JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A little help please !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparky_Marky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: A little help please ! Reply with quote

Hi all

I am hoping someone here may be able to help me out a little , sorry for the long rambling first post !

I bought a Sony BDP-S370 second hand as it has a component output which will work with my trusty but old projector.

It didn't come with a remote which didn't worry me as I knew I could use a smartphone app to control it ..... but I need to reset the network settings on the player before I can set it up and use it .... for which I need the original remote .... which I don't have .... doh !

So I came across a post somewhere about using the OFA remotes to region free these players and rather hoped I'd be able to also use it to reset the thing in the first place .... apparently not.

I have obtained a second hand ie cheap ! OFA URC-7940 which doesn't have a factory setup code in it for the BDP-S370.

I see it is infinitely possible to program these which is all cool .... but ... I only want to at the moment mimic 5 buttons from the original remote - up down left right and enter.

I have pieced the below together from various posts but it doesn't seem to achieve what I am after ....

Am I on the right track or is it not possible to manually program the remote this way ?

. Press DVD
. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
. Press 0533 (or 1516) to set your controller to 'talk' to the DVD player (only this code works!)
. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
. Press 994
. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
. Press 00011 (if your OneForAll remote uses 4 digit or 3 digit codes, use less leading zeros)
. Press OK (this sets it to key OK - it flashes twice)
. Press 994
. Press 00057
. Press UP (this sets it to key UP - it flashes twice)
. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice
. Press 994
. Press 00058
. Press DOWN (this sets it to key DOWN - it flashes twice)
. Press 994
. Press 00059
. Press LEFT (this sets it to key LEFT - it flashes twice)
. Press 994
. Press 00060
. Press RIGHT (this sets it to key RIGHT - it flashes twice)

I have tried checking the remote after to see what code ID is set under the DVD button but this doesn't seem to blink in a way that indicates it has any programming.

Could anyone who knows how to please correct my steps and add in or take away as appropriate ?

Thanks in advance !
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those codes all look wrong to me. Try this one:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-bdp-s570/10822
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky_Marky,
If I understand you correctly, you just want to control the arrow and OK buttons on a Sony Blu-ray, and not do a region free hack.

Sony Blu-ray players use the Sony20 IR protocol, device 26.226. The URC-7940 doesn't have this capability built in, and it can't be manually programmed to send it. I see that some people are reporting success in doing the region free hack using Video 0533, which shoots Sony20 26.73, but there is no reason to think 0533 will control the arrow buttons, and if it would, your remote would already be set up at the factory with the correct EFCs.

The setup code you need is Video 1516, and the easiest way (in the US) to get this is to buy a RCA RCRP05B. No manual programming is required. If you have some other remote in mind, use OneForAll.com to look for a setup code which is recommended for your player. If OFA says the remote has 1516, then that remote will work.

ETA: The Atlas 1056B03 (not B01) or the Comcast 1067BC4 (not anything ending in a 3) also have Video 1516. These are frequently available on eBay. I recently bought at 1067BC4 used for $6 shipped. The Comcast 1067BC4 has more manual programming capability than the Atlas 1056B03.
Sparky_Marky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again

Thanks for the replies and yes 3FG you are correct in your assumption I only at this stage want to control the arrow keys and enter / OK button.

The Bluray player is Java driven and the only factory reset which can be done without a remote is the picture settings which is really frustrating.

I see I won't be able to do this manually with this remote, is it something that can be done with constructing the parallel cable and using the software approach ?

Thanks in advance.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, misunderstood.

Nothing you can do without a cable.

The iPhone or android app might work on the 370. And HDMI CEC should also work.

Since you are in NZ, check the one-for-all site and see if any of those strike your fancy. We'll try to tell you if it has 1516. Recent Sony universals should also have the right code.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the codes needed to do the HACK use Sony20 26.73 while the basic operations of the BDP needs Sony20 26.226. Standard Sony DVD players can be set to use different unit codes, but I don't know if the BluRay's support that. and I think you need the original remote to do that anyway.

Only a hand full of remotes have that Sony 26.226 built in, and yours is not one of them. Perhaps you could borrow a Sony BluRay remote from someone and either teach the codes to your remote, or use the remote directly on the bluray player to change the settings.

Whoops I seem to be a little late to the party. I started this post way before the previous posts. I just got side tracked.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Sparky_Marky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again to all who have replied !

I have been trying to find someone locally with a suitable Sony remote I could borrow to no avail .... does it need to be the exact model remote (RMT-B107A) or will any Sony Bluray remote work for the basic menu functions I need ? ie arrow keys and enter .....

The model is supported by Sonys smartphone remote app which is what I plan to use to control it ..... but ........

The player I suspect has been set up with a manual IP configuration or the networking isn't working at all as it doesn't pick up an IP address from DHCP, it does show a lit port on the switch however.

I have already looked at the OFA remotes and found the models which will work.

I live on an island and the shipping within NZ to us can be as expensive as getting items from overseas !

I can get a OFA remote in NZ for the same price as the Bluray player cost with no guarantee its going to work, or the same remote from overseas on Ebay for half the price, with another delay of 10+ days .....

I will be taking the 5 rented Blurays my wife picked up from our local rental store today, unwatched, a week after she brought them home with the player !

She is not thus far impressed with my attempt to simplify her interaction with our HT system by using a Bluray player as a kind of basic "universal" player !!!

Can anyone suggest any relevant threads in the forums which would be a good starting point for me with info relevant to what I am aiming to achieve.

I have access to Windows and Linux PCs and Macs so whichever programming utility is deemed the easiest to pick up is where I may start.

I can construct the simple parallel programming cable without a problem but I am wondering if the whole process will save me any time over getting an OFA from Ebay as it looks like a daunting amount of reading to do !!

If there are any handy pointers to save me a little time it would be very much appreciated !!

Thanks in advance.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Sony bluray players ever made use exactly the same codes. So a remote from any of them will work.

One option you didn't mention trying was HDMI CEC (Bravia Sync, Anynet, Viera Link, etc.). If your TV is capable, then that should give you pretty much full control with your TV remote over HDMI (or TV codes on your 7940).

Regarding a cable, the 7940 is a JP1.3 remote, not JP1. So the simple parallel cable won't work. But just about any FTDI serial cable will. The one below works fine with JP1.3 remotes and has free shipping to NZ at least.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330809610323

Another option which might work is a satellite tv remote. UEI, the maker of your 7940 and other JP1 remotes, also makes many satellite tv remotes. So if it's possible to buy or borrow one of those, it may have Sony bluray codes. Other universal remotes like Logitech Harmony work as well, if you can find one of those.

Also, if your video rental store has any players for rent, perhaps one of those is a Sony with a remote your could learn from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: