JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB>SERIAL Cable with Prolific Chip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiku

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: USB>SERIAL Cable with Prolific Chip Reply with quote

Hello friends, i have bought a used usb to serial cable without a driver cd. see the pic of my model its a logic level (not RS232 voltage level)

More Details Here:-
http://www.picaxe.com/Software/Drivers/USB010-USB-Adapter-Driver
when inserted in usb port,It auto detected the driver in windows 7, opened the device manager & saw it has prolific chip inside,

Now my question is do i have to make something like this with transistors and resistance:-

OR
I can simply connect with 9 pin D-SUB female connector and solder 5 wires into it like this one

and other end insert into Jack.

If simple soldering is required than please guide me which wire to which pin inside the F.D-sub connector.
Thanks.

Last edited by Tiku on Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 am; edited 4 times in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not read the sticky?
Tiku

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@3FG instead of diverting me to the sticky post, you could have just used two simple words direct or transistor version, if you have read my previous posts i have already mention that my english is not so good as its not my native language,all of the previous projects i did was entirely done with the pics and the IQ. Level.

Now i want to programme this remote with serial interface its a JP1.2/3 Flash Remote

Last edited by Tiku on Sat May 24, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG most likely would have helped you more if you hadn't insulted him, now I'm sure he will do as you requested and not help you any more.

I don't frequent these forums anymore, so I'm not the one you need to help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just don't know the hardware side that well. So I can't really be much help. But it is documented in great detail. If I were you, I'd just keep experimenting or buy or build interfaces known to work. If I had to guess, I'd say the interface you have would probably work without any extra circuitry. So try that first.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to answer your original question...

What you have is a USB to Serial. It adds a serial port to a computer that only has USB, but not a serial port. So what you need to build is a Serial to JP1.x converter. The 4th sticky down in the hardware section is: Building Your Own JP1.2/3 Interface for a Serial Port
Tiku

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, pH7_jp1, thats the ansnwer i was expecting short,simple & to the point, now i am hoping and requesting if any member has a inside pic of transistor or IC version please upload it here as the schematics are REALLY hard for me to understand, and the pic is not very clear.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiku,
You said "see the pic of my model its a logic level (not RS232 voltage level) ", this means you don't need transistor version but a direct version. I believe the output of the DB9 pins are +5v TTL level which should be compatible(within voltage range) with your remote.
RS232 voltages are +/- 10V or higher so measure the DB9 pin voltages to be sure.
Tiku

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks binky123, that's the Details given on the product website, its Genuine UK Brand,here is the copy paste of the product details

This is the Prolific USB driver for the 'universal' USB to Serial Adapter (part USB010). Note we generally recommend use of the AXE027 PICAXE USB download cable instead, as that is a logic level (not RS232 voltage level) part.
Kindly note that a large number of 'fake' Prolific USB adapters are now on sale on popular online sites. These adapters, which tend to be a translucent blue or green colour and are sold at very low prices, do not actually contain a Prolific chip (they use a fake inferior clone chip but still 'identify' themselves under the USB protocol by using the Prolific USB PID/VID identification codes). These fake clones will not work correctly as the clone chips do not correctly support the RS232 'break' command.
I have not downloaded their original driver form the website, because device auto installed the latest driver in Windows 7.

Any Idea which pinout of DB9 should be 5v/10v?
Tiku

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the manufacturer for the datasheet (pinout) of the product and i got this reply
"The pinout of the 9-way connector matches the industry standard, for
example -"
http://www.db9-pinout.com/
Now which pin should i check for volts??
Tiku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok i checked with Voltmeter, Pin 3,4 & 7 Has 5 Volts,Pin 5 Is Ground but its showing Neg.- Volts the red Probe goes to Pin 5 to read Pos.+Volts,is it normal?, somebody please guide me,now can i directly solder wires in it and the other end inside the Jack? if somebody please be kind enough to specify
which wire to which pin inside the remote header.Thanks.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it should be
Code:

JP1.2 IDC 6              DB9
               6 Data-Out   -------> pin 2 RxD
               2 /RESET     <------- pin 7 RTS
               4 Data-In    <------- pin 3 TxD
               3  GND       -------- pin 5 GND
Tiku

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks binky123,its communicating with the IR8.04, but i am stuck till "remote interface check succeeded" i cannot download from remote, i get this

There is a label on the battery cover that says:
URC 60500RO1-11
S3F80J9XTR-COC9
SIO1814-3056

The thread over here has similar remote but chip inside is different, i could not find my URC-60500 model in the data base, so i selected his model which is URC-1660, there are two more with the same signature 7555,7556,i tried all but could not go beyond interface check succeeded.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11607

Here is another link, someone has already upgraded this remote, but i think he has not uploaded maps & images & rdf file.
Please have a look:-
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15167&sid=3af65b018062d06f5471002f40ac3873

Here is the code list of my remote:-
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probably any number of reasons why you are reading back 0 or not reading anything back. Do you have batteries in your remote? It could be the usb chip is not even reading anything.

There are some steps to test your cable using TeraTerm. I think one test is to loop DB9 pin2 and DB9 pin3 together to verify you can send/receive characters. I don't know where that document is anymore.

Right now, it doesn't matter what model you choose as IR8.04 can't download anything. It can't download a signature to match your remote in its database.
Tiku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i have the batteries in the remote,i have checked volts using realterm,

RTS(7) volts showing +5V when i click on Clear it shows -5v
same with TXD(3) when click on Clear Break volts drops down -5v and when pressed Set Break its showing +5v
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: