JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discretes on OARUSB04G?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpurick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Discretes on OARUSB04G? Reply with quote

I bought a new Samsung set which supposedly supports discretes, though these are not on the factory remote. I guess they don't want anyone hurting themselves.

I have an MX-500 set up with macros for powering things on and off. But many years ago I had a 15-1994 and a JP1, and I remember that amazing little remote could be programmed with any code.

I notice the OARUSB04G comes with a cable, so I was wondering...

Is it possible/feasible to get the Samsung discretes, and then program them into an OARUSB04G using the factory cable? If I could do this, then I could learn the discretes into the MX-500, which is what I'd really like.

Also, if there's a better way to do this, I'm listening. But I really like the MX-500 because I can basically put an activity macro on all my device buttons -- I can long-press the BluRay button to watch movies, long-press the DVR button to watch TV, etc. It would be nice if my power macros had discretes for the new TV.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Discretes on OARUSB04G? Reply with quote

cpurick wrote:

I have an MX-500 set up with macros for powering things on and off. But many years ago I had a 15-1994 and a JP1, and I remember that amazing little remote could be programmed with any code.

Yes UEI remotes are AMAZING!

Quote:

I notice the OARUSB04G comes with a cable, so I was wondering...

Is it possible/feasible to get the Samsung discretes, and then program them into an OARUSB04G using the factory cable? If I could do this, then I could learn the discretes into the MX-500, which is what I'd really like.

Also, if there's a better way to do this, I'm listening.

If you have deep pockets you can do it that way.

If you have access to any UEI remote that supports EFC style keymoves you can probably do this for free.

I'm assuming when you say "Set" you mean TV, if not stop reading.

I'm on my 3rd Samsung TV. They have all used the same Necx2 7.7 protocol. Most of the newer UEI remotes shoot these signals out of the box. The TV will also respond to NECx1 7.7 signals. All 78 remote UEI remote varietiesy I have tested send out either Necx1 7.7 or Necx2 7.7 signals. If you still have your 15-1994 you can setup a keymove against the NECx1 7.7. setup code. Also many cable companies provide universal remotes that can do EFC style keymoves, although I think some of the newest remotes don't support keymoves anymore.

Anyway if you have a remote that sends EFC style keymoves (see *994 instructions) you can send the signal for your mx500 to learn.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Vicky's reply, yes the OARUSB04G can be used to teach Samsung discretes to another remote. You would do this by manually entering EFCs using the 994 command. The OARUSB04G connects to a computer with a USB cable, but we can't use this cable to program the remote. On the other hand, UEI will program it via www.simpleset.com.

As Vicky says, many UEI remotes can be programmed with the 994 command. If you don't still have your remote from 10 years ago, perhaps you already own a cable remote made by UEI, e.g. Comcast, Cox, etc.
cpurick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I already have the MX-500, so this may be the cheapest way for me to generate the learnable discretes that didn't come on my Samsung remote.

If I understand and remember correctly, once you pick a protocol for a device all the buttons on that device are simply different three-digit values encoded in that same protocol.

What you appear to be saying here is that after you assign a protocol to a device on the remote, there's a button sequence (with 994 in it) that will generate any requested value even if that particular value isn't already assigned to a button. I vaguely remember this capability from my old 15-1994. Now I wish I still had that old thing. So if I get the code values for the discretes I want, I should be able to output them by just keying them in on a device that's been assigned as a Samsung TV. Do I have this right?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's correct. However, remotes sold within the last few years use a 5 digit EFC instead of 3. In the case of Samsung TVs, the 5 digits are of the form 00XYZ, where XYZ is the old 3 digit EFC. Other protocol executors (especially combo executors) need all 5 digits of information.
cpurick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the obvious question then -- this OARUSB04G definitely supports these EFC codes?
cpurick

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this remote is not exactly the same as other OFA remotes. Some of the sequences seem a little different. I've only been able to access extended codes on the TV device. Other devices aren't working the same, or maybe not at all. I haven't seen any codes assigned from the DVD device. I can't even map any of the regular codes to a button on that device.

Does Radio Shack carry any current JP1 models?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpurick wrote:
Does Radio Shack carry any current JP1 models?
I think they still sell the RCA RCRP05B. That's the only JP1 remote they have left. You can buy that model most anywhere though (Walmart, Office Depot, Amazon, etc.). If you have cable TV, that remote is likely JP1 as well. If you strike out, many of us have boxes and boxes full of JP1 remotes. PM me if you want one and let me know what device setup codes you need.

I'll have to do some experimenting and see what's going on with the OARUSB04G. Even if you can't assign them with 994, you should at least be able to send them using just Set xxxxx for teaching purposes.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have access to one of these at the moment, but in general any 9XX command needs a slightly different sequence. For example, going from memory, after pressing setup and getting 2 blinks, one needs to press the desired device button before entering 9XX. Typically pressing setup puts the remote into TV mode, and you'll see the TV button blink. So you need to change the device mode to wherever you want to put the keymove.
cpurick

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I don't have access to one of these at the moment, but in general any 9XX command needs a slightly different sequence. For example, going from memory, after pressing setup and getting 2 blinks, one needs to press the desired device button before entering 9XX. Typically pressing setup puts the remote into TV mode, and you'll see the TV button blink. So you need to change the device mode to wherever you want to put the keymove.

Yes, basically when working on the DVD device anytime you see the TV light you just select DVD as your next press and it goes back to DVD. I did not notice this the first night I worked on it, but I figured it out last night.

I did not have any luck getting it to emit based on straight EFC codes, but I don't think I tried that after I figured out the extra device press above. If it will shoot codes on demand then that's all I need as I'm only using it to teach another remote.
cpurick

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the current model remotes with JP1 connectivity and/or at least the EFC mapping capabilities?
cpurick

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the RCRP05BR. But if anyone can explain how to make heads or tails out of this other thing I would still appreciate it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpurick wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the current model remotes with JP1 connectivity and/or at least the EFC mapping capabilities?
It's a couple of years out of date, but at least has the RCRP05B on it:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=RemoteChart
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpurick wrote:
I bought the RCRP05BR. But if anyone can explain how to make heads or tails out of this other thing I would still appreciate it.

Set the TV to code 1060

That should control a standard Samsung TV

Then you can try these discrete codes by tapping setup and then tap the following codes

00251 select tv
00171 select digital tv
00081 select HDMI 1
00030 select HDMI 2/DVI
00175 select HDMI 3
00176 select HDMI 4
00190 select component 1
00061 select component 2
00073 select PC
00192 select S-video
00188 select AV1
00083 select AV 2
00001 DiscreteOn
00253 DiscreteOff
00216 caption
00150 Antenna
00211 Aspect 4:3
00204 Aspect 16:9
00107 Aspect Zoom 1
00209 Aspect Zoom 2

if they work you can assign them as keymoves

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
cpurick

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I got the RCRP05BR to work. It doesn't have the 2467 codes for my Yamaha receiver, but I already have a Yamaha remote with discretes for that.

Everything else worked with the RCA remote.

I see a JP1 connector in this thing. What kind of cable do I need to load the RCRP05BR via USB, and where would I get one? Do you think someone would trade me a cable for the OARUSB04G?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: