JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is my VUR8 bricked?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what is going on here. The actual contents of the C4000 as uploaded and downloaded are the same. It's the interpretation that is different. Also, since the C4000 and the VUR8 give the same symptoms, but use a different processor and memory structure, I think we can exonerate the cable or the remotes.

I should have asked you to use a minimal upgrade-- Vol+/- Mute, CH+/-, and Power. That way we can make sure that the problem isn't just a bug affecting a complicated upgrade.

So let's do the same drill again, but with a very simple upgrade. After uploading, I'd like you to do the download with a freshly started instance of RMIR, and after saving the RMIR file, also save the rmaster.err file. Make sure to actually test this simple upgrade.

Finally, in Help About, find the exact version of RMIR being used and post that also. It's written in bold right at the top of the pop up window.
GregD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two files I posted are not exactly alike.

Uploaded upgrade:
Device number 4
Sub Device: 251
Parm: [empty]

Assigned buttons:
Button Function
A [yellow] HDMI 2
B [blue] HDMI 3
C [red] Power Off
D [green] Power On

Downloaded upgrade:
Device number 251
Sub Device: 4
Parm: 20

The four assigned buttons return to their default functions:
A [yellow]
B [blue]
C [red]
D [green]

I'm running RM v2.03 Alpha 22 Test 12. I want to note again that RealTerm no longer recognizes either of the remotes, the VUR8 or the Charter OCAP, which is what made me think there's a problem with the cable.

I've done as you suggested and posted a new, more basic upgrade along with the err files. The same thing happens with the Device, Sub-device and Parm numbers. Also, strangely, the Mute button function magically appears in the downloaded upgrade. Neither the uploaded or downloaded upgrades work.

Uploaded: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12605
Err file for uploaded upgrade:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12606
Downloaded: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12607
Downloaded err file:http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12608

Edit: I just ran the experiment again as I noticed the Device Type incorrectly said Cable even though I am sure I set it for TV. The same issues occurred, however, including the Mute function mysteriously appearing in the downloaded upgrade even though it was not included in the uploaded upgrade.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These files help a lot.

1) Don't worry about Mute showing up. UEI groups Vol+, Vol-, and Mute together, and if any one of these buttons is assigned, all them have to be. RMIR took care of that for you, and silently assigned OBC 255 to Mute.

2) I suspect you've uncovered a long standing software bug. I think that your remote has a correctly formatted NEC1 upgrade, but upon downloading from the remote, RMIR is incorrectly deciding it is NECx1. You really shouldn't be using Alpha22 Test12, but it does provide more info in rmaster.err, and we can see that in parsing the upgrade RMIR considers NEC1, but rejects it in favor of NECx1 with reversed device and sub numbers. I see the same behavior in RMIR 2.02 and in 2.03 Alpha 23. But I think you can work around this in a Vizio upgrade. Make sure that the upgrade contains only a device number (4 in this case) and do not enter 251 into the subdevice box. Leave it blank. Then (I hope) RMIR will be able to correctly interpret the upgrade when downloading from the remote. Also, install Alpha 23. If this is a software bug, mathdon will presumably only want to work on bugs demonstrated in the latest version.

3) The RMIR file from before the upload suggests operator error, so excuse me pushing a method of making upgrades. In the Device Upgrade Editor, it is necessary to assign a setup code. Make sure that it is distinctive, like 1234 for one upgrade, and 1776 for another upgrade. Also set a device type (TV in this case). After clicking OK, on the General Tab assign setup code 1234 to one of the device buttons--probably TV. Make sure that the type shown on the General tab is also TV. The reason I'm stressing this is the download from the remote shows that it ended up with the default TV setup code (TV 0047-- a RCA code) on the cable button, and TV 0000 ( a Sony code) on the TV button. Presumably the remote couldn't understand the instructions, and resorted to the default setup code. I think this would have resulted from a cross up on the device types.
GregD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I downloaded Alpha 23, although I used the MAP and RDF files from Alpha 22, Test 12. The VUR8 remote seems to be working again.

I again uploaded a simple device upgrade for the Vizio SV421XVT TV: Power, Ch+, Ch-, Vol+, Vol-, Mute, Menu and Power Off. I used NEC1 and only filed in the Device: 4, each device type was given a proper, unique setup code.

I assigned the functions to the usual buttons, and placed Power Off on the CC button. The upgrade did not work. But when I downloaded the upgrade, the only change to the file was the Power Off function was relabed CC, with the EFC remaining for Power Off.
GregD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I've got several upgrades to work, at last.

I started fresh upgrades, plugging in the EFCs garnered from manufacturers and existing RMDU files. The only change from what I had tried earlier was that I used setup codes from the Code Selector in RM IR for specific devices that correspond with setup codes recognized by the remote I'm using. I had been under the impression that any of the codes for a particular type of upgrade found in Code Selector would do.

Thanks again for all your help 3FG.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: