid the few bucks more and got it by now from the other seller.
jimmie34

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: i ordered a jp1 cable Reply with quote

from hovis direct on the 30th of march(got a comfirmation number) and i still have not heard or recievedany thing from them. my question is has any1 else ordered from them and recieved it,how long does it take, i also emailed slickrick? 2 times now no response. thankyou

jimmie
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes this is very common with Hovis.
ppasteur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had seen this thread before I ordered from Mr. Hovis.

I ordered a USB cable form him in late March. I did so because his business was linked from HiFi-remote.com, and because he advertised the best prices anywhere. Soon after I ordered I noticed that Rob was selling the same cable for about 30% less. My mistake I guess. After a bout 8 days had passed and I had heard nothing about my order, I sent hovisdirect an email message asking about the status. No response. A couple of days later, I sent another. No response. No, keep in mind, I paid this guy upfront, he collected his money immediately. There is no disclaimer on his website about waiting in excess of two to three weeks for shipment. Nor is there anything saying that he simply does not respond to email.

Anyway, after a couple of more days I sent some more email. Of course, no replies. I finally asked Paypal to get me a refund, as Hovis had been totally unresponsive and I had not received the product that I had paid for.

Well a few more days passed, now close to three weeks, and the cable shows up. Another two days and I hear from Hovis. A one line email, no explanation, no apology... "I show that you received the cable. Please withdraw your complaint with Paypal.

I have seen already that there are those here that seem to be able to justify this kind of behavior. That is fine, but I cannot. This is ZERO customer service and ZERO concern for people that have paid money in good faith for a product.

If anyone is looking for JP1 products that they will get in a timely fashion, if they want to be treated as valued customers, if they want communication about their order, avoid this guy at all costs!!

Phil P.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right! Evil or Very Mad

Why I bet Richard sits at home all day, waiting for the poor unsuspecting JP1 novice (read "sucker") Surprised to send him his $45.00 (+S&H). After he gets this windfall (I'd imagine he gets at LEAST 2 or three of these orders a month), he gleefully Twisted Evil invests the money while selfishly continuing working at his REAL full-time job, calculatingly NOT getting the parts, NOT building the cable and mailing it off instantaneously. By the time he ships the cable - possibly as much as three or four weeks later, that $45.00 (+S&H) has ballooned into at least $46.40 Surprised

How DARE he not stop his life to answer every order that trickles in via his website immediately! Evil or Very Mad

You know, if I were you, I'd teach him a lesson by not buying any more from him, and building your OWN cables from now on! Rolling Eyes

Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I agree with Phil. I have been very disappointed to see posts like this continually appearing. I understand that Richard gets overwhelmed, but it should still be common courtesy to either ship your product as soon as it's ordered or at least send an email explaining that there will be a delay.

At least, that's how I like to operate.
ppasteur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the Capn is of the opinion that lousy customer service is just fine. It seems that he hangs out on this thread to jump in and tell all of the unhappy Hovis customers that the lack of communications, the delays, the unresponsiveness of Richard until he is threatened by Paypal, is just fine.

Regardless of the obvious rationalization going on here, there is simply no excuse for anyone running any kind of a business the way Richard apparently runs his. If one does not have the time to respond to inquiries in a timely fashion, if the profit on the products does not warrant the time it takes to do it properly, then one probably should not make the appearance of running a business at all.

At the very least he should modify his web site to say that there will likely be a four week lead time, and he will not respond to email status requests. Of course, people would then go elsewhere. He must have some motivation for misleading people.

Just as an aside, I ordered some items from Rob, they were delivered within about one week. I am sure that he has a life as well. He simply seems to take some pride in providing good service. Quite a contrast here!

Oh and Capn, the original JP1 cable that I have been using for a few years now was HOMEMADE. If I need another cable down the road, I will either build it myself or order it from someone besides Richard.

Now if you might explain how it is that each time (and there have been a large number in this thread) a person writes about having been mistreated by Richard, you seem to have the time to jump in and try to turn it around, and attempt to portray the wronged paying customer, as being the bad guy?

Very curious!

Phil P.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: