JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RoadMaster Programmable LED Sign RRDS100 Need IR Codes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: RoadMaster Programmable LED Sign RRDS100 Need IR Codes Reply with quote

I picked up a RoadMaster programmable LED sign model RRDS100 today at a second hand shop. and of course I did not get the remote which is needed to program the thing

I have found little information about this device
There is hacking instructions but most of the links are long since dead

I found a couple of the codes but the links to the actual files are dead so I don't know how to figure out all of what I am posting below

Code:
char keys[54][4]  = {
             "RUN","A","B","PWR",
             "C","D","E","F",
             "G","H","I","J",
             "K","L","M","N",
             "O","P","Q","R",
             "S","T","U","V",
             "W","X","Y","Z",
             "!","?","#","$",
             "SHT","DEL","CAP",
             "LAR","EDT","RAR",
             "ENT","INS","CLR",
             "1","2","3","4",
             "5","6","7","8",
             "SPD","9","0","INV",
             " "
           };

long codes[] = {
             0xFFF807,0xFFBA45,0xFFFA05,0xFF38C7,
             0xFF3AC5,0xFF7887,0xFF7A85,0xFFB847,
             0xFF1AE5,0xFF58A7,0xFFDA25,0xFF9867,
             0xFFD827,0xFF9A65,0xFF5AA5,0xFF18E7,
             0xFFC03F,0xFF40BF,0xFFC23D,0xFF807F,
             0xFF02FD,0xFF827D,0xFF42BD,0xFF00FF,
             0xFF22DD,0xFF609F,0xFF629D,0xFF20DF,
             0xFFE01F,0xFFA25D,0xFFE21D,0xFFA05F,
             0xFF50AF,0xFF52AD,0xFF906F,
             0xFFD02F,0xFF926D,0xFF10EF,
             0xFF12ED,0xFFD22D,0xFFB04F,
             0xFF0AF5,0xFF8A75,0xFFCA35,0xFF8877,
             0xFFC837,0xFF48B7,0xFF4AB5,0xFF08F7,
             0xFFE817,0xFFAA55,0xFFEA15,0xFF28D7
           };

I believe it is the NEC remote protocol which one I don't know

Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a NEC protocol I'd expect to see 4 bytes instead of 3. If it is a NEC protocol its probably NEC1 device 0 and they dropped the leading zeros in the hex representation.

If I did my calculations correctly the power button would be OBC 28, efc 244 or 00244 depending on the age of your remote . Set your remote to any nec1 0 setup code and see if this works the power function.

Looks like a cool toy.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You!
but unfortunately there was a couple of different versions of this device and these codes are not for the version I have.
I however know that all of the different versions use thte NEC1 Device 0 protocol

Is there any way to figure out how to get the codes or do I have to go by trial and error? and try every one
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid you need to go with trial and error. I googled that every which way and can't find any kind of Lirc file, hex notation, pronto hex, not even what you found above.
I also checked the OBC's of the code you listed, to see if there would be a good starting point, but if there is a pattern there, I can't find it.

I hope trial and error works. Only 255 possibilities if it really is Nec1 0.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The codes posted above come from here:
http://hackaday.io/project/879-LED-scroller---IR-automated-programming

I'm guessing the page with the dead links is this one:
https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/14390-controlling-a-scrolling-led-message-sign-from-a-pc-linux/
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never saw the first link that "The Robman" posted until now

I actually tried a code and it seemed to work (I must have been doing something wrong before when I thought the codes were not for my device) so I am going to try and make an upgrade file for this device as it seems like a neat little toy

I hope I get it working
Anyway here is the
User Manual
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl. Smile

Just an observation: Some of the video mentioned the word "Arduino". Well, Arduino users tend to use the Shirrif library "IRremote", which believes that NEC1 is a MSB-first protocol (which it is not Wink ). (Reference, go down around 100 lines). So you may like to try the codes bit-reversed.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

110220Volts wrote:
Actually I never saw the first link that "The Robman" posted until now

Is the 2nd link the one you were looking at? The user who hosts the first site also posted the same info on the 2nd site.

110220Volts wrote:
I actually tried a code and it seemed to work (I must have been doing something wrong before when I thought the codes were not for my device) so I am going to try and make an upgrade file for this device as it seems like a neat little toy

What code did you find that works?
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply but I have been busy
anyway I got the Speed, Edit and the Run codes to work
I have not tried the letter codes yet as they don't seem to be labelled correctly as all of the pictures of the remote don't match the labeling of those codes

Here is a picture of the remote

http://webpages.charter.net/formatc/images/Electronics/RRDS100/RRDS100_Remote.jpg
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Upgrade file Reply with quote

I made an upgrade file with those codes that I posted
I tried it and the device does respond to the codes
but I think a couple of the necessary codes are missing though but this file is a good starting point

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12629
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I am afraid you need to go with trial and error. I googled that every which way and can't find any kind of Lirc file, hex notation, pronto hex, not even what you found above.
I also checked the OBC's of the code you listed, to see if there would be a good starting point, but if there is a pattern there, I can't find it.

I hope trial and error works. Only 255 possibilities if it really is Nec1 0.

The device is really Nec 1 Device 0 as it will respond to the commands that I posted

If there are 255 possibilities when I try them do I increment the OBC or the EFC (My remote uses 5 digit EFC codes my remote is the infamous RCA RCR05B)

I think it is EFC code that I increment as that is the only one that looks like I can type any number in between 0-254 or is it 1-255

I just want to make sure that I get it right
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OBC gets translated into a EFC depending upon the protocol/executor etc. (the button code gets mapped to an effective, i.e. sent, code). When creating an upgrade and then uploading it to your remote with a cable you can use either OBC or EFC (the software does the conversion). When inputting codes manually into a remote, you are entering EFCs. Just make sure you note which it is that you are entering.

Codes are from 0 (binary 00000000) to 255 (binary 11111111). I'd start at 1 and take careful note of what happens with each code. I'd leave 0 and 255 to the end since, just occasionally, they might do undesirable things to your target device (like access a service menu for your TV).

Please be aware that codes will sometimes do nothing and sometimes have an action depending upon what mode your target device is presently in. For example, a code that means "Up Arrow" might move the selection from a channel guide up one channel when in EPG mode but do nothing during normal viewing of a TV. For this reason, you might need to check a particular code more than once, having first entered into one of various states/modes/menus for your device.
wtdatch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have the every first early roadmaster RRDS100 model that does not have the profanity filter? The early model also came with a much smaller remote that is only 1 ½"W X 3 1/4"L

I have one of each of them. a lot of tweeking can be done to it.

if you had a remote like the one in the photo do you have some equip. that will read the codes if so I may be able to borrow one from a friend.

Thanks

Bill D
Smile
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do have the right equipment to read the codes
If you can find me a remote that would be great as the sign is useless without the remote
Kevin Mullins

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone still messing with these RRDS100 signs? (posts were from last year, so figured I'd ask)

I have one that I just started playing with, but I'm new to all this IR codes and such.
I did notice that there are only two versions that I have come across during my research, a 2007, and a 2008 model. Assuming this is the difference between to the ones with profanity filter and whatnot.

EDIT: I just realized there is also an RRDS100H model which has a remote dated 2008 as well. What the difference is between it and a RRDS100 I have no idea.

So I'd recommend anyone messing with these specify if their sign (or remote) is a copyright of 2007 or 2008, RRDS100 or RRDS100H, etc, otherwise it gets confusing and "the codes" may not work quite the same between them. (I do not know this for sure, but since others have had trouble with the previous codes posted I just assumed)

Like me I picked up a 2007 sign with no remote, so I went on the hunt for a 2007 remote. But as luck would have it my sign seems to be unresponsive to it, but I've read reviews of these signs as that is a common issue...they just quit working one way or another.

The remote pictured above is a 2008 version. Notable is that is says Roadmaster on the front, the 2007 does not. And of course the copyright date is on the back label of the remotes and of the signs themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: