JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need RID file for adb-3721wn
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaltJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Need RID file for adb-3721wn Reply with quote

I know I'm dreaming, but has anyone made an RID file for the adb-3721wn. My father-in-law is getting his TV from Smithville Telco in Indiana and that's the cable box they use. The remote has what looks like a JP1 pin connector on it, but when I tried to download the remote with IR I got an error.

I haven't tried downloading it using RemoteMaster yet. I'll do that the next time I make it out his way (he lives 3 hours away).

I know this type of JP1 work is mostly dead these days with the advent of HD, but my father-in-law really loves his replaytv and want's to continue to use it.

Thanks for any help or guidance I can get on this.

Btw, TiVo has a code some are having luck with for this cable box. Has there been any procedure created to convert a TiVo code to a replaytv RID file? Just a thought...
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the remote looks like the Potenza model pictured here, then it is very similar to the popular RCRP05B. If the remote is an original model Potenza, then it is a JP1.3 remote. If it is the newer Potenza with backlighting, it may be a JP2 remote, for which IR.exe won't work. With either model, you need a flash interface cable and not a JP1 (EEPROM) interface. If the remote is a JP2 model, interfaces based on the FTDI chipset (Tommy Tyler) will work, while probably an interface based on the Prolific chipset (DIYgadget, Tiao) probably won't read the remote.

ADB boxes use a variety of IR protocols, so if your father in law can blink back the signature of the remote (983 command) and/or the setup code used by the ADB remote (990 command) we'll have a better idea of how to proceed.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

My father-in-law is 77 and not very tech savvy. I can try to walk him through the blink back commands, but I'm not optimistic he'll be able to follow the steps.

That remote looks just like it. I don't remember there being backlighting, but that doesn't mean I just didn't notice it.

I currently have an old jp1 cable I use to program my old replaytv 5k remotes (which I'm still using because I really love that remote even though we're using a WMC HTPC now). Given I have an old serial JP1 cable, is there 1 cable that will work regardless what JP interface he has on his remote?

Or perhaps the better question is, will I need to download the remote if I get the blink back signature and setup code? Will that information allow me to identify and use an already created RID file (or create one myself) without having to download the remote directly?

I might be going to see him again next weekend, and if needed, I'd like to show up with whatever cable I need to get his remote information. On a side note, are the new JP2 cables backwards compatible with the JP1 interface remotes?

Thanks,

Walt
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me be clear that I have no experience with Replay TV or with making RID files. But I'm assuming that you want to make a RID file to control the ADB box, and your father in law will continue to use his existing Replay remote to control the ReplayTV.

If that is correct, I don't think you need to program the Potenza remote. It probably is also not necessary to download from it. Most likely, the Potenza has a built in setup code to control the ADB box. We can't use the JP1 tools to read the data associated with built in setup codes. There is a small chance that the Smithville remote uses an upgrade for the ADB--in that case you probably would need to be able to download. If you or he can blink back the setup code, and we recognize it, then downloading from the Potenza won't be necessary.

However, if you do want or need to download from the Potenza, it will need a flash cable. Your old Replay remotes are JP1 with a completely different communications approach. AFAIK, no one makes an interface which handles both JP1 and JP1.x (and higher) remotes. Some people buy a flash cable and add a separate JP1.x to JP1 adapter to program the older remotes.

For his Potenza remote, which is certainly JP1.3 or newer, the interface sold at TxSat is known to work with all JP1.3/1.4/2/3 remotes. A cheaper alternative which is less convenient to use and procure is a FTDI USB to Serial converter. The key point is to get a FTDI chipset.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all pretty much nails it.

Why is the FTDI USB to Serial converter less convenient to use than the TxSat device?

Good information.

So what if no one recognizes the code, and the remote is using a built-in code and not an upgrade -- so nothing to download? Am I stuck at that point?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Potenza may be a learning remote. In that case, we can teach the Potenza, and download from it, decode the IR protocol and then make the RID file. One way or another, we'll figure it out.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have the signature and setup code

Signature (983) = 3033

Code(990) = 2254

I'm at my father-in-law's right now and will be here until tomorrow morning.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's my next step in getting an RID?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aloha. I'm off on vacation in beautiful Hawaii. I only have a tablet with me so I can't experiment.

It appears that you found code cable/2254, which the lookup tool says is used for ADB video accessories. So that is probably the code you want to use. So the next thing to do is create an RDMU file from the information found in the lookup tool. The number codes are ambiguous maybe someone with a 3033 atlas can give you the correct codes. Then there is a sticky in this forum that details how to use ridgen to complete your task.

Pomaika`i (Good Luck)

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A signature of 3033 means an Atlas 1056B01 or similar remote, but I'm pretty sure that isn't quite the correct signature for your father in law's remote. One possibility is that it is a JP1.4 remote-- I should have asked you to check 5 digits of the signature. Anyway an Atlas 3033 doesn't have any 2254 setup codes, but the RCA RCRP05B does have Cable 2254. It shoots the Sejin-1-56 IR protocol, which in the very early days of JP1 was also referred to as i3micro--as you can see in the Lookup Tool. I used JP1Master-1.11 to find upgrades with protocol executor 0161, and the first one I tried (Pirelli P.VU2600S-RT) is an exact match for the Cable 2254 signals. (Well, I tried about half of the buttons with a Widget, but they all matched.)

So, the upgrade already exists, and now it needs to be turned into a RID file. I don't have any experience with that, and I suppose that you can follow the instructions as well as I can.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I hope you're enjoying your vacation. Now all I need is someone to help with those ambiguous number codes. Any takers?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,
I already resolved the ambiguity about the number codes. The Pirelli upgrade in my previous post has the correct signals.
WaltJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

Not sure how I missed your response. I have to admit that some of it is Greek to me, but I'll hope much of it will become clear once I start to work thru the steps to create the RID.

Thanks a lot guys!
WaltJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting "unknown protocol" with the "sejin-1-n" protocol. I did some reading and I guess I need an irp file for it. Can someone help me find and load it?

Thanks
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sejin protocol repeats the same signal as long as the button is held down, and when the button is released, the signal is sent with a flipped toggle bit . That behavior can't be expressed in Pronto Hex for an arbitrary number of repeats.

So I've made an irp file that sends the repeating part of the signal once and then sends the toggled signal. The irp shown below also includes the form for no repeat (just final frame) and 2 repeats before the final frame. To use these, put a "#" at the beginning of the line starting "Form...", and remove the "#" from the desired Form line.
Code:
Device=16.0
Function=0..255
Define T=S+128
Define A=F:4:4
Define B=F:4
Define G=D:4:4
Define H=D:4
Define I=S:3:4
Define J=S:4
Define C=A+B+G+H+I+J
Define K=C+8
Define L=3
Define M = 0
Frequency=56000
First Bit=MSB
Time Base=310
Zero=1,-3
One=-1,1,-2
Two=-2,1,-1
Three=-3,1
Prefix=3
#one repeat followed by final frame
Form=*,L:2,D:8,S:8,F:8,M:4,C:4,-77000,*,L:2,D:8,T:8,F:8,M:4,K:4,-77000

#final frame only
#Form=*,L:2,D:8,T:8,F:8,M:4,K:4,-77000

#two repeat signals followed by final frame
#Form=*,L:2,D:8,S:8,F:8,M:4,C:4,-77000,*,L:2,D:8,S:8,F:8,M:4,C:4,-77000,*,L:2,D:8,T:8,F:8,M:4,K:4,-77000
I'm not sure what you should call irp file to make it work with the rid software. Probably Sejin-1-N.irp
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> ReplayTV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: