JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this a JP-1 interface?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanderson10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Is this a JP-1 interface? Reply with quote

So I have a little experience programming an old Radio Shack remote using the standard looking JP-1 6 pin adapter. I purchased a SD modulator/universal remote system (BOCS Xtender) a few years ago and would like to continue to use the very robust 2-way IR/RF remote control system as a whole home universal remote system.

Problem is trying to learn some XMP Xfinity IR codes. And the company went under. So I pop the back off and see this flat, eight pin interface.

(So I am having a hard time getting images to post but I have a picture if someone wants to see one http://imgur.com/a/5CcS3 )

So I am just curious if anyone recognizes this, is it JP-1 and can I use it?

Thanks so much[url][/url]
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that XMP is a bear of a protocol. Most remotes can't learn it. That's one of the reasons JP1 is so important. I haven't heard of flat 8 pin Jp1 connection, but I'm kind of out of the new stuff.

Does the remote act like a UEI remote, that is does it do keymoves and macros?

Another option for a RF remote, is to drop one of those magical battery RF things in a JP1 remote. There was a big buzz about those a few years back, but I don't have a clue on how they do sending an XMP signal.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout may be the following
BOCS JTAG/RS232 Header 1x8
J6
1 RSTn_SBWTDIO
2 TEST_SBWTCK
3 IR_ENn (tie to pin7 to enable UART. connects to OE pin of buffer chip to Enable Output for IR_TXD,IR_RXD lines on chip.)
4 UART_RXD (to P0.6 IR_TXD. P0.6 connects to TX on PC/Slingbox)
5 UART_TXD (to P1.5 IR_RXD. P1.5 connects to RX on PC/Slingbox)
6 IRB (IR LED Button pressed)
7 VCCJTAG +3.3v (resistor 10 0603)
8 GND

A Thread on BOCS http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11813

Last edited by binky123 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
jmanderson10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So first thanks, thanks, thanks. I have been looking everywhere for information and had not seen that thread. It's similar to a thread posted at avsforums.

So I guess my question is where do I go from here? All of the info linked in the post is gone so I am starting from scratch. Does this mean making my own cables and programming from the ground up? I love this stuff but that might be over my head.

Again thank you. Seriously I have been going nuts between this and trying to learn IR/hex coding decoding to get a way to use this system. Thanks.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of our software can use this 8-pin connector to talk to the chip. You may want to see if any other current BOCS users downloaded the BOCS1450base.zip file as that one would have the communication software to upload new Upgrade bins. The chip is a "JB" Blaster chip that is similar to what is used in the Slingbox/Monsoon machines.

Are there any instructions on uploading new IR codes in the BOCS documentation? If not, a serial 3.3v TTL cable RX,TX,GND 9600 baud and programming software will be needed.

Perhaps try to search for other users or reach out to David Feller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: