JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

device combiner for URC6440/OARUSB04 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't ready for release yet, but as of 5 minutes ago I have a functioning Shift button on my URC-6440. A short press of List acts as a shift key. Hold List for more than 1 second and it acts as standard List and sends the appropriate IR signal. It is a standard UEI Shift key in all respects. Shifting a Digit key needs two presses, a single press enables you to send a signal with any EFC by entering the 5-digit EFC after the shift. If you don't press another key after Shift within 10 seconds, the shift action times out.

The 1 second hold duration is the same as is used on the Skip Fwd/Back buttons to make them act as Fast Fwd/Rewind, shorter than the 2.5 seconds needed on the Combo buttons to make them act as Setup/Copy.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The 1 second hold duration is the same as is used on the Skip Fwd/Back buttons to make them act as Fast Fwd/Rewind, shorter than the 2.5 seconds needed on the Combo buttons to make them act as Setup/Copy.
That is great about the Shift button well on the way, and reckon the 1second hold is just right Surprised Smile
ncoig

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
With plenty of keymove/macro memory, we don't really need the combiner anymore.

This may be true of newer remotes, but it is far from obsolete. Leave it to me to find a good use for it, but the glut of Cox 7820s make a strong case for its need.

This remote doesn't permit ANY keymoves and only has 4 devices. But, in true OFA fashion, it's a durable unit and has decent feel and button placement (aside from the PIP stuff, which is relatively pointless now, and in a poor location).

Thus, being able to combine devices is key (ha, ha - couldn't resist) to getting utility out of these remotes.

That said -- I'm on the hunt for the elusive combiner and how I might use it again... I believe I have an old copy with my venerable KM files. Will have to have a look-see.

-N
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncoig wrote:
I'm on the hunt for the elusive combiner and how I might use it again... I believe I have an old copy with my venerable KM files.

I know nothing about the device combiner, but it is built in to RMIR so no separate device combiner file is required. It appears as a protocol in the protocol drop-down box in the Device Upgrade Editor, for those remotes whose RDF shows support for it. The RDF for the Cox 7820 doesn't support it but that for the Cox 7820B does. When you select Device Combiner as the protocol, a new tab opens in the Device Upgrade Editor for you to make the necessary entries.

It is possible that in the many enhancements I have made to RMIR, I have done something that prevents it working. It certainly appears, in the way I said above, but I have no way of testing whether it works. I am sure you will let me know if it doesn't Very Happy .
ncoig

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

It is possible that in the many enhancements I have made to RMIR, I have done something that prevents it working. It certainly appears, in the way I said above, but I have no way of testing whether it works. I am sure you will let me know if it doesn't Very Happy .

Ha, you know I will! However, note that I was happily able to combine two devices I own, a CCTV NVR and a Matrix onto one device because they share all the same protocol, etc., so it rendered the question moot for the moment. However, I have it on my long list to try and address it one way or the other. Regrettably, the 7820 is the more prevalent remote, and the one in need of a better solution. The 7820B actually has more keys available, and even a phantom device, so it is better equipped out of the box.

Best,

-N
toddk63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

I can confirm I cannot get my Device Combiner to work in RMIR. I am trying to clone a Sharp GJ221-C remote (to a RS 15-100) which has one button (Decimal) that is a different Device Code. It has been 14 years since I last did a combined device (using KM). I understand the logic that I can do it with a separate device upgrade and keymoves and have done so, but the advantage I see to a Device Combiner is it is one upgrade file, load it and done. This would make it more useful to others then in the Files Section.

Has any progress been made on this issue?

Thanks,

Todd K.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a lot of combo executors created since the days when we originally created the Device Combiner, and we have one for Sharp. Could you show me the KM file that you're using as I may be able to convert it to an RMDU file for you.

EDIT: I decided to Google the remote to see what device it's used for and I see that it's for a Sharp TV, then I checked the file section and we have several Sharp TV upgrades that use the Sharp Combo protocol. I bet the following upgrade will work for your TV:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12923
toddk63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There have been a lot of combo executors created since the days when we originally created the Device Combiner, and we have one for Sharp. Could you show me the KM file that you're using as I may be able to convert it to an RMDU file for you.

Thanks for your quick response, Rob. I came back here to edit my original post to say, I got the Sharp Combo Protocol to work! I did read somewhere that OBD MUST be pasted vs EFC for the Sharp Combo. I tried both and only OBD paste works. It would be helpful if it mentioned that in the notes when selecting this protocol.

Another oddity. When I tried the Device Combiner protocol, it corrupted my other combined upgrade with the Device ID's I just entered in for the Sharp

Thanks again!

Todd K.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I guess it never occurred to us that someone would use EFCs rather than OBCs when building an upgrade.

Normally speaking, it's always a better idea to work with OBCs rather than EFCs, the only exception to that rule is the Device Combiner. The problem is that most of the executors that we use for protocols were written by UEI, and in this case, they chose to implement the combo protocol a little differently to how they implemented the standard one. In technical terms, the standard Sharp executor is LSB whereas the Sharp Combo is LSB-COMP (meaning the bits are reversed, or complemented).

EFCs are a scrambled version of the hex code, so they really have no purpose in the JP1 world, and the only reason we support them is because people are often given them by UEI, or they see them listed on a website or something.

The reason the Device Combiner requires EFCs rather than OBCs is because it allows you to mix protocols, therefore OBCs would generate different hex codes depending on which protocol is in use, and the device combiner just needs the right hex code, so we could only ask for either EFCs or the hex code, so EFCs seemed to make more sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: