JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Driver installation for JP1.2 1.3 interface
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Driver installation for JP1.2 1.3 interface Reply with quote

I have a new interface arrived and downloaded the D2XX USB Drivers from 'the Robman's link but am having trouble installing the drivers and getting the thing to work with my URC7960. I have tried the installation process and I have also tried pointing Windows device to the driver location both in XP then WIndows 7 to no avail.
Can anyone help please?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post a link to the cable you bought. If it's an FTDI, you don't need to load any drivers since they're built-in to the OS. If it's a Prolific or TIAO like DIYGadget sells, you need the Prolific or TIAO drivers from their site. If the driver loads but RMIR doesn't work, then you picked the wrong interface in RMIR. If all the above is correct, you may have low batteries or have the cable plugged in upside down. If all that fails, you may have a hardware problem.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I purchased this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221268958900?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Earlier Windows 8 on my laptop installed drivers for it but it still isn't working as I get a 'JP12 read failed 0' message if I try to download from the remote. If I do an interface check it says 'the remote interface check succeeded!

Windows XP on my desktop doesn't install the driver and I have to do it manually.

I cant see an RDF for that remote either.

Regards
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have the wrong version of RM. Make sure you get 2.02a.

For the RDF/Map/Image, get this first: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10761

Then overwrite with this: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10759
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej but I have tried that and still get the same '...read failed' message. What else could be wrong?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first post mentions D2XX drivers from "Rob's link". D2XX drivers are intended for FTDI chips, but they aren't the correct drivers for our software. Instead our software needs VCP drivers. But Win8 should already have the correct drivers built-in for FTDI chips. If not, the latest and best FTDI drivers are at http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm. If you have actually installed D2XX drivers, these need to be uninstalled first.

So what chipset do you have? In XP, ControlPanel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Ports/Properties should tell you if the chip has been recognized and who makes it.

Once it looks like you have a functioning USB to RS-232 interface. check its operation using Tommy's instructions on how to identify a remote. If the remote doesn't respond correctly, probably the interface cable is bad.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed there is a error in the device list against that item. It is 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3)' with error 'The device cannot start. (Code 10). A device which does not exist was specified.

This is on the Windows 8 laptop where I didn't manually install any drivers but allowed Windows to do it.

Tried different USB ports but its the same

Last edited by Ube_Astard on Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This means you have the wrong drivers. You need to find some Prolific drivers. Ask the cable vendor what drivers to use.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate. I eventually found that the drivers had windows 8 issues so I switched to a windows 7 system and the drivers show fine. I have the correct RDFs and latest IR and though the remote flashes I still have the same 'JP12 read failed 0'.
Is there anything else that could be wrong?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, some of those Prolific cables don't work with JP1.2 remotes. If I were you, I'd get an FTDI cable. They're usually about $8 US shipped worldwide and proven to work.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any links please?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one in this post is a good one:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=108649#108649
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have contacted the seller of my current cable and he indicates that it works with JP1.2 and 1.3 so Im foxed as to what can be wrong.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you you check the interface using Tommy's instructions as I mentioned a week ago? If manipulating the RTS line makes the remote go in and out of programming mode, but it doesn't provide the correct identification, then the interface cable itself is defective.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ube_Astard wrote:
I have contacted the seller of my current cable and he indicates that it works with JP1.2 and 1.3 so Im foxed as to what can be wrong.
Sorry, I meant to say JP1.4/JP2. That's what your remote is, not JP1.2/JP1.3. Ask your vendor again. Also try 3FG's suggestion.

Do you have any JP1.3 remotes you could try?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: