JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote to replace URC 8910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDE12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Remote to replace URC 8910 Reply with quote

I have a fading URC 8910 that I loved and would like some suggestions for replacing it. I can't believe OFA doesn't currently make something very similar. The features I am looking for are: JP1 ready, backlight, minimum of 5 devices, macros, and shift key. I can live without a backlight if the remote has the other features. I know there have been "developments" in JP1 and the cable I have might be outdated. That is okay so long as the new remote uses a cable that is easily purchased and software (like IR and Remote Master) is readily available. If anyone is using or is aware of a remote with these features, I would greatly appreciate recommendations.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need an lcd I would suggest URC6440 which already has most of those features as well as DSMs with JP1 out of the box, except for 5 devices, yet.

Shift is provided by the newly available very-easy-to-install-and-use extender and even 8 devices are keenly anticipated by me http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15638&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=45 .

Another key feature is that JP1 works with the supplied micro USB lead. 6440 is an EU model but has been available locally, at least on Amazon.com. The similar US model is OARUSB04G, which is subtly different and has not had so much development with JP1.
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my 8910 with the RCA RCRP05B. No backlight. 5 device keys (the only lit keys), but supports 8 internally. Has an extender, although the syntax is a bit different. It's JP1.3, so will need an updated cable.

The 8910 needed 4 AAA batteries every 6 months or so. The RCA is 2.5 years with it's 2 AA batteries, and still going.

I have a Comcast/Motorola cable box, and the RCA is pre-programmed for that out-of-the-box. It even has an OnDemand key! I use upgrades for my Sony BD, a WDTV Live, Sony TV, and Onkyo receiver. Even though most have built-in codes, I use the upgrades to map some oddball keys the way they were on the 8910.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might like the Atlas 1056B01 or similar. I got a couple of Time-Warner branded ones off eBay for a reasonable price. Backlit, 5 devices, JP1.3, extender available for DSM, LKP etc. The extender also allows you to switch on and off the backlight. Lots of buttons. You'd need a JP1.x cable but they're not that expensive (search forum for FTDI cable - some basic clipping and shifting of wires is all that's required).
DDE12

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will try the Atlas 1056 and see how that one works out. I found some new ones on Ebay for about $11. Thank you for the suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: