JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

turning on TV remotely

View previous topic :: View next topic  
just4fn

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: turning on TV remotely Reply with quote

Been a while since I visited this forum. I am familiar with JP1 but not an expert. I do also have a slingbox. My mother has Alzheimer's and is having troubles figuring out how to turn her tv on and off. I think slingbox may be the answer. Question is, can I program her tv into the slingbox codes including power on and off so I can change channels from my house?

Thanks for the help, Doug
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. But I can't help unless you tell me the manufacturer and model number of the TV
just4fn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a emprex 3202. I made a device upgrade in the TV section. I tried to make a slingbox upgrade, but its a bin file and I cant see it in notepad. I am stuck right now. I don't know where to go from here.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installation of a BIN file depends on your Slingbox:

Slingbox 350/500
----------------
Follow the instructions at:

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-file-on-slingbox-500-and-350/

and use just the PL.BIN file.

Other Slingboxes
----------------
Follow the instructions at:

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/forum/sling-player-remotes/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-files-on-slingboxes-other-than-the-350500-1/

If you have a Pro-HD then use the PL.BIN file. For other Slingboxes try both the files.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug, sorry to hear about your mom. I think that if your mom has progressed to the point of not being able to turn the TV on and off, that maybe she needs supervision, instead of a technology fix. But I understand your desire to put this off as long as you can.

just4fn wrote:
Its a emprex 3202. I made a device upgrade in the TV section. I tried to make a slingbox upgrade, but its a bin file and I cant see it in notepad. I am stuck right now. I don't know where to go from here.

I'm trying to figure out what you want to look at it with notepad? The procedure here is to open your upgrade in RM, change it to the appropriate slingbox, and then export it to bin. One of the things that always hangs me up is the need to pick a setup code between 2000 and 2027, but you've already created yours as 2002. Once you've created the bin, put it in the appropriate folder and follow alan's instructions.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
just4fn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using these instructions:

The Steps to Use a JP1 Upgrade

First, you should probably join the JP1 group at Hifi-Remote.com.
Download the RM program (current version is 1.38) from the Tools folder.
Download the RDF zip file, and either unzip all of the contents or just unzip the two Slingbox RDFs.
Read this document that describes how to use RM.
Locate an upgrade file for your device from the JP1 file section.
Download the file and open it using RM.
Change the remote to the Slingbox - PL version (or to the JU version of you have the older Slingbox model).
Re-arrange the buttons in the Buttons tab as you see fit.
Go back to the setup tab and check what the Device Type and Setup Code are (you can change them if you like).
Select "Advanced" menu option, then select "Export Binary Upgrade". This will give you a windows pop-up screen where you can select where you want to save the binary file, you should navigate to the SBAV folder in your Sling Player directory and save it there.
Open the SABV.cfg file, which can be found in your Sling Player directory, using Notepad or another text editor.
Save a backup copy of it !!!
Find the appropiate section (eg, [SATELLITE.Codes] )
Add an entry like this: Your Device=S1011

It looks like these are not for me.

This may be difficult because I need to use the sling to change the channels on the cable box which is one code and turn on the tv with another code, all with the same remote with the sling. Is that do-able?
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very old instructions, but the procedure up to exporting the Binary upgrade is correct and I assume you have produced the BIN file ?

Then you just follow the installation instructions I posted. Basically you haven't actually told us what your problem is, so it is difficult to offer any help.

You can do the dual-mode with a Slingbox although it is not an ideal solution. Basically you configure one input (with video) to the Cable box. Then you configure another of the inputs to the TV, no need to actually wire it up. Then, to switch the TV power on/off simply select that input and tap the Power button on the virtual remote. Then you can switch to the 'real' cable input and switch channels.
just4fn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No actual problem. Just wondering if I could use slingbox to turn the tv on and off and how to set up the Emprex TV for the slingbox.

My sister and I would need to control the sling from either her house or mine.
Using the 2 different sling remotes for 2 different devices may be the only way. I have the same tv at my house so I will try the sling to see if it works. Thanks for all the advice. Doug
just4fn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can't seem to make a bin file for the Emprex TV. It is not reconized as a valid bin file. It comes out as t2002_ju.bin and I put it in the C: drive and it says its not valid.

Here is a link to the Epmrex upgrade:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4371

I am using the advance tap on RM and it makes the file, but it says not valid.

Can someone try and make a correct bin file for me?

I am using a slingbox pro.
alanrichey
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you were not following the instructions I posted. The JU Chip set was never used in production Slingboxes so I have no idea why you picked that. With a Slingbox Pro you should be using either the PL or RV file.

And don't use 'T', as the Slingbox doesn't like that, use Cable so you get a C2002_PL.BIN and C2002_RV.BIN.

Better ?
just4fn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason I used the Ju was because of the instructions I was using. Here was the instruction:

change the remote to the Slingbox - PL version (or to the JU version of you have the older Slingbox model).

I will try the pl version.

Thanks again.
just4fn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that worked. I can now turn my tv on and off. It will work. Thanks again, Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: