JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there an online Hex calculator app for phone/tablet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Is there an online Hex calculator app for phone/tablet? Reply with quote

I use Barf's Swiss army knife app, IRScrutinizer, a lot, just to get access to the Hex Calculator. But more and more I find myself primarily using a tablet or phone instead of a PC to read the forum. I often do binary and hex calculations as I read. I'm wondering if there is something similar online, or an app that does binary, Hex, LSB, LSB comp calculations so I can do it on the phone or my tablet?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really looked for such a thing lately. But there are some cool things you can do just in a Google search. If you type "65 in hex", for example, it will calculate the result. Same goes for bin and decimal. Prefix hex numbers with "0x" and bin with "0b". You can do calculations too, so possibly some multiplication or addition to get comps and such. You can even convert to/from roman numerals (not so handy for JP1, but great for old movies).

Otherwise I just use calculator apps. I'm a scientific calc geek, so I use m48 on iOS which is way overkill for what you want to do but works great. Takes quite an effort to setup and learn though.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,

nice that you like the Hex Calculator in IrScrutinizer. It is written in portable Java, so it is possible with very moderate effort to, e.g., make it to a standalone program (really, "no" effort"), a Java applet to be embedded in an HTML-page, or an Android app. I will likely try something such in the near future. If someone else wants to try it,
here are the sources, feel free to use them in accordance with the license (GPL3). (The tools, HexCalculator, TimeFrequencyCalculator and the AmxBeaconListener are subclasses of the JPanel Java class.)

Which OS is your main interest, Android, iOS, WindowsPhone?

@mdavej: Actually, the HexCalculator does a little bit more the e.g. the Windows desktop calculator, in particular the computation of the bit-reverse representation (incorrectly called "LSB"). It is "custom made for the IR-hacker's needs". I do not know a simpe way to compute the reverse using a desktop tool on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android,... If you do, please enlighten me.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave thanks, I hadn't thought about googling my answers. It does work but it is too much work

Barf, yes I find the hex calculator to be very helpful. I use it all the time. I'm interested in an online solution. I'm using an android tablet, an iPhone and windows 7 PC.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two I found useful on Android tab are in the play store.
Use search for these exact names and confirm the authors:
1. Hex Plus Converter - it's by Duncan Watson
2. Binary Converter - by Syndroid Apps
Both are free and no ads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: